RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Anchor for Text along Path?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Anchor for Text along Path? Dave Jarvis 20 Sep 02:40
  Anchor for Text along Path? Sven Neumann 20 Sep 09:10
Anchor for Text along Path? Darren Govoni 20 Sep 03:00
  Anchor for Text along Path? Dave Jarvis 20 Sep 03:30
   Anchor for Text along Path? Darren Govoni 20 Sep 15:31
Dave Jarvis
2006-09-20 02:40:33 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

Using GIMP 2.3, how do I change the anchor location for where the "path along text" is generated? (If there is one ...?)

Here is a picture of what is happening:

http://joot.com/dave/move-text-along-path.png

What I would like is to move the text made from the path (encircled in red along the top of the PNG) to the location of the big red X. Notice that the selection is an oval, not a circle, so I cannot simply "rotate" the entire layer with the text-path. (I have done so in the past, for circles, but it still felt like cheating.)

It strikes me that there should be a way to set the anchor point on the selected path so that when I click the "Text along Path" button, the text is rendered where I would like, rather than along the top-left of the oval's arc.

I have tried searching FAQs, Google and docs.gimp.org for this wonderful new button. Nada.

Any help is muchly appreciated.

Sincerely, Dave Jarvis

Darren Govoni
2006-09-20 03:00:04 UTC (over 17 years ago)

One thing you can try is to edit the path points where exactly you want them to be.
The entire steps I use to do this are (roughly).

1. Using the text tool, write my text as a new layer, select font, color, etc.
2. There is a edit path points tool, select it, then click successive points to achieve the
degree of arc you want (can be any complex curve actually). 3. Select your text once again using the text tool and click "text to path" button.
4. Create a new layer.
5. Hide your original text layer. Open the paths dialog and ensure the path you just
created is selected.
6. Select->Selection from Path
7. Fill the selection on the new layer with desired color. 8. Deselect the path so its no longer visible.

Hope this helps in part, or in whole.

Darren

----- Original Message ---

Dave Jarvis
2006-09-20 03:30:15 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi, Darren.

2. There is a edit path points tool, select it, then click successive points to achieve the degree of arc you want (can be any complex curve actually).

Playing around with it to get it aligned to the oval selection that I desire will be a total pain, not to mention an imperfect alignment. I will give it a try, though.

3. Select your text once again using the text tool and click "text to path" button.
4. Create a new layer.
5. Hide your original text layer. Open the paths dialog and ensure the path you just
created is selected.

Good up until here.

7. Fill the selection on the new layer with desired color. 8. Deselect the path so its no longer visible.

Not quite sure what you mean here. Instead, I: a. clicked on the text layer
b. opened the text tool dialog
c. clicked "Text along Path"

It gave me the text along a curve, but alignment to the original image's oval going to be nasty business.

Thanks for the tips, though. If anyone has any other ideas that avoid manually attempting to align paths against a backdrop, I'm all ears (er, eyes).

Thanks!
Dave

Sven Neumann
2006-09-20 09:10:50 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 17:40 -0700, Dave Jarvis wrote:

I have tried searching FAQs, Google and docs.gimp.org for this wonderful new button. Nada.

Well, this "wonderful new button" is just an experiment. The feature is unfinished and unless someone is willing and capable of finishing it, it is unlikely that it will be in the GIMP 2.4 release.
See also http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=169616

Sven

Darren Govoni
2006-09-20 15:31:10 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 18:30 -0700, Dave Jarvis wrote:

Hi, Darren.

2. There is a edit path points tool, select it, then click successive points to achieve the degree of arc you want (can be any complex curve actually).

Playing around with it to get it aligned to the oval selection that I desire will be a total pain, not to mention an imperfect alignment. I will give it a try, though.

I was able to do what you're asking quite easily, I just clicked path points along the edge of my oval. If I misplaced a point slightly, I moved it to be precisely on the curve tangent. I used zoom 400x.

3. Select your text once again using the text tool and click "text to path" button.
4. Create a new layer.
created is selected.

Good up until here.

Not quite sure what you mean here. Instead, I: a. clicked on the text layer
b. opened the text tool dialog
c. clicked "Text along Path"

Yeah, but what gimp does is not actually place text on the path/curve, instead it creates a selection of the text image that you then have to fill with paint. It's a bit unintuitive at first and I had trouble until I found someone elses steps to get it right.

It gave me the text along a curve, but alignment to the original image's oval going to be nasty business.

Like I said, if you place the path points yourself, say 5 or 6 of them is all that's needed, its not really that hard, but might take a couple of attempts. At least this is about the only way in gimp 2.3 that I know of. Good luck!

Thanks for the tips, though. If anyone has any other ideas that avoid manually attempting to align paths against a backdrop, I'm all ears (er, eyes).

Thanks!
Dave