RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Feathering and Masks

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Feathering and Masks A 04 Jul 17:59
  Feathering and Masks GSR - FR 04 Jul 18:45
Feathering and Masks Asif Lodhi 08 Jul 23:22
A
2006-07-04 17:59:39 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Feathering and Masks

Hi,
anyone know something that explains "Feathering" REALLY well? I can't quite get how you know the exact shape of the feather, where it is and how big it is.
None of the docs says anything useful at all. I'm now trying to create a feather out from a curved path ... say X pixels - so the other side of the feather should be the same shape as the path ... and if it was a straight line (which is isn't) you'd get a flat sided rectangle just like a simple gradient
Then ... how to turn that into a mask ... (This should resolve my gradient question from before) -Thanks for any help

GSR - FR
2006-07-04 18:45:00 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Feathering and Masks

Hi,
gimp623@k1k2.com (2006-07-05 at 0159.39 +1000):

anyone know something that explains "Feathering" REALLY well?

It is rather simple: feather == blur of quickmask == (selection to channel, blur the channel, channel to selection).

When you see marching ants, you are seeing the 50% (IIRC) boundary of the selection (remember selection goes from 0% to 100%), so in many cases the way to see the effect of the blur is via qmask/channels, otherwise the ants will look more or less the same.

GSR

Asif Lodhi
2006-07-08 23:22:06 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Feathering and Masks

Hi,

Subject: [Gimp-user] Feathering and Masks anyone know something that explains "Feathering" REALