New experimental version: GIMP 2.9.6 has a lot of new cool stuff
The GIMP devs are working hard and now there is a new developing version which contains lots of new cool stuff!
GIMP 2.9.6 is an important new milestone leading to GIMP 2.10 – the current version shows what coming to the users and it can be tested by everyone already!
New in GIMP 2.9.6:
- Performance: GIMP now tries to use as many cores as possible (it’s not really stable yet, but the devs want a lot of feedback to make it more stable). They want to have it in 2.10! If you experience to many errors you can always se the cores to 1 and everything is going smoother then.
- Layer masks: you can now overtake the values from the last mask, which makes the wrok-flow faster if you deal with lots of masks and layers.
- Groups: When using lots of layer groups you can now tag them by color to better manage everything which is really great! Besides that there is a new group layer mode called “Pass Through” which lets you control the projection on other layers. See images beside.
- Better Hi-DPI support, especially for GIMPs icons
- On canvas tools can now be re-used inside other filters which is exceptionally cool in regards of user interaction. Shown in a short video: the use of the measurement tool (normally measures the distance line between two points) on the “spiral” filter (which creates a spiral form on the screen) which is there used to control parameters (make the spiral thinner or bigger) just by making the measuring line longer or shorter.
- new layer modes (incl a backend where it’s easy to create new modes). There is also better integration of the linear color mode.
- CIE LCH and CIE LAB color spaces are now supported even more prominent
- New tools: Handle Transform, Warp-Transform (works faster now!), Free Select now waiting for an ENTER/RETURN before selection is complete
- Lots has been done on the painting side also. The canvas rotation works better now, painting with bitmap brushed is more performant, the Smudge tool now has a flow control (very nice for painting) and you can now paint on transparently on other layer modes than “Normal”.
- RAW images can be opened now using different plugins and darktable is now supported as backend.
- Better WebP- and PSD-Plugin support
- New Metadata viewer and editor Exiv2 (for Exif, XMP, IPTC, and DICOM)
- GIMP now has 9 new GEGL based filters (wavelet decompose! and more)
More information and more images on everything mentioned above can be found on the GIMP website: