RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

built-in and online user manual format deficiencies

This discussion is connected to the gimp-docs-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

built-in and online user manual format deficiencies Boris Epstein 01 Apr 14:52
  built-in and online user manual format deficiencies Ulf-D. Ehlert 02 Apr 21:25
Boris Epstein
2009-04-01 14:52:01 UTC (about 15 years ago)

Hello everyone,

We are using GIMP 2.4 on OpenSuSE Linux 10.3. Recently, to our great surprise, we discovered that:

1) Both the online and the built-in version of the user manual lacks the search function. That is rather peculiar because to the best of my recollection it was there in the previous versions.

2) The built-in manual (GIMP Help Browser) lacks proper titles for many chapters, displaying "???TITLE???" instead.

There are also other miscellaneous problems of lesser significance but the issues mentioned above are major and make using the help facility barely possible. I am just wondering if there is a plan to fix that. Overall, we like GIMP a lot and it is quite useful, and it is a shame that the user manual/help facility's shortcomings get in the way of a quality user experience.

Thanks.

Boris.

Ulf-D. Ehlert
2009-04-02 21:25:58 UTC (about 15 years ago)

Boris Epstein (Mittwoch, 1. April 2009, 14:52):

We are using GIMP 2.4 on OpenSuSE Linux 10.3. Recently, to our great surprise, we discovered that:

1) Both the online and the built-in version of the user manual lacks the search function. That is rather peculiar because to the best of my recollection it was there in the previous versions.

There was no search function for the gimp-help package shipped with SuSE Linux 9.3 (as far as I remember), and according to

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=152987

it looks like there was no search function for several years.

2) The built-in manual (GIMP Help Browser) lacks proper titles for many chapters, displaying "???TITLE???" instead.

Then you are using an old gimp-help version. This has been (partially) fixed one year ago.
I have just checked my help files, there are still a few (sic!) "FIXME TITLE" titles, but no "???TITLE???".

There are also other miscellaneous problems of lesser significance but the issues mentioned above are major and make using the help facility barely possible.

Really? Of course, a search function would be really helpful, but there is a table of contents and a huge index, both making the manual at least usable - far from "using barely possible". Using toc and index is the way you would work with a printed manual, BTW.

I am just wondering if there is a plan to fix that.

Generating help titles should be fixed (before the next release?).

Don't know if we (who - documenters or developers?) should try to add a search function...

..., and it is a shame that the user manual/help facility's shortcomings get in the way of a quality user experience.

Hmm, "a shame" - that's a bit rude, isn't it?

Bye, Ulf