RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Problems unsubscribing

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Commandline xcf->jpg converter Scott Lamb 06 Jan 19:29
  Commandline xcf->jpg converter Marc) (A.) (Lehmann 06 Jan 19:39
  Problems unsubscribing Mick Russotti 07 Jan 13:37
Commandline xcf->jpg converter Scott Lamb 07 Jan 06:23
Scott Lamb
2003-01-06 19:29:19 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Commandline xcf->jpg converter

Lately I've been keeping my websites under version control. I like to keep only files that can't be generated from others. Currently, I'm keeping jpegs generated from gimp files because I can't find an easy way to convert from xcf->jpg on my server.

I noticed ImageMagick now can read both xcf and psd files. But I saw a couple problems:

- it failed on a xcf for me with "convert: Memory allocation failed (top-conn.xcf)." I've got a gig of swap free, so this seems unlikely.

- on the equivalent psd file, it just generated a png for each layer, not compositing them as gimp or Photoshop would.

Is there any other tool that can do this from the commandline? Or some around these problems with ImageMagick?

Thanks, Scott

Marc) (A.) (Lehmann
2003-01-06 19:39:02 UTC (about 21 years ago)

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 12:29:19PM -0600, Scott Lamb wrote:

I noticed ImageMagick now can read both xcf and psd files. But I saw a couple problems:

You could try xcftopnm, which comes with gimp. Since it starts gimp to do the job, it's quite slow, but it should work for any xcf the gimp can read.

Use it like (man xcftopnm should work, too):

xcf2pnm xxx.xcf | pnmtojpeg >xxx.jpg xcf2pnm xxx.xcf | convert pnm:- xxx.jpg

- it failed on a xcf for me with "convert: Memory allocation failed (top-conn.xcf)." I've got a gig of swap free, so this seems unlikely.

imagemagick is the biggets memory hog you'll ever see ;) You might want to experiment with the -limit argument (man imagemagick), however, the limits are per default unlimited, so this is very strange indeed and is probably a bug in imagemagicks xcf-loader.

Scott Lamb
2003-01-07 06:23:59 UTC (about 21 years ago)

pcg@goof.com ( Marc) (A.) (Lehmann ) wrote:

You could try xcftopnm, which comes with gimp. Since it starts gimp to do the job, it's quite slow, but it should work for any xcf the gimp can read.

Ahh. I didn't notice this tool because it wasn't in the gimp rpm distributed with RedHat 8.0. Yes, it does almost exactly what I want. The one exception is the "starts gimp to do the job", which in addition to causing slowness, apparently means it requires an X11 server running. I'll probably set up a dummy X11 server to get around it. As a long term solution, it would be nice if other apps could use this part of the gimp's code without all the graphical client stuff.

Thanks, Scott

Mick Russotti
2003-01-07 13:37:20 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Problems unsubscribing

There seems to be a problem with the unsubscribe script on the site.

I have tried to unsubscribe on several occasions with no luck.

Any suggestions on how to get off this list?