RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Bug 119646 – add polygonal select ion tool

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Bug 119646 – add polygonal selecti on tool David Marrs 12 Dec 19:36
  Bug 119646 – add polygonal select ion tool Sven Neumann 12 Dec 21:53
   Bug 119646 – add polygonal selecti on tool David Marrs 13 Dec 21:00
    Bug 119646 – add polygonal select ion tool Sven Neumann 13 Dec 21:39
David Marrs
2006-12-12 19:36:58 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Bug 119646 – add polygonal selecti on tool

Continuing the discussion on bugzilla (1) I have a suggestion for a possble third way.

I remember something being written about vector layers in gimp and found a reference to it at google.com (2). If there was a tool that enabled one to draw vectors, they could be stroked, converted to a selection or converted to paths at the user's will.

Although it's not a quick fix to the problem, it does avoid the possible complication that comes with modifying the free select tool (for example, assigning shift to both add-to-selection and draw-straight-line modifiers) or adding yet another select tool that isn't quite free select and isn't quite bezier path.

Regards,
David

Appendix
-----------
(1) http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=119646 (2) http://code.google.com/soc/gimp/appinfo.html?csaid=26F82BA0B5805CD9

Sven Neumann
2006-12-12 21:53:34 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 18:36 +0000, David Marrs wrote:

I remember something being written about vector layers in gimp and found a reference to it at google.com (2). If there was a tool that enabled one to draw vectors, they could be stroked, converted to a selection or converted to paths at the user's will.

And what's the benefit then over using the paths tool? Remember, the goal here is to make it easier to create polygonal selections. You can already do that by using the Polygon mode of the path tool and converting the resulting path to a selection. Sure, you could also do it using vector layers. But does that make it easy? I don't think so.

Although it's not a quick fix to the problem, it does avoid the possible complication that comes with modifying the free select tool (for example, assigning shift to both add-to-selection and draw-straight-line modifiers) or adding yet another select tool that isn't quite free select and isn't quite bezier path.

I fail to see why the free select tool should be modifed at all. Is it in any way related to the problem at hand? The problem of quickly creating a polygonal selection?

Perhaps we haven't even figured out yet what the problem is? Would be nice if the people who asked for the polygonal selection tool explained what they would use that tool for. What are common usage scenarios for such a tool? How does it fit into your workflow?

Sven

David Marrs
2006-12-13 21:00:54 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Bug 119646 – add polygonal selecti on tool

Sven Neumann wrote:

And what's the benefit then over using the paths tool? Remember, the goal here is to make it easier to create polygonal selections. You can already do that by using the Polygon mode of the path tool and converting the resulting path to a selection. Sure, you could also do it using vector layers. But does that make it easy? I don't think so.

I suppose it depends on how quickly you can make shapes with vectors. If it's about the same as with paths then obviously you're right, but if we're talking Inkscape speeds then it could be useful.

I fail to see why the free select tool should be modifed at all. Is it in any way related to the problem at hand? The problem of quickly creating a polygonal selection?

You seconded the idea on the bugzilla thread.

Perhaps we haven't even figured out yet what the problem is? Would be nice if the people who asked for the polygonal selection tool explained what they would use that tool for. What are common usage scenarios for such a tool? How does it fit into your workflow?

Well, I'm not requesting it, but what I got from the bugzilla report - particularly the comic book illustrator - was that users want to be able to switch quickly between drawing straight lines and drawing squiggly lines. In other words, brush-like flexibility but through the select tool.

Paths don't draw squiggles and free select doesn't do straight lines. So I'm exploring possible solutions. If a good one can't be found, that's fine by me.

Regards, David

Sven Neumann
2006-12-13 21:39:36 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 20:00 +0000, David Marrs wrote:

Well, I'm not requesting it, but what I got from the bugzilla report - particularly the comic book illustrator - was that users want to be able to switch quickly between drawing straight lines and drawing squiggly lines. In other words, brush-like flexibility but through the select tool.

If that is indeed the common usage scenario, then it might be best if we attempt to integrate this feature into the free select tool. Sounds like something that we needs decent planning and should be targetted for after the 2.4 release.

Sven