RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Image files do not honour ALL_LINGUAS during installation.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-docs-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

23 of 23 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Image files does not honour ALL_LINGUAS during installation. Peter Volkov (pva) 21 Jan 16:36
  Image files does not honour ALL_LINGUAS during installation. Axel Wernicke 21 Jan 17:14
   Image files does not honour ALL_LINGUAS during installation. Peter Volkov (pva) 21 Jan 18:36
  Image files does not honour ALL_LINGUAS during installation. Roman Joost 24 Jan 13:05
   Image files does not honour ALL_LINGUAS during installation. Sven Neumann 24 Jan 20:02
    Image files does not honour ALL_LINGUAS during installation. Roman Joost 25 Jan 08:54
     Image files does not honour ALL_LINGUAS during installation. Axel Wernicke 25 Jan 22:11
   Image files do not honour ALL_LINGUAS during installation. Peter Volkov (pva) 27 Jan 09:35
    Image files do not honour ALL_LINGUAS during installation. Roman Joost 27 Jan 10:08
    Image files do not honour ALL_LINGUAS during installation. Axel Wernicke 28 Jan 12:16
     Image files do not honour ALL_LINGUAS during installation. Roman Joost 28 Jan 13:39
     Image files do not honour ALL_LINGUAS during installation. Roman Joost 28 Jan 14:07
      Image files do not honour ALL_LINGUAS during installation. Axel Wernicke 28 Jan 17:06
Image files does not honour ALL_LINGUASduring installation. kol-stue at online.no (Kolbj 26 Jan 19:59
  Image files does not honour ALL_LINGUASduring installation. Roman Joost 26 Jan 21:39
   Image files does not honour ALL_LINGUASduring installation. Axel Wernicke 26 Jan 22:31
    Image files does not honour ALL_LINGUASduring installation. Roman Joost 27 Jan 08:48
     Image files does not honour ALL_LINGUASduring installation. Axel Wernicke 27 Jan 09:01
Image files do not honour ALL_LINGUASduring installation. Kolbjørn Stuestøl 27 Jan 15:27
Image files do not honourALL_LINGUASduring installation. Kolbjørn Stuestøl 27 Jan 16:57
Image files do not honour ALL_LINGUASduring installation. kol-stue at online.no (Kolbj 30 Jan 22:47
  Image files do not honour ALL_LINGUASduring installation. Roman Joost 05 Feb 10:54
   Image files do not honour ALL_LINGUAS during installation. Peter Volkov (pva) 05 Feb 12:07
Peter Volkov (pva)
2007-01-21 16:36:51 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Image files does not honour ALL_LINGUAS during installation.

Hello.

Currently gimp-doc does not use ALL_LINGUAS during images installation and thus installs all images even if ALL_LINGUAS was set only to en. This increases building time if configured with --enable-convert as more pictures requires Converting and also this increase disk usage of installed documentation. Suggested fix for the problem in attachment (patch against Makefile.am). Can anybody review and if this is correct fix apply it in your cvs?

If this mailing list is wrong place to report bugs, I'm sorry in advance... I have not found better place. Please, point me to the right one.

In any way thank you for your time, Peter.
-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: gimp-help-2.0.11-image-honour-ALL_LINGUAS.patch Type: text/x-patch
Size: 2142 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : /lists/gimp-docs/attachments/20070121/ab85d591/attachment.bin -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 189 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part Url : /lists/gimp-docs/attachments/20070121/ab85d591/attachment-0001.bin

Axel Wernicke
2007-01-21 17:14:02 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

despite I didn't have a closer look to the patch I'm in doubt that the risk of that patch weights out the benefits.

potential benefits: - faster building if conversion is enabled. -> does the conversion work at all? AFAIK at least for german the converted screenshots look terrible
- less hd space used

potential risks: - image linking is in no way limited to one language in the docbook sources -> e.g. are images that are missing for a certain language are usually replaced by the same image in another language.

btw. are the installations of gimp-docs usually done for specific languages anyways? Do the installers of the usual suspects respect the user language at all?

Greetings, lexA

Am 21.01.2007 um 16:36 schrieb Peter Volkov (pva):

Hello.

Currently gimp-doc does not use ALL_LINGUAS during images installation and thus installs all images even if ALL_LINGUAS was set only to en. This increases building time if configured with --enable-convert as more
pictures requires Converting and also this increase disk usage of installed documentation. Suggested fix for the problem in attachment (patch against Makefile.am). Can anybody review and if this is correct fix apply it in your cvs?

