RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

key index po

This discussion is connected to the gimp-docs-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

key index po Marco Ciampa 11 May 08:54
  key index po Sven Neumann 11 May 09:22
   key index po Marco Ciampa 11 May 10:03
    key index po Sven Neumann 11 May 10:07
     key index po Marco Ciampa 11 May 13:30
Marco Ciampa
2007-05-11 08:54:18 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

key index po

Some comments on the new key index po file.

1) as already said, the file .pot should contain the key descriptions only, not the keys, with the translation of the name of the keys such as that often in the italian keyboards is .

2) in the translation credits it is suggested to use a row for every author. If you do so you cannot commit the file since the traslation strings differ in the number of the \n chars and msgfmt signals it before doingthe commit. Is there anyway to circunvent this? I commited the string file with one single row to make it go fine.

3) now that there is the file .po, how can I create the xml index file?

TIA

Sven Neumann
2007-05-11 09:22:06 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

key index po

Hi,

On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 08:54 +0200, Marco Ciampa wrote:

2) in the translation credits it is suggested to use a row for every author. If you do so you cannot commit the file since the traslation strings differ in the number of the \n chars and msgfmt signals it before doing the commit. Is there anyway to circunvent this? I commited the string file with one single row to make it go fine.

msgfmt shouldn't complain about a different number of newline characters. It will only complain if your translation ends in a newline character and the original string doesn't. Look at po/it.po in the gimp tree. Using newlines works fine there.

Sven

Marco Ciampa
2007-05-11 10:03:34 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

key index po

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 09:22:06AM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 08:54 +0200, Marco Ciampa wrote:

2) in the translation credits it is suggested to use a row for every author. If you do so you cannot commit the file since the traslation strings differ in the number of the \n chars and msgfmt signals it before doing the commit. Is there anyway to circunvent this? I commited the string file with one single row to make it go fine.

msgfmt shouldn't complain about a different number of newline characters. It will only complain if your translation ends in a newline character and the original string doesn't. Look at po/it.po in the gimp tree. Using newlines works fine there.

Ok, thanks, if I uderstand correctly, if the file po/gimp-keys.pot is machine generated, someone should add to the source string "translator-credits" simply a \n to the end of it to permit to insert a multi row message in the translated string.

bye

Sven Neumann
2007-05-11 10:07:18 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

key index po

Hi,

On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 10:03 +0200, Marco Ciampa wrote:

Ok, thanks, if I uderstand correctly, if the file po/gimp-keys.pot is machine generated, someone should add to the source string "translator-credits" simply a \n to the end of it to permit to insert a multi row message in the translated string.

No, that would be wrong. Please have a look at po/it.po in the gimp source tree. Do you see a trailing newline there in the msgstr?

Marco, could you please show us the exact error message from msgfmt together with the relevant lines of the po file?

Sven

Marco Ciampa
2007-05-11 13:30:37 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

key index po

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 10:07:18AM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 10:03 +0200, Marco Ciampa wrote:

No, that would be wrong. Please have a look at po/it.po in the gimp source tree. Do you see a trailing newline there in the msgstr?

Ok now I have it (finally!). If the source string is without _final_ \n, then the multiline translated string could have multiple \n termninated string rows but the last should _not_ have the terminating \n.

Thank you for your patience.