RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

19 of 21 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease Hector Noriega 07 Jul 05:13
  GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease Joey Cagle 06 Jul 17:25
  GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 07 Jul 15:27
   GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease VytautasP 07 Jul 16:19
    GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease Roel Schroeven 07 Jul 17:22
   GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease Roel Schroeven 07 Jul 17:34
    GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease Jeffrey Brent McBeth 07 Jul 18:01
     GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease Gilles Maltais 07 Jul 18:21
      GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease Doug 08 Jul 11:05
    GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease Akkana Peck 07 Jul 18:35
    GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease david burzota 09 Jul 08:10
     GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease Rikard Johnels 09 Jul 12:43
GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease Raymon Van Wanrooij 07 Jul 07:46
  GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease Rikard Johnels 07 Jul 12:34
GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease Hector Noriega 09 Jul 18:16
  GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease VytautasP 09 Jul 19:32
   GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease Michael Schumacher 09 Jul 20:31
20060709190005.64917A675EF@... 07 Oct 20:17
  GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease D. Jones 13 Jul 10:21
20060713082153.C548BB3D345@... 07 Oct 20:17
  GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease D. Jones 13 Jul 10:35
Joey Cagle
2006-07-06 17:25:33 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Sorry to hear about this. However, would the same thing not happen if you were using Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro?

Joey

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 11:13:41 +0800, Hector Noriega wrote:

Hello,

This might be a common experience (or a well-known fact) among GIMP users. I just want to say that I just recovered from De Quervain's disease after an intensive week using GIMP. I'm not familiar with the new versions of this software, but mine requires keeping both my thumb and index finger pressed against the mouse while painting and retouching pictures. I did this for 4-5 days, 3-4 non-interrupted hours a day. I ended up with a strong pain in my wrist due to the inflammed tendons at the base of my thumb (De Quervain's disease). My right hand was practically inoperational for 2 1/2 months. A corticosteroid injection and a constant routine of ice and medication saved me from a wrist surgery. I could not believe a mouse could induce such damage to my hand while using GIMP.

H. Noriega

_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

Hector Noriega
2006-07-07 05:13:41 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Hello,

This might be a common experience (or a well-known fact) among GIMP users. I just want to say that I just recovered from De Quervain's disease after an intensive week using GIMP. I'm not familiar with the new versions of this software, but mine requires keeping both my thumb and index finger pressed against the mouse while painting and retouching pictures. I did this for 4-5 days, 3-4 non-interrupted hours a day. I ended up with a strong pain in my wrist due to the inflammed tendons at the base of my thumb (De Quervain's disease). My right hand was practically inoperational for 2 1/2 months. A corticosteroid injection and a constant routine of ice and medication saved me from a wrist surgery. I could not believe a mouse could induce such damage to my hand while using GIMP.

H. Noriega

Raymon Van Wanrooij
2006-07-07 07:46:23 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Yes it would, any program requiring precision control with the mouse can cause it cause you are really cramped controlling it then. A better solution is to use the right tool for the job, like using a tablet (from wacom or something) for painting an d photo retouching.

Raymon

On 7/6/06, Joey Cagle wrote:

Sorry to hear about this. However, would the same thing not happen if you were using Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro?

Joey

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 11:13:41 +0800, Hector Noriega wrote:

Hello,

H. Noriega

Rikard Johnels
2006-07-07 12:34:10 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On Friday 07 July 2006 07:46, Raymon Van Wanrooij wrote:

Yes it would, any program requiring precision control with the mouse can cause it cause you are really cramped controlling it then. A better solution is to use the right tool for the job, like using a tablet (from wacom or something) for painting an d photo retouching.

Raymon

On 7/6/06, Joey Cagle wrote:

Joey

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 11:13:41 +0800, Hector Noriega

wrote:

Hello,

H. Noriega

Isn't there a possibility to remap the buttons on the mouse to the keyboard? That would relieve the stress on the "mouse hand" (if you learn to relax the wrist and arm while you use it)

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2006-07-07 15:27:59 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On Friday 07 July 2006 12:13 am, Hector Noriega wrote:

Hello,

H. Noriega

Hi,

as already replied, all known painting software require the mouse button to be pressed while painting. However very few users actually go painting 4-5 hours uninterrupted - of course, if that is a routine task, the first thing is to get an appropriate mouse that will be more anatomical. That should minimize things.

The motive I am writing however is another one: Mr. Noriega, can you think of a better way of handling painting with the input devices found in most computers? (i.e. keyboard and mouse - maybe mic). The GIMP is comunity based, and you can help us build a better software> Even one that gets ahead the commercial counterparts in some respects.