If this mailing list is wrong place to report bugs, I'm sorry in advance... I have not found better place. Please, point me to the right
one.

In any way thank you for your time, Peter.

Peter Volkov (pva)
2007-01-21 18:36:07 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On Sun, 2007-01-21 at 17:14 +0100, Axel Wernicke wrote:

are the installations of gimp-docs usually done for specific languages anyways? Do the installers of the usual suspects respect the user language at all?

Sure. In Gentoo package manager build gimp-help from sources and should honour LINGUAS variable. Thus you can install package only for specific language(s). Fex, I have LINGUAS="en ru" and thus package manager sets ALL_LINGUAS to "en ru" during build and builds/installs only required languages. :) If you wish, take a look at gimp-help ebuild - script to build and install gimp-help package:

http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/app-doc/gimp-help/

BTW. I've measured size for gimp-help installation with ALL_LINGUAS="ru en". Without patch I attached to the previous letter it occupies 37934036 bytes (42M) and with the patch 20808336 bytes (24M). I'm sure that patch or similar should be applied.

Peter. -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part Url : /lists/gimp-docs/attachments/20070121/4b68844d/attachment.bin

Roman Joost
2007-01-24 13:05:05 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi Peter,

On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 06:36:51PM +0300, Peter Volkov (pva) wrote:

Currently gimp-doc does not use ALL_LINGUAS during images installation and thus installs all images even if ALL_LINGUAS was set only to en. This increases building time if configured with --enable-convert as more pictures requires Converting and also this increase disk usage of installed documentation. Suggested fix for the problem in attachment (patch against Makefile.am). Can anybody review and if this is correct fix apply it in your cvs?

I tried your patch today. Thanks a bunch, it's a good start. The current problem is -- like Axel already mentioned -- other languages are using images from English.
If you create the HTML files for only one language (e.g Russian or German) than you won't see most of the images.

There are two possibilities to solve this:

1) We leave the patch as it is and change the directory structure (put every common used image in a 'common' directory for example)
2) You have to modify your patch and add a fallback, so the patch includes *some* English screenshots.

I would really like to see the second idea happen. What do you think? Would you be able to do this?
If this issue is fixed, we can also provide prebuilt HTML tarballs for each release. So, you would solve a big task here :)

Btw. a god place to paste a new patch would be bugzilla. File a bug against GIMP (Help component), and put your patches there. We don't have an own module in bugzilla, yet.

Greetings,

Sven Neumann
2007-01-24 20:02:28 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2007-01-24 at 13:05 +0100, Roman Joost wrote:

I tried your patch today. Thanks a bunch, it's a good start. The current problem is -- like Axel already mentioned -- other languages are using images from English.
If you create the HTML files for only one language (e.g Russian or German) than you won't see most of the images.

Since the GIMP help browser uses English as the default fallback language it seems to make sense to ensure that the english manual is always installed.

Btw. a god place to paste a new patch would be bugzilla. File a bug against GIMP (Help component), and put your patches there. We don't have an own module in bugzilla, yet.

Why isn't there a gimp-help product yet? Did you get any response to your request for it?

Sven

Roman Joost
2007-01-25 08:54:36 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi Sven, Hey Peter,

On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 08:02:28PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Since the GIMP help browser uses English as the default fallback language it seems to make sense to ensure that the english manual is always installed.

Right - it's working for me as well and it'll go into our repository then.

Why isn't there a gimp-help product yet? Did you get any response to your request for it?

Yep - last response was from Elijah Newren (#396142). I'll wait untill beginning of February and ask again what happened.

Greetings,

Axel Wernicke
2007-01-25 22:11:57 UTC (about 17 years ago)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1

Hi all,

Am 25.01.2007 um 08:54 schrieb Roman Joost:

Hi Sven, Hey Peter,

On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 08:02:28PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

I tried your patch today. Thanks a bunch, it's a good start. The current
problem is -- like Axel already mentioned -- other languages are using
images from English.

Right - it's working for me as well and it'll go into our repository then.

argh - that patch does not work. I just applied it and did a complete rebuild for de only[1].
First problem is "find: -wholename: unknown expression primary", obviously the -wholename parameter does not exist on the OS X version of find?!
As a result (?) all(!) images are missing in the html version. I guess we need to review this urgently.

