RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Drop-shadows in ImageMagick

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Drop-shadows in ImageMagick Debra Douglass 27 Jun 17:52
Drop-shadows in ImageMagick Debra Douglass 27 Jun 23:50
20020627190105.342721F078@l... 07 Oct 20:15
  Drop-shadows in ImageMagick Michael J. Hammel 27 Jun 22:06
Debra Douglass
2002-06-27 17:52:20 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

I've notice several people here are familiar with the ImageMagick tools. Could someone help me with a quick question? Could you tell me, using Gimp or one of the ImageMagick tools, how to add a drop-shadow to a jpeg image (preferably by command line) where the dimensions of the image remain the same plus the shadow?

(width-orig-image + shadow-width) * (height-orig-image + shadow-height) = new-image-width * new-image-height.

Thanks,

-Debra

Michael J. Hammel
2002-06-27 22:06:29 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Thus spoke Debra Douglass

I've notice several people here are familiar with the ImageMagick tools. Could someone help me with a quick question? Could you tell me, using Gimp or one of the ImageMagick tools, how to add a drop-shadow to a jpeg image (preferably by command line) where the dimensions of the image remain the same plus the shadow?

(width-orig-image + shadow-width) * (height-orig-image + shadow-height) = new-image-width * new-image-height.

This assumes an image with only one layer to start with.

1. Add an alpha channel to your layer. 2. Add a new layer below your current one. Make it the color you want for the background.
3. Resize your original layer down by X pixels in both width and height. "X" is the offset you'll use for the drop shadow, which will default to 15 pixels (as you'll see later).
4. With your original layer selected, choose Script-Fu->Shadow->Drop Shadow from the Canvas menus.
5. Make the offset match the "X" value from step 3. Make sure "Allow Resizing" is *not* set.

The drop shadow will be created below your original layer but above the background. You may want reposition your original layer. You can do that using the Layers->Align Layers option.

This won't be exactly right the first time, but fiddle with the steps a little and you'll get it right after a few tries.

Debra Douglass
2002-06-27 23:50:31 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

On 6/27/2002, on gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu, Michael J. Hammel wrote: >>This assumes an image with only one layer to start with. >>
>>1. Add an alpha channel to your layer. >>2. Add a new layer below your current one. Make it the color you want for >> the background.
>>3. Resize your original layer down by X pixels in both width and height. >> "X" is the offset you'll use for the drop shadow, which will default to 15 >> pixels (as you'll see later).
>>4. With your original layer selected, choose Script-Fu->Shadow->Drop Shadow >> from the Canvas menus.
>>5. Make the offset match the "X" value from step 3. Make sure "Allow >> Resizing" is *not* set.
>>
>>The drop shadow will be created below your original layer but above the >>background. You may want reposition your original layer. You can do that >>using the Layers->Align Layers option.

I appreciate your effort to explain this. It is helpful info but misses the intent of my request. That was my fault as I didn't explain it very well. I wanted to preserve the dimensions of the original image; just increasing the size with the addition of the shadow. Another member of this list provided me with a Perl script that makes use of ImageMagick and other tools that enabled me to add a drop shadow to 40 jpeg images in an hour.

-Debra