RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Scissors selection tool

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Scissors selection tool Mikko Ohtamaa 21 Nov 11:56
  Scissors selection tool Michael Schumacher 21 Nov 13:40
   Scissors selection tool Alexander Rabtchevich 21 Nov 14:35
  Scissors selection tool Scott Bicknell 21 Nov 17:27
Mikko Ohtamaa
2006-11-21 11:56:39 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Scissors selection tool

make a shape but how do you turn the shape with the points into a selection?

Hi,

I just got awful headache (not healthy) and almost threw my monitor out of the fifth floor while playing with Gimp and trying to use the scissors selection.

After 15 minutes of trying I managed to close selection only once.

I found an old post about this. Has there been any progress on the matter? I am using the latest Gimp with Ubuntu Dapper.

Isn't there *really* any easy method to close scissors shape and turn it to a selection? Like putting a button to scissors tool options "Close shape".

Otherwise Gimp is wonderful and Gimp team is doing great job!

Just my ten cents (euro), Mikko Ohtamaa
Oulu, Finland

From: Michel Franckart euphonynet.be> Subject: Re: scissors selection tool Newsgroups: gmane.comp.video.gimp.user Date: 2005-08-06 20:50:09 GMT
(1 year, 15 weeks, 1 day, 7 hours and 59 minutes ago)

Sven Neumann gimp.org> writes:

Hi,

Steve Stavropoulos gmail.com> writes:

On 7/27/05, Rachelle McLean wrote:

With the selection tool that looks like a pair of scissors, and acts lilke the magnetic lasso tool in Photoshop, I can get it to make a shape but how do you turn the shape with the points into a selection?

First you have to close the shape. Your last point should be on top of the first one. Then, you click inside your shape and it turns into a selection.

Suggestions on how to improve this are welcome. Patches would be even more appreciated.

Sven

Hi.
I use Gimp 224 on SuSe Linux 92 :
turning a scissor-made shape into a selection rarely works and never twice.
I have tries several 'tricks' suggested in mailing lists : they do not work. Michel

Michael Schumacher
2006-11-21 13:40:25 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Scissors selection tool

Von: Mikko Ohtamaa

I found an old post about this. Has there been any progress on the matter? I am using the latest Gimp with Ubuntu Dapper.

I'm not really sure if closing is the problem. I tried very hard to reproduce this problem several times and never succeeded.

However, I've found two scenarios where clicking inside the scissors outline won't create a new selection:

- if the selection mode is set to subtract, or intersect and there is not a selection yet

This is expected.

- if there is a selection and the click inside the scissors outline is also inside the existing selection (more precisely, in the area where the selection outline and scissors outline intersect)

This might be a bug. It would be nice if someone could confirm this behavior.

There might be other ways to cause this, too. To decide whether one of them is a bug or not, it will be useful to consult the manual.

HTH, Michael

Alexander Rabtchevich
2006-11-21 14:35:19 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Scissors selection tool

Several times I missed the staring anchor too and as the tool does not have its own undo and there is no dedicated close button or key I had to change tool in order to clear the path and begin selection from scratch.

Scott Bicknell
2006-11-21 17:27:20 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Scissors selection tool

On Tuesday 21 November 2006 2:56 am, Mikko Ohtamaa wrote:

Isn't there *really* any easy method to close scissors shape and turn it to a selection? Like putting a button to scissors tool options "Close shape".

You can do the same job more precisely with the path tool. In design mode you can place points around parts of your image, and in edit mode you can adjust the shape of the curves between the points. A path is closed by Ctrl+clicking the starting point. You create a selection by clicking the Create selection from path button in the options dialog for the path tool.