Greetings, lexA

[1]: axel-wernickes-computer:~/Documents/Projekte/gimp-help-2 axelwernicke $ make ALL_LINGUAS="de"
mkdir -p -- html/de
mkdir -p -- pdf/de
*** Creating directories ***
Language: de
find: -wholename: unknown expression primary mkdir -p -- xml
- -- Profiling XML for de
- -- Validating XML for de number of errors: 0 *** Validating profiled XML ***
Log files of the validation process have been generated in the xml directory.
Please correct any errors before writing new content. *** Copying images ***
Language: de
find: -wholename: unknown expression primary *** Copying stylesheets ***
- -- Building HTML for de
Writing gimp-xrefs.xml for book(gimp-main) Writing pr01.html for preface
Writing ch01s02s02.html for sect2
Writing ch01s02s03.html for sect2

- --- Remember: There are only two tools in life. WD-40, for when something doesn't move, and should, and Duct Tape, for when something is moving and it shouldn't.
So does the universe explode if you spray duct tape with WD-40?

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (Darwin)

iD8DBQFFuR0eR9mXLVsAbiQRAugwAKDh/ibq73zi0zsja3IbiZEO7YN/pACdHWzE XOrh35d3jspElNOzzqTJjaQ=
=AfoW
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

kol-stue at online.no (Kolbj
2007-01-26 19:59:05 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Image files does not honour ALL_LINGUASduring installation.

----- Original Message ---

Roman Joost
2007-01-26 21:39:27 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 07:59:05PM +0100, KolbjXrn StuestXl wrote:

argh - that patch does not work. I just applied it and did a complete rebuild for de only[1].
First problem is "find: -wholename: unknown expression primary", obviously the -wholename parameter does not exist on the OS X version of find?!

Well does or does it not exist on the Mac OS X platform?

I find the following description in the find manpage:

*wholename* pattern File name matches shell pattern pattern. The metacharacters do not treat `/' or `.' specially; so, for example, find . -wholename './sr*sc' will print an entry for a directory called './src/misc' (if one exists). To ignore a whole directory tree, use -prune rather than checking every file in the tree. For example, to skip the directory `src/emacs' and all files and directories under it, and print the names of the other files found, do something like this:
find . -wholename './src/emacs' -prune -o -print

As a result (?) all(!) images are missing in the html version. I guess we need to review this urgently.

As I tried with my built, don't do it for one language only. All translations are using English based images. As Sven stated, it makes also sense to install English as a fallback language.

It doesn't work for me either.

But of more importance to me:

I get no error messages about the missing image files. I had to look through the html files to find them.

Why not put all the 'en' images in an 'en' folder leaving the common images in the root in each folder? It would then be necessary to copy only the common images + lang specific images (folders). Perhaps there is other problems using this solution?

Hm.. no - see the solution above.

Greetings,

Axel Wernicke
2007-01-26 22:31:56 UTC (about 17 years ago)

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1

Am 26.01.2007 um 21:39 schrieb Roman Joost:

argh - that patch does not work. I just applied it and did a complete
rebuild for de only[1].
First problem is "find: -wholename: unknown expression primary", obviously the -wholename parameter does not exist on the OS X version
of find?!

the parameter does not show up in man find and a dirty try showed:

find -wholename find: illegal option -- w
find: illegal option -- h
find: illegal option -- o
find: illegal option -- l
find: illegal option -- e
find: illegal option -- n
find: illegal option -- a
find: illegal option -- m
find: illegal option -- e
usage: find [-H | -L | -P] [-EXdsx] [-f file] [file ...] [expression]

I guess that means, that this option does not exist on darwin / OS X

Greetings, lexA

As I tried with my built, don't do it for one language only. All translations are using English based images. As Sven stated, it makes also sense to install English as a fallback language.

well I do now this and tried it with ALL_LINGUAS="en de" too of course. In addition I replaced the -wholename by -name. The results where not very promising anyways. de images where still missing.

It doesn't work for me either.

But of more importance to me:

I get no error messages about the missing image files. I had to look through
the html files to find them.

Why not put all the 'en' images in an 'en' folder leaving the common images in
the root in each folder? It would then be necessary to copy only the common
images + lang specific images (folders). Perhaps there is other problems using
this solution?

uh, which solution?!