What I ask of you is the following: use your experience and comunity discussion to get to a nice proposal of how the interface could be improved so that such an usage could be more pleasant. Then attach what you get to to a feature request to the gimp (this can be done at http://bugzilla.gimp.org)

The GIMP is written and maintained by volunteers, so there is no guarantee that whatever you suggest will be veer implemented - but most likely, someone will be interested enough to take it ahead.

Regards, JS
->

VytautasP
2006-07-07 16:19:51 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

Hello,

H. Noriega

Hi,

as already replied, all known painting software require the mouse button to be pressed while painting. However very few users actually go painting 4-5 hours uninterrupted - of course, if that is a routine task, the first thing is to get an appropriate mouse that will be more anatomical. That should minimize things.

The motive I am writing however is another one: Mr. Noriega, can you think of a better way of handling painting with the input devices found in most computers? (i.e. keyboard and mouse - maybe mic). The GIMP is comunity based, and you can help us build a better software> Even one that gets ahead the commercial counterparts in some respects.

What I ask of you is the following: use your experience and comunity discussion to get to a nice proposal of how the interface could be improved so that such an usage could be more pleasant. Then attach what you get to to a feature request to the gimp (this can be done at http://bugzilla.gimp.org)

The GIMP is written and maintained by volunteers, so there is no guarantee that whatever you suggest will be veer implemented - but most likely, someone will be interested enough to take it ahead.

Regards, JS
->

And make breaks once in a while. Exercise your wrists and eyes during breaks. Walk a bit. Practice yoga.
GIMP as every other software is just a tool. And it can not be held responsible for wrong behaviour.

Roel Schroeven
2006-07-07 17:22:29 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

VytautasP schreef:

This might be a common experience (or a well-known fact) among GIMP users. I just want to say that I just recovered from De Quervain's disease after an intensive week using GIMP.

And make breaks once in a while. Exercise your wrists and eyes during breaks. Walk a bit. Practice yoga.

Yes. It might sound silly, bit it is important advice indeed (I have no experience with yoga though).

I work on computers all day long, and I have never experienced any kind of computer use related pain, except when playing Quake or Tetris: those are exactly the occasions on which I don't take a break every now and then.

Breaks don't have to take long. Often I just walk over the window, have a quick look to see what's happening outside and go back to work.

It's also important to listen to your body: if your hand starts to tingle, it's a message that there's something going wrong and you shouldn't ignore that. Take a break, maybe change your position a bit.

Maybe it can help to grab the mouse less firmly. Maybe you can decrease the mouse's sensitivity to make it easier to do precise work with it. Maybe use a mouse that requires less force to push the buttons.

In many cases it's also a good idea to use the keyboard instead of the mouse as often as possible (learn keyboard shortcuts), but for graphical work that doesn't buy you very much.

Roel Schroeven
2006-07-07 17:34:11 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris schreef:

Hello,

H. Noriega

Hi,

The motive I am writing however is another one: Mr. Noriega, can you think of a better way of handling painting with the input devices found in most computers? (i.e. keyboard and mouse - maybe mic). The GIMP is comunity based, and you can help us build a better software. Even one that gets ahead the commercial counterparts in some respects.

There's one relatively simple change I can think of, that could reduce problems as the one experienced by Hector: instead of requiring the user to hold the mouse button pushed down during a drawing operation, it's possible to signal the start and the end of a drawing operation with separate mouse clicks. I.e. instead of "mouse down -> paint operation -> mouse up" you could do "mouse click -> paint operation -> mouse click".

Jeffrey Brent McBeth
2006-07-07 18:01:21 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 05:34:11PM +0200, Roel Schroeven wrote:

There's one relatively simple change I can think of, that could reduce problems as the one experienced by Hector: instead of requiring the user to hold the mouse button pushed down during a drawing operation, it's possible to signal the start and the end of a drawing operation with separate mouse clicks. I.e. instead of "mouse down -> paint operation -> mouse up" you could do "mouse click -> paint operation -> mouse click".

Personally, I switched to a trackball and picked up contact juggling to exercise the wrists. Fundamentally, a mouse is the wrong tool with which to paint, and by and large a disasterous tool for computer health. Generally, the advice to take breaks is a good one. Specifically re the above quoted, I would consider mouse toggling to be an accessibility issue best dealt with at a desktop level (GTK/Gnome/Whatever) rather than application specific hacks.

Jeff

Gilles Maltais
2006-07-07 18:21:48 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

A good solution would be to use a pen tablet. I have a big Wacom 12-inch which is good for graphics but for general pointing use, a small one would be infinitely better than a mouse for EVERYBODY.

