RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Color selectors, which one do you use?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

11 of 11 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Color selectors, which one do you use? Sven Neumann 05 Dec 22:11
  Color selectors, which one do you use? Anthony Ettinger 05 Dec 23:04
   Color selectors, which one do you use? Ben Walker 05 Dec 23:17
  Color selectors, which one do you use? Akkana Peck 05 Dec 23:48
  Color selectors, which one do you use? David Marrs 05 Dec 23:56
  Color selectors, which one do you use? Steve Stavropoulos 06 Dec 11:40
   Color selectors, which one do you use? Anthony Ettinger 06 Dec 20:07
    Color selectors, which one do you use? Sven Neumann 06 Dec 20:11
  Color selectors, which one do you use? Jakub Steiner 06 Dec 20:22
   Color selectors, which one do you use? Luca de Alfaro 13 Dec 07:07
  Color selectors, which one do you use? Jozef Legeny 17 Dec 12:04
Sven Neumann
2006-12-05 22:11:32 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

time for another little poll. GIMP has an interface for pluggable color selector modules. Over the time we have collected quite a few of them. In the 2.3 tree we have the following modules and builtin color selectors:

Default color selector CMYK color selector
Painter-style triangle color selector Watercolor style color selector
Palette color selector

This is IMO too much choice for most users and I think it would help if we would disable some of them. Expert users would still be able to reenable them in the Module Manager. Perhaps we could even have a menu somewhere in the Colors tab that allows to enable/disable color selectors.

Now the question is, which color selectors do you actually use? I have myself never found the Watercolor selector to be useful. But your mileage might vary. Tell me about it.

Sven

Anthony Ettinger
2006-12-05 23:04:19 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On 12/5/06, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

time for another little poll. GIMP has an interface for pluggable color selector modules. Over the time we have collected quite a few of them. In the 2.3 tree we have the following modules and builtin color selectors:

Palette color selector

This is IMO too much choice for most users and I think it would help if we would disable some of them. Expert users would still be able to reenable them in the Module Manager. Perhaps we could even have a menu somewhere in the Colors tab that allows to enable/disable color selectors.

Now the question is, which color selectors do you actually use? I have myself never found the Watercolor selector to be useful. But your mileage might vary. Tell me about it.

I use the triangle color wheel. After reading about color design, it makes more sense.

Ben Walker
2006-12-05 23:17:17 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Anthony Ettinger wrote:

Hi,

Palette color selector

I use the triangle color wheel. After reading about color design, it makes more sense.

[Oops, sorry Anthony, I just sent this response to you.]

I only use the default selector, but now that Anthony has mentioned the triangle and color design, I have become interested in that one :) However, I think I would be perfectly happy just using the default.

Ben W.

Akkana Peck
2006-12-05 23:48:34 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Sven Neumann writes:

I only use the default selector. I like the UI for the triangle selector in theory (maybe because the hue slider is a circle), but in practice it's too slow: it lags way behind my mouse drags, even on my fastest machine. I don't find the others very useful.

David Marrs
2006-12-05 23:56:07 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Sven Neumann wrote:

Sven

Steve Stavropoulos
2006-12-06 11:40:46 UTC (over 17 years ago)

This is IMO too much choice for most users

It's not like they _have_ to make a choise. They can just use the default as 99% of people do. I too don't like many choises, but 2-3 tabs more or less in a color selector don't bother me at all...

Now the question is, which color selectors do you actually use? I have myself never found the Watercolor selector to be useful.

Most of the time I use the default, but my mother almost always uses the watercolor. She is not an advanced user (and she wouldn't find it if she had to enable it to use it), she is just used to create the color she wants and when she thinks about a color it feels more natural to mix 2-3 colors together to make it. At the default color selector at first she was totally lost...

Anthony Ettinger
2006-12-06 20:07:48 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On 12/6/06, Steve Stavropoulos wrote:

This is IMO too much choice for most users

It's not like they _have_ to make a choise. They can just use the default as 99% of people do. I too don't like many choises, but 2-3 tabs more or less in a color selector don't bother me at all...

Now the question is, which color selectors do you actually use? I have myself never found the Watercolor selector to be useful.

Most of the time I use the default, but my mother almost always uses the watercolor. She is not an advanced user (and she wouldn't find it if she had to enable it to use it), she is just used to create the color she wants and when she thinks about a color it feels more natural to mix 2-3 colors together to make it. At the default color selector at first she was totally lost...

The one thing I wish Gimp had was a way to save colors for re-use. I hate that I can only have two fg/bg schemes at one time.

Sven Neumann
2006-12-06 20:11:09 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 11:07 -0800, Anthony Ettinger wrote:

The one thing I wish Gimp had was a way to save colors for re-use. I hate that I can only have two fg/bg schemes at one time.

The color selection dialog provides a color history for exactly this reason.

Sven

Jakub Steiner
2006-12-06 20:22:21 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 22:11 +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Palette color selector

Hi Sven,
Good plan with the simplification. While in Inkscape I use the HSV slider almost all the time, GIMP's triangle selector works best for me. I usually start with a preset palette color (using the actual palette editor, not the color selector) and tweak on the color wheel/triangle.

cheers

Luca de Alfaro
2006-12-13 07:07:11 UTC (over 17 years ago)

I think the danger in a simplification is this: there are many users that are "advanced" in the sense that they are advanced in their processing of photos or graphical arts, but that are not "advanced" in the sense of computer users. If you hide things in the module manager, they may never be able to find them.
Anyway, for me, the triangle is the tool I like the best.

Luca

On 12/6/06, Jakub Steiner wrote:

On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 22:11 +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Palette color selector

Hi Sven,
Good plan with the simplification. While in Inkscape I use the HSV slider almost all the time, GIMP's triangle selector works best for me. I usually start with a preset palette color (using the actual palette editor, not the color selector) and tweak on the color wheel/triangle.

cheers

-- Jakub Steiner

Jozef Legeny
2006-12-17 12:04:16 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

Palette color selector

Sven

_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

I'm using the colorwheel and occasionally the hvs/rgb selector.