Greetings, lexA

Greetings,

Roman Joost
2007-01-27 08:48:29 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Moin Axel,

On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 10:31:56PM +0100, Axel Wernicke wrote:

argh - that patch does not work. I just applied it and did a complete
rebuild for de only[1].
First problem is "find: -wholename: unknown expression primary", obviously the -wholename parameter does not exist on the OS X version
of find?!

the parameter does not show up in man find and a dirty try showed: [...]

What version of find do you use on OS X? Either we need to rewrite the way, the target is trying to find the images or - maybe - you can update your 'find'.

well I do know this and tried it with ALL_LINGUAS="en de" too of course. In addition I replaced the -wholename by -name. The results where not very promising anyways. de images where still missing.

Heh - of course it won't work. The find command doesn't perform the necessary operation, which is: finding the necessary files.

[...]
Perhaps there is other
problems using
this solution?

uh, which solution?!

Creating HTML for two languages: English as a fallback and German, for example.

Greetings,

Axel Wernicke
2007-01-27 09:01:27 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi Roman,

Am 27.01.2007 um 08:48 schrieb Roman Joost:

Moin Axel,

On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 10:31:56PM +0100, Axel Wernicke wrote:

[...]

What version of find do you use on OS X? Either we need to rewrite the way, the target is trying to find the images or - maybe - you can update
your 'find'.

well, besides I'm using the most recent OS X version 10.4.8 I doubt that find changes much trough versions. It a very old command and unlikely to change often. May be that is just one of the examples where different *nix platforms simply are that - different. Since the manual belongs to GIMP and GIMP is running on dozens of different OS's, we might leave out the more exotic parameters anyways?! What exactly does the -wholename do? Is there not a more portable way to do it?

[...]

uh, which solution?!

Creating HTML for two languages: English as a fallback and German, for example.

[x] agreed

Greetings, lexA

Greetings,

Peter Volkov (pva)
2007-01-27 09:35:38 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hello.

Thank you all for feedback. Roman, Sven I've fixed patch. The following modifications were done:

* Always install pictures in listed in IMAGE_DIRS (images for en) * find does not use -wholename option. Axel, I hope grep exist on darwin / Mac OS (?) Could you, please, test this patch? * As Martin (in our bugzilla) suggested process of copying should abort on error

With this changes I'd like to point your attention at two things: 1. Now it's possible to create "en" directory for images which are required only for English language. Build process will not install this images if "en" it not in ALL_LINGUAS 2. If you ever create new base images subdirectory (in other words subdirectory which is *not* $lang subdirectory) it's necessary to list that directory in IMAGE_DIRS inside Makefile.am. This change I've documented in README (another patch in attachment).

Kolbj?rn, if this patch does not work for you, please, give me a little bit more details. At least I need to know what do you have in ALL_LINGUAS.

Btw. a good place to paste a new patch would be bugzilla.

Ok. It's not clear what does website component means either this is default for all languages or does it affects www site only, but in any case, here it is:
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/401263

BTW. I found that version 0.12 for gimp-help exist in bugzilla but I have not found this release on download page. Could anybody clarify on that? I'm new to list. Is there supposed to be any announce on this list?

Peter.
-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: README.patch
Type: text/x-patch
Size: 522 bytes
Url : /lists/gimp-docs/attachments/20070127/b7e511a0/attachment-0003.bin -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: gimp-help-2.0.11-image-honour-ALL_LINGUAS.patch Type: text/x-patch
Size: 2168 bytes
Url : /lists/gimp-docs/attachments/20070127/b7e511a0/attachment-0004.bin -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part Url : /lists/gimp-docs/attachments/20070127/b7e511a0/attachment-0005.bin

Roman Joost
2007-01-27 10:08:24 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 11:35:38AM +0300, Peter Volkov (pva) wrote:

Ok. It's not clear what does website component means either this is default for all languages or does it affects www site only, but in any case, here it is:

Thanks - I moved it to 'General' component. I wonder if we really need something like a 'technical' component.

BTW. I found that version 0.12 for gimp-help exist in bugzilla but I have not found this release on download page. Could anybody clarify on that? I'm new to list. Is there supposed to be any announce on this list?

No - there isn't such a version yet. I just added it as a future version. Sorry for the confusion - i'll fix that.

Greetings,

Kolbjørn Stuestøl
2007-01-27 15:27:20 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Image files do not honour ALL_LINGUASduring installation.

Kolbjørn Stuestøl
2007-01-27 16:57:52 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Image files do not honourALL_LINGUASduring installation.