BTW, are there lefthanders on the list ? I would like to know how they handle their mouse. Personally, I sit the outer side of the hand, put the thumb inside and move it with the "pinky-thumb fork" when I have to. Easier on the wrist too.

Gilles

Jeffrey Brent McBeth wrote:

Personally, I switched to a trackball and picked up contact juggling to exercise the wrists. Fundamentally, a mouse is the wrong tool with which to paint, and by and large a disasterous tool for computer health. Generally, the advice to take breaks is a good one. Specifically re the above quoted, I would consider mouse toggling to be an accessibility issue best dealt with at a desktop level (GTK/Gnome/Whatever) rather than application specific hacks.

Jeff

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Akkana Peck
2006-07-07 18:35:27 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Jeffrey Brent McBeth writes:

I would consider mouse toggling to be an accessibility issue best dealt with at a desktop level (GTK/Gnome/Whatever) rather than application specific hacks.

When I saw the original request I was thinking of suggesting a "sticky mouse" option, equivalent to the "sticky keys" option available in X or at the OS level to make modifier keys toggle, for one-handed (or one-fingered) users.

But I quickly realized that the cure would be worse than the disease. If you made the left mouse button toggle every time it was clicked, then every one-click operation becomes a two-click operation; your total number of mouse clicks nearly doubles. If you didn't have RSI before then, that would bring it on for sure!

So it actually might make sense to implement such a feature separately for drawing tools in graphics programs (as an option, of course). If it was implemented at a systemwide level, it would have to be smarter than merely making clicks sticky; for instance, you could say that any drag of more than [threshold] pixels remains a drag even if the button is released during the drag, until the button is clicked again.

Doug
2006-07-08 11:05:30 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Gilles Maltais wrote:

A good solution would be to use a pen tablet. I have a big Wacom 12-inch which is good for graphics but for general pointing use, a small one would be infinitely better than a mouse for EVERYBODY.

BTW, are there lefthanders on the list ? I would like to know how they handle their mouse. Personally, I sit the outer side of the hand, put the thumb inside and move it with the "pinky-thumb fork" when I have to. Easier on the wrist too

Speaking as a lefthander, I normally use the mouse right-handed; then occasionally change to left-handed when the right hand cramps up. It's not very satisfactory, though.

Doug

Gilles

Jeffrey Brent McBeth wrote:

Jeff

------------------------------------------------------------------------

david burzota
2006-07-09 08:10:20 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Another alternative would be to signal the start and end of the draw operation with a key on
the keyboard.

It would require 2 hands, but at least relieve the need to constantly be pressing
with a finger on the mouse.

David

To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: [Gimp-user] Re: GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 17:34:11 +0200

Hello,

This might be a common experience (or a well-known fact) among GIMP users. I just want to say that I just recovered from De Quervain's disease after an intensive week using GIMP. I'm not familiar with the new versions of this software, but mine requires keeping both my thumb and index finger pressed against the mouse while painting

The motive I am writing however is another one: Mr. Noriega, can you think of a better way of handling painting with the input devices found in most computers? (i.e. keyboard and mouse - maybe mic). The GIMP is comunity based, and you can help us build a better software. Even one that gets ahead the commercial counterparts in some respects.

-- If I have been able to see further, it was only because I stood on the shoulders of giants. -- Isaac Newton

Roel Schroeven

Rikard Johnels
2006-07-09 12:43:17 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On Sunday 09 July 2006 08:10, david burzota wrote:

Another alternative would be to signal the start and end of the draw operation with a key on
the keyboard.

It would require 2 hands, but at least relieve the need to constantly be pressing

David

To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: [Gimp-user] Re: GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 17:34:11 +0200

Hello,

This might be a common experience (or a well-known fact) among GIMP users. I just want to say that I just recovered from De Quervain's disease after an intensive week using GIMP. I'm not familiar with the new versions of this software, but mine requires keeping both my thumb and index finger pressed against the mouse while painting

-- If I have been able to see further, it was only because I stood on the shoulders of giants. -- Isaac Newton

Roel Schroeven

_________________________________________________________________ Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/

But that would induce repetetive ovements of the arms and shoulders as you lift and move your hands. That is the same type of stress a supermarket clerk has. And we all know the problems they get...

I think the tablet idea is the most functional alternative to mouse/keyboard. Maybe combined with left hand on the keyboard (if you are right handed) using the short cut keys. As little "meta-ctrl-alt" combos as possible to relieve finger stress

It would be cool to colorcode a keyboard a la the ones available for the video editing software "Final Cut Pro".

