RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Animation

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Animation ajspires@gto.net 09 Oct 04:05
  Animation Rikard Johnels 09 Oct 12:13
  Animation Dennis 09 Oct 12:29
   Animation Chris Mohler 10 Oct 02:57
  Animation vt 09 Oct 12:43
   Animation Jozef Legeny 09 Oct 20:05
  Animation Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 10 Oct 05:20
ajspires@gto.net
2006-10-09 04:05:31 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Animation

I have a simple animation I want to do for a website which involves fading a photo gradually (I assume by increasing opacity of a layer or decreasing opacity of layer containing photo) and replacing it with text (by increasing opacity of layer containing text?) And then this text will be a link to a web page. I have no idea how to do this. I am a total amateur looking to learn this slick little trick.I am new to Gimp but learning. Can you help me please? Andrea

-------------------------------------------------------------------- This mail sent through WebMail | Courtesy of Execulink

Rikard Johnels
2006-10-09 12:13:08 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Animation

On Monday 09 October 2006 04:05, ajspires@gto.net wrote:

I have a simple animation I want to do for a website which involves fading a photo gradually (I assume by increasing opacity of a layer or decreasing opacity of layer containing photo) and replacing it with text (by increasing opacity of layer containing text?) And then this text will be a link to a web page. I have no idea how to do this. I am a total amateur looking to learn this slick little trick.I am new to Gimp but learning. Can you help me please? Andrea

-------------------------------------------------------------------- This mail sent through WebMail | Courtesy of Execulink

_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

Unless the link only shall be present as the text appears, i would simply construct a looping animated gif and use it with tag... There are several tutorials on how to make a animated gif via Gimp, so that part shouldn't be a big problem.
I have made a banner once, (loooong time ago) for a now closed web page. And thats how i did it. A plain moving gif and a tag for the link.

Dennis
2006-10-09 12:29:29 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Animation

I have never tried it but you might want to take a different approach: - use css to hide your image
- use css to show a text link

The dojo toolkit might be able to accomplish this. Go to the website http://dojotoolkit.org/ click in the menu on "See in action" and then on the catagorie "effects".

Dennis.

I have a simple animation I want to do for a website which involves fading a
photo gradually (I assume by increasing opacity of a layer or decreasing opacity of layer containing photo) and replacing it with text (by increasing
opacity of layer containing text?) And then this text will be a link to a web page.
I have no idea how to do this. I am a total amateur looking to learn this slick
little trick.I am new to Gimp but learning. Can you help me please? Andrea

vt
2006-10-09 12:43:20 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Animation

Monday 09 October 2006 05:05, ajspires@gto.net raš?:

Generally it is not a good idea to convert photo to gif format as it has many limitations. But in this case you have to save in this format as it is default format for animations on web. What is the size of photo (in pixels and in kilobytes (kb))? To accomplish your task we'll be using multiple layers and size in kb of final work will be much bigger. Hence the question: will it be on internet or only in LAN?

Jozef Legeny
2006-10-09 20:05:11 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Animation

however there is a problem with GIF images, because even if they suport transparency they don't have an alpha channel (opacity) they only have one 100% transparent color. You can still do the fading effect; however you'll have to work with fixex background color. (I mean if the background of your site is for example white, you make it fade to white in GIMP)

Other idea might be using opacity propriety of CSS3 (you decrease the opacity in a loop from 100 and when you reach 0 you'll delete the image and place the text), but not many browsers support this at the time being. Either way, it has little to do with GIMP if you do it this way.

Chris Mohler
2006-10-10 02:57:32 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Animation

On 10/9/06, Dennis wrote:

I have never tried it but you might want to take a different approach: - use css to hide your image
- use css to show a text link

The dojo toolkit might be able to accomplish this. Go to the website http://dojotoolkit.org/ click in the menu on "See in action" and then on the catagorie "effects".

Dennis.

I've tried to fade a photo before (it never worked out that well) - on a whim I followed your link, and......WOW! I've only tested it in FF on *nix, but it looks fantastic! Not really GIMP-related, but cool anyway.

Chris

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2006-10-10 05:20:31 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Animation

On Sunday 08 October 2006 11:05 pm, ajspires@gto.net wrote:

I do not like what I will write you, for I am normally comitted to freesoftware options only.
But for this case, the easiest way to achieve what you desire is to use Flash. No, the Gimp cannot create it. There are Free programs that can, I do not know then. I guess event he free Gnu Flash Player - GNASH - could handle a file that would do just that, although it is not packed with all features in flash 9. - however, most people on the web would see your final result in a proprietary plug-in - that is why I dislike it.
CSS3, as others have suggested simply is not widespread, and few people would be able to see it.

That said, if youcan do that with GIMP alone: You can implement most of this as an animated gif, as people had written. You just can't create the link in the end - you'd have to use Javascript to do that - or - just let the whole image be a link all the time, and just press the text inside it at the end.A small adaptation that would simplify your work and allow you to make this with an animated gif.

Create an image, with your photo, the size you wnat it to be on the web. Create a new layer, with the background color you wish for the text, add yoru text, and, witht he text layer selected, combine it with the background layer bellow. Now, duplicate the layer with your photo, and use the plug-in "Filters->Animation->Blend" - it will create another iamge with all the intermediate layers you need.

Save this one as "gif" and pick "animation" on the dialog that appears. Select your parameters, and there you go. Tip: if you wnat a certain frame to last longer than the others (let's suppose you want your aniamtion to loop, but you want the the text to be visible for 5 seconds before repeating), you put the duration of the frame in the frame title, inside parentheses - a name such as "final (5000ms) " (the time is in milisconds)

Regards,

JS ->
Then, with

------------------------------------------------------------------- - This mail sent through WebMail | Courtesy of Execulink