RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

gimp-app on the mac does not want to work with my X11

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

gimp-app on the mac does not want to work with my X11 ROGER DEBRY 03 Nov 22:45
  gimp-app on the mac does not want to work with my X11 Chris Mohler 03 Nov 23:38
   gimp-app on the mac does not want to work with my X11 Julien Pons 04 Nov 10:46
    gimp-app on the mac does not want to work with my X11 Axel Wernicke 04 Nov 11:15
    gimp-app on the mac does not want to work with my X11 Chris Mohler 04 Nov 20:47
BAY104-F34474C60B0515F68E0B... 07 Oct 20:18
  gimp-app on the mac does not want to work with my X11 Chris Mohler 05 Nov 00:10
ROGER DEBRY
2006-11-03 22:45:40 UTC (over 17 years ago)

I don't see a mailing list for gimp on the mac, so I hope that this post is okay. I just downloaded the gimp-app package for the mac by Aaron Voisine. When I start the Gimp, I get a dialogue box for XDarwin asking me if I want full screen or rootless. When I respond (doesn't matter which), I get a gimp error message that says

Missing X11 Gimp.app requires X11 from the "Optional Installs Package on the OXS-X install disk.

Can't figure this one out, since X11 clearly seems to be there and running!

Chris Mohler
2006-11-03 23:38:02 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Are you *sure* you're running X11?

IIRC, It was on the developer tools CD in Jaguar. It's also a free download from the Apple Dev site. On my machine, it's under Applications>Utilities>X11, and has to be running before I launch any X apps.

Chris

Julien Pons
2006-11-04 10:46:37 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Chris Mohler a écrit :

IIRC, It was on the developer tools CD in Jaguar. It's also a free download from the Apple Dev site. On my machine, it's under Applications>Utilities>X11, and has to be running before I launch any X apps.

Chris

Strange behavior, my gimp.app automatically launch X11 :) Can't remember how i set up this !

Running on 10.4.8

Julien

Axel Wernicke
2006-11-04 11:15:26 UTC (over 17 years ago)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1

Am 04.11.2006 um 10:46 schrieb Julien Pons:

Chris Mohler a écrit :

Chris

Strange behavior, my gimp.app automatically launch X11 :) Can't remember how i set up this !

Running on 10.4.8

as long as I know GIMP.app - wich is quite some time - was always starting X11 automatically (using the xopen command in the background).

lexA

Julien

Chris Mohler
2006-11-04 20:47:16 UTC (over 17 years ago)

OK - I've never tried GIMP on OSX, but I have had trouble calling X11 apps w/o running X11 in the past. Still, it may not be installed - I don't think it was installed by default in 10.3...

Roger - make sure you have X11 in apps>utilities>X11

Chris

Chris Mohler
2006-11-05 00:10:36 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi, Chris, er, Dog, er, Dude, er...

Can you say "huh?" I'm afraid that's about where I am at the moment (and no, I'm not trying to be abnormally flippant; I'm just really, really confused here). I think you got the e-mail I sent from my lorrainepayette@yahoo.ca address (at least, this MIGHT be a response to that). Or is this a group response to a specific problem someone else is having?

Weird - I thought I was replying to the Gimp-User mailing list - someone was having trouble installing GIMP on their mac. I'm sorry if I somehow emailed you by mistake. I'm guessing that you might have signed up for the mailing list already, since you got my message.

If you're having problems too, you should send a new email to Gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu and mention what issues you're having. If you're signed up to the list, you will receive a copy of any email sent to the list.

If you're not subscribed, you can still send messages to the list, and read the list on the web here:
https://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/lists/gimp-user/

Hope this helps, Chris