Hector Noriega
2006-07-09 18:16:39 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Hi,

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. My message about De Quervain

VytautasP
2006-07-09 19:32:03 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

The conclusion : Beware of irresponsible use of the mouse. De Quervain’s disease is definitely
deceptive and resembles a broken bone: it takes weeks/months to heal.

H. Noriega

And it takes 5min break per hour to avoid it.

Michael Schumacher
2006-07-09 20:31:41 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

VytautasP wrote:

H. Noriega wrote:

The conclusion : Beware of irresponsible use of the mouse. De Quervain’s disease is definitely deceptive and resembles a broken bone: it takes weeks/months to heal.

And it takes 5min break per hour to avoid it.

There are even tools to remind you of this, e.g.

http://www.workrave.org/

HTH, Michael

D. Jones
2006-07-13 10:21:40 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

one solution to avoid holding the mouse button down is to change your mouse settings so that click is activated. Thereby when you press and hold the tool is engaged and you merely have to move you mouse around. Then when the operation is done just click again to unengage the selected tool. Greatly relieves stress on the wrist.

gimp-user-request@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU wrote: Send Gimp-user mailing list submissions to gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to gimp-user-request@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU

You can reach the person managing the list at gimp-user-owner@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than "Re: Contents of Gimp-user digest..."

Today's Topics:

1. Re: Feathering and Masks (Asif Lodhi) 2. RE: Re: GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease (david burzota) 3. Re: Re: GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease (Rikard Johnels) 4. Re:Re: GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease (Hector Noriega) 5. Re: Re: GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease (VytautasP) 6. Re: Re: GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease (Michael Schumacher)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1 Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 02:22:06 +0500 From: "Asif Lodhi"
Subject: [Gimp-user] Re: Feathering and Masks To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Message-ID:

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

Hi,

Subject: [Gimp-user] Feathering and Masks anyone know something that explains "Feathering" REALLY well? ...............................
Then ... how to turn that into a mask ...

I would suggest that you go through "Grokking the Gimp" at http://www.gimp-savvy.com/ - that's an excellent book even though some of the material is rather old. Secondly, I would suggest that you read Graphics articles at http://www.webreference.com by Wendy Peck and others. Though those articles are mostly about other tools (no Gimp stuff) but you will certainly get an idea as to what the graphics stuff like feathers, masks, etc. is all about. Also, go through the Gimp Tutorials on Gimp's website.

-- Best,

Asif

------------------------------

Message: 2 Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 23:10:20 -0700 From: "david burzota"
Subject: RE: [Gimp-user] Re: GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Message-ID:
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed

the keyboard.

David

Hello,

Roel Schroeven

Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! 
http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/

Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 12:43:17 +0200
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Re: GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease
To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
Message-ID: 
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

> Another alternative would be to signal the start and end of the draw
> operation with a key on
> the keyboard.
>
> It would require 2 hands, but at least relieve the need to constantly be
> pressing
> with a finger on the mouse.
>
> David
>
> >From: Roel Schroeven 
> >To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
> >Subject: [Gimp-user] Re: GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease
> >Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 17:34:11 +0200
> >
> >Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris schreef:
> >>On Friday 07 July 2006 12:13 am, Hector Noriega wrote:
> >>>Hello,
> >>>
> >>>This might be a common experience (or a well-known fact) among GIMP
> >>>users. I just want to say that I just recovered from De Quervain's
> >>>disease after an intensive week using GIMP. I'm not familiar with
> >>>the new versions of this software, but mine requires keeping both
> >>>my thumb and index finger pressed against the mouse while painting
>
> ...
>
> >>The motive I am writing however is another one: Mr. Noriega, can you
> >> think of a better way of handling painting with the input devices found
> >> in most computers? (i.e. keyboard and mouse - maybe mic).
> >>The GIMP is comunity based, and you can help us build a better software.
> >>Even one that gets ahead the commercial counterparts in some respects.
> >
> >There's one relatively simple change I can think of, that could reduce
> >problems as the one experienced by Hector: instead of requiring the user
> > to hold the mouse button pushed down during a drawing operation, it's
> > possible to signal the start and the end of a drawing operation with
> > separate mouse clicks. I.e. instead of "mouse down -> paint operation ->
> > mouse up" you could do "mouse click -> paint operation -> mouse click".
> >
> >
> >--
> >If I have been able to see further, it was only because I stood
> >on the shoulders of giants.  -- Isaac Newton
> >
> >Roel Schroeven
> >
> >_______________________________________________
> >Gimp-user mailing list
> >Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
> >https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user
>
> _________________________________________________________________
> Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE!
> http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/
>
> _______________________________________________
> Gimp-user mailing list
> Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
> https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

But that would induce repetetive ovements of the arms and shoulders as you 
lift and move your hands. That is the same type of stress a supermarket clerk 
has. And we all know the problems they get...