Axel Wernicke
2007-01-28 12:16:14 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi there,

I'm sorry, but I cant apply the patch you sent. Which was the version you patched in terms of svn revision? Or even better, can please somebody send me a patched Makefile.am ?

Thanks a lot.

lexA

Am 27.01.2007 um 09:35 schrieb Peter Volkov (pva):

Hello.

Thank you all for feedback. Roman, Sven I've fixed patch. The following
modifications were done:

* Always install pictures in listed in IMAGE_DIRS (images for en) * find does not use -wholename option. Axel, I hope grep exist on darwin / Mac OS (?) Could you, please, test this patch? * As Martin (in our bugzilla) suggested process of copying should abort
on error

With this changes I'd like to point your attention at two things: 1. Now it's possible to create "en" directory for images which are required only for English language. Build process will not install this
images if "en" it not in ALL_LINGUAS 2. If you ever create new base images subdirectory (in other words subdirectory which is *not* $lang subdirectory) it's necessary to list that directory in IMAGE_DIRS inside Makefile.am. This change I've documented in README (another patch in attachment).

Kolbj?rn, if this patch does not work for you, please, give me a little
bit more details. At least I need to know what do you have in ALL_LINGUAS.

Peter.

Roman Joost
2007-01-28 13:39:09 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi Axel,

On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 12:16:14PM +0100, Axel Wernicke wrote:

I'm sorry, but I cant apply the patch you sent. Which was the version you patched in terms of svn revision? Or even better, can please somebody send me a patched Makefile.am ?

If you want to try the Patch Peter sent, download it from the bug registered in bugzilla:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=401263

If you want to revert local changes on your sandbox, use:

svn revert Makefile.am

for example.

Greetings,

Roman Joost
2007-01-28 14:07:12 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Just tried the patch and it works for me well.

Axel you want to use Revision 1583 of the Makefile.am. Sorry - was a bit to fast replying to your last mail ;)

Greetings,

Axel Wernicke
2007-01-28 17:06:18 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi list,

1. the patch can be applied - if you try to patch Revision 1583 -> it worked for me

2. the language dependent building for images works with this patch. I've no obligations against putting it into the svn by now.

Greetings, lexA

Am 28.01.2007 um 14:07 schrieb Roman Joost:

I'm sorry, but I cant apply the patch you sent. Which was the version you
patched in terms of svn revision? Or even better, can please somebody send me a
patched Makefile.am ?

Just tried the patch and it works for me well.

Axel you want to use Revision 1583 of the Makefile.am. Sorry - was a bit
to fast replying to your last mail ;)

Greetings,

kol-stue at online.no (Kolbj
2007-01-30 22:47:02 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi
The make ALL_LINGUAS="no" command now works fine, creating only the common ('en') images + the 'no' folders. But there is a minor bug somewhere: It looks like the program is trying to create the html folder twice:

*** Creating directories *** Creating base image dirrectories.
mkdir: cannot create directory `html/images/.': File exists .
This appears even if I start the make from scratch without any of the folders normally created by the program itself. Kolbjoern

Roman Joost
2007-02-05 10:54:51 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 10:47:02PM +0100, KolbjXrn StuestXl wrote:

Hi
The make ALL_LINGUAS="no" command now works fine, creating only the common ('en') images + the 'no' folders. But there is a minor bug somewhere: It looks like the program is trying to create the html folder twice:

This appears even if I start the make from scratch without any of the folders normally created by the program itself.

I'd recommend filing a bug on bugzilla. I'll won't have the time to fix this minor thing this week.

Thanks,

Peter Volkov (pva)
2007-02-05 12:07:15 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On ???, 2007-02-05 at 10:54 +0100, Roman Joost wrote:

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 10:47:02PM +0100, KolbjXrn StuestXl wrote:

This appears even if I start the make from scratch without any of the folders normally created by the program itself.

I'd recommend filing a bug on bugzilla. I'll won't have the time to fix this minor thing this week.

I have not responded as I do not know how to reproduce this bug. Also I do not think that this error sits in Makefile. Directories are created with mkinstalldirs script which should exit without errors if directory exist.

I think problem comes from automake version that you use. Try to update it, or try to use mkinstalldirs which comes with gimp-help-0.11.

Also, please, test build process with gimp-help-0.11, applying patch from http://bugzilla.gnome.org/401263 .

Peter. -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part Url : /lists/gimp-docs/attachments/20070205/475820cb/attachment.bin