RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Is GIMP freeware?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-docs-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Is GIMP freeware? Axel Wernicke 04 Feb 20:24
  Is GIMP freeware? Roman Joost 04 Feb 21:17
  Is GIMP freeware? Sven Neumann 04 Feb 22:20
   Is GIMP freeware? Axel Wernicke 04 Feb 22:28
    Is GIMP freeware? Sven Neumann 04 Feb 23:01
     Is GIMP freeware? Roman Joost 05 Feb 08:53
      Is GIMP freeware? Marco Ciampa 05 Feb 10:49
Axel Wernicke
2007-02-04 20:24:01 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Is GIMP freeware?

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1

Hi all,

There is at least one page in the manual that says "GIMP would not be freeware, but released under GPL". But as far as I understand the wikipedia definition of freeware, freeware just means that the software can be used for free (without any charge) for an unlimited time. I'd say GIMP _is_ freeware - is it, or isn't it?!

Greetings,

lexA - ---
Remember: There are only two tools in life. WD-40, for when something doesn't move, and should, and Duct Tape, for when something is moving and it shouldn't.
So does the universe explode if you spray duct tape with WD-40?

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (Darwin)

iD8DBQFFxjLTR9mXLVsAbiQRAq4zAJ93OlDusG7NM2FjxlQHdxumKsk1uACgvwo1 zztO0TZQb2jqRpGxACw6AMQ=
=vhPR
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Roman Joost
2007-02-04 21:17:38 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Is GIMP freeware?

Hey Axel,

On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 08:24:01PM +0100, Axel Wernicke wrote:

There is at least one page in the manual that says "GIMP would not be freeware, but released under GPL". But as far as I understand the wikipedia definition of freeware, freeware just means that the software can be used for free (without any charge) for an unlimited time. I'd say GIMP _is_ freeware - is it, or isn't it?!

I don't think GIMP is freeware. If you compare freeware with free software only from the monetary aspect of view than you found something common.

But I think (backed up by what I read) the point is, that software which is released as Freeware, doesn't give you the right to see the source code and neither modify it. So Freeware is mostly distributed in binary form. Of course, you don't pay any money and you can give it away for free (as in free beer), but you won't have the right to modify this piece of software.

GIMP is free software (not as in free beer, as in free speech) and that's the point here. You can see the source code and modify it. Of course, not the main points for free software, there are others. So, see the wikipedia page for more information ;)

Greetings,

Sven Neumann
2007-02-04 22:20:20 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Is GIMP freeware?

Hi,

On Sun, 2007-02-04 at 20:24 +0100, Axel Wernicke wrote:

You are free to use it. But otherwise the license (GPL) is very strict about what you are allowed to do. But one can indeed argue that GIMP is both freeware and free software. But, as Wikipedia also states, we prefer to exclusively call it free software to avoid confusion with freeware that usually does not come with the source code and is therefore proprietary software.

Sven

Axel Wernicke
2007-02-04 22:28:06 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Is GIMP freeware?

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1

Hi,

Am 04.02.2007 um 22:20 schrieb Sven Neumann:

Hi,

On Sun, 2007-02-04 at 20:24 +0100, Axel Wernicke wrote:

You are free to use it. But otherwise the license (GPL) is very strict about what you are allowed to do. But one can indeed argue that GIMP is
both freeware and free software. But, as Wikipedia also states, we prefer to exclusively call it free software to avoid confusion with freeware that usually does not come with the source code and is therefore proprietary software.

OK, I understand that. May be we should avoid the term freeware in the manual at all and instead describe that GIMP is free software and explain what free software means.

Btw. the following paragraph is also from the english wikipedia and would suggest that free software is freeware too: "Variations

There are many variations of freeware. Freeware is an umbrella term which can include loss leaders (in the form of crippleware), public domain software, free software, proprietary software, and shareware when there is no price to be paid to use the software."

Greetings, lexA

Sven

- ---
Live is like a chocolate box, you never know what you wanna get... GPG Signatur auf http://wernicke-online.net/Impressum/ pr?fen

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (Darwin)

iD8DBQFFxk/oR9mXLVsAbiQRAtwJAKD1t+Y/7TD3WwtuU3rYXcnIO0oZ8wCgg25M ShD6LjZsft7mJHtmlSnNauY=
=AJyP
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Sven Neumann
2007-02-04 23:01:27 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Is GIMP freeware?

Hi,

On Sun, 2007-02-04 at 22:28 +0100, Axel Wernicke wrote:

OK, I understand that. May be we should avoid the term freeware in the manual at all and instead describe that GIMP is free software and explain what free software means.

Yes. That would IMO be the best thing to do.

Sven

Roman Joost
2007-02-05 08:53:25 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Is GIMP freeware?

On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 11:01:27PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Do we really want to explain what free software means? You can write a whole book about that topic. I would rather state that GIMP is free software including a link for more information.

Greetings,

Marco Ciampa
2007-02-05 10:49:30 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Is GIMP freeware?

On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 08:53:25AM +0100, Roman Joost wrote:

On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 11:01:27PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Do we really want to explain what free software means? You can write a whole book about that topic. I would rather state that GIMP is free software including a link for more information.

Yeah! And the gnu project or free software fundation or wikipedia have the translations of the definition in every language the gimp manual is translated in. You just have to look for a good definition translation available on the Web.

Please do not reinvent the wheel...