I think the tablet idea is the most functional alternative to mouse/keyboard.
Maybe combined with left hand on the keyboard (if you are right handed) using 
the short cut keys. As little "meta-ctrl-alt" combos as possible to relieve 
finger stress

It would be cool to colorcode a keyboard a la the ones available for the video 
editing software "Final Cut Pro".
D. Jones
2006-07-13 10:35:13 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

gimp-user-request@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU wrote: Send Gimp-user mailing list submissions to gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to gimp-user-request@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU

You can reach the person managing the list at gimp-user-owner@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than "Re: Contents of Gimp-user digest..."

Today's Topics:

1. Re: Feathering and Masks (Asif Lodhi) 2. RE: Re: GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease (david burzota) 3. Re: Re: GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease (Rikard Johnels) 4. Re:Re: GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease (Hector Noriega) 5. Re: Re: GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease (VytautasP) 6. Re: Re: GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease (Michael Schumacher)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1 Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 02:22:06 +0500 From: "Asif Lodhi"
Subject: [Gimp-user] Re: Feathering and Masks To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Message-ID:

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

Hi,

Subject: [Gimp-user] Feathering and Masks anyone know something that explains "Feathering" REALLY well? ...............................
Then ... how to turn that into a mask ...

I would suggest that you go through "Grokking the Gimp" at http://www.gimp-savvy.com/ - that's an excellent book even though some of the material is rather old. Secondly, I would suggest that you read Graphics articles at http://www.webreference.com by Wendy Peck and others. Though those articles are mostly about other tools (no Gimp stuff) but you will certainly get an idea as to what the graphics stuff like feathers, masks, etc. is all about. Also, go through the Gimp Tutorials on Gimp's website.

-- Best,

Asif

Message: 2 Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 23:10:20 -0700 From: "david burzota"
Subject: RE: [Gimp-user] Re: GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Message-ID:
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed

the keyboard.

David

Hello,

Roel Schroeven

Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! 
http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/

Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 12:43:17 +0200
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Re: GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease
To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
Message-ID: 
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

> Another alternative would be to signal the start and end of the draw
> operation with a key on
> the keyboard.
>
> It would require 2 hands, but at least relieve the need to constantly be
> pressing
> with a finger on the mouse.
>
> David
>
> >From: Roel Schroeven 
> >To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
> >Subject: [Gimp-user] Re: GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease
> >Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 17:34:11 +0200
> >
> >Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris schreef:
> >>On Friday 07 July 2006 12:13 am, Hector Noriega wrote:
> >>>Hello,
> >>>
> >>>This might be a common experience (or a well-known fact) among GIMP
> >>>users. I just want to say that I just recovered from De Quervain's
> >>>disease after an intensive week using GIMP. I'm not familiar with
> >>>the new versions of this software, but mine requires keeping both
> >>>my thumb and index finger pressed against the mouse while painting
>
> ...
>
> >>The motive I am writing however is another one: Mr. Noriega, can you
> >> think of a better way of handling painting with the input devices found
> >> in most computers? (i.e. keyboard and mouse - maybe mic).
> >>The GIMP is comunity based, and you can help us build a better software.
> >>Even one that gets ahead the commercial counterparts in some respects.
> >
> >There's one relatively simple change I can think of, that could reduce
> >problems as the one experienced by Hector: instead of requiring the user
> > to hold the mouse button pushed down during a drawing operation, it's
> > possible to signal the start and the end of a drawing operation with
> > separate mouse clicks. I.e. instead of "mouse down -> paint operation ->
> > mouse up" you could do "mouse click -> paint operation -> mouse click".
> >
> >
> >--
> >If I have been able to see further, it was only because I stood
> >on the shoulders of giants.  -- Isaac Newton
> >
> >Roel Schroeven
> >
> >_______________________________________________
> >Gimp-user mailing list
> >Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
> >https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user
>
> _________________________________________________________________
> Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE!
> http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/
>
> _______________________________________________
> Gimp-user mailing list
> Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
> https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

But that would induce repetetive ovements of the arms and shoulders as you 
lift and move your hands. That is the same type of stress a supermarket clerk 
has. And we all know the problems they get...

I think the tablet idea is the most functional alternative to mouse/keyboard.
Maybe combined with left hand on the keyboard (if you are right handed) using 
the short cut keys. As little "meta-ctrl-alt" combos as possible to relieve 
finger stress

It would be cool to colorcode a keyboard a la the ones available for the video 
editing software "Final Cut Pro".