RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

May be OT: Gimpshop

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

May be OT: Gimpshop John Meyer 27 Feb 03:21
  May be OT: Gimpshop Dave M G 27 Feb 07:57
   May be OT: Gimpshop Sven Neumann 27 Feb 09:41
acfad57e0702262016n789d4f9f... 07 Oct 20:18
  Fwd: May be OT: Gimpshop Chris Mohler 27 Feb 05:37
45E3B72D.1060008@gmail.com 07 Oct 20:18
  May be OT: Gimpshop Chris Mohler 27 Feb 06:03
John Meyer
2007-02-27 03:21:33 UTC (about 17 years ago)

I currently have 2.2.13 of Gimp on Linux. I read about Gimpshop, and my questions are as follows:

1. Is Gimpshop a separate program from Gimp, or is it merely an extension? 2. If it is the former, can Gimpshop and Gimp run on the same machine? 3. If the latter, what extensions do I need for my Gimp?

Chris Mohler
2007-02-27 05:37:42 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Fwd: May be OT: Gimpshop

---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Chris Mohler
Date: Feb 26, 2007 10:16 PM
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] May be OT: Gimpshop To: John Meyer

I've never tried gimpshop. That being said, I think it's a re-package of GIMP - the whole program. If that is the case, I do think that you can run both side-by-side.

Just out of curiosity, what platform (operating system) are you running?

Chris

On 2/26/07, John Meyer wrote:

I currently have 2.2.13 of Gimp on Linux. I read about Gimpshop, and my questions are as follows:

1. Is Gimpshop a separate program from Gimp, or is it merely an extension? 2. If it is the former, can Gimpshop and Gimp run on the same machine? 3. If the latter, what extensions do I need for my Gimp?

Chris Mohler
2007-02-27 06:03:03 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On 2/26/07, John Meyer wrote:

Chris Mohler wrote:

I've never tried gimpshop. That being said, I think it's a re-package of GIMP - the whole program. If that is the case, I do think that you can run both side-by-side.

Just out of curiosity, what platform (operating system) are you running?

Chris

2.6.18.2-34-default and OpenSuse 10.2

I haven't used SuSE in awhile - can it do RPM installs? If so, that would (should?) be a pretty safe method of installing gimpshop without thrashing your current GIMP setup.

If SuSE won't do RPM, I suggest that you wait for advice from a more knowlegeable person on this list, or ask someone over at gimpshop.net.

May the force be with you, Chris

Dave M G
2007-02-27 07:57:02 UTC (about 17 years ago)

John,

I'm not a GIMP expert by any means. But I use GIMP-Shop because, as a Windows/Adobe refugee, I found it to be the easiest transition from my previous environment to open source graphics.

1. Is Gimpshop a separate program from Gimp, or is it merely an extension?

I believe an "extension" would be the best description. You need the core GIMP installation, and then GIMP-Shop merely does its best to move around icons and menu items to be located to what a Photoshop user would find familiar.

I suppose it's more like a "skin" for GIMP, though it's more than superficial.

Also, you might be already aware of this but I feel it's worth mentioning, that GIMP-Shop does its *best* to simulate a Photoshop environment, but since they are different programs with different features, it's inevitable that it can't completely emulate a Photoshop like layout.

2. If it is the former, can Gimpshop and Gimp run on the same machine?

As explained above, GIMP-Shop is not separate, so it's not a matter of having to versions of GIMP running. However, you should be aware that once you install GIMP-Shop, that becomes your default interface for GIMP. If you wanted to have access to both the GIMP-Shop interface, and the standard GIMP interface, that might be possible, but I couldn't tell you how to do it. I only use GIMP with the GIMP-Shop interface.

Also note that, as described on the GIMP-Shop home page, if you want keyboard shortcuts to be similar to Photoshop, you have to download a separate configuration file and copy it to the appropriate directory

3. If the latter, what extensions do I need for my Gimp?

All you need to do is to download GIMP-Shop and install it. It may be available in the repositories for your distribution. I use Ubuntu, and they have a version, but lags behind the latest release on the web site. Fortunately, they make .deb files available for easy installation.

I think I noticed that you're using an .rpm based distribution. I'm not sure if there is a .deb to .rpm converter, or if there are any .rpm files available anywhere. But those are options you could look into. Failing all that, then you would need to download the .tar files, uncompress it, and install "from scratch".

In any case, once you install GIMP-Shop, it takes over as your GIMP interface, and that's all there is to it.

I hope that helps you.

Sven Neumann
2007-02-27 09:41:00 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 15:57 +0900, Dave M G wrote:

I believe an "extension" would be the best description. You need the core GIMP installation, and then GIMP-Shop merely does its best to move around icons and menu items to be located to what a Photoshop user would find familiar.

Last I checked gimpshop was a fork. It installs a not-so-recent copy of GIMP which has several changes applied. That means you won't get the bug-fixes that we have done since gimpshop was forked off and you won't get any support whatsoever from the GIMP developers.

You should also be aware that you will have problems following the GIMP user manual and other documentation if you are using gimpshop.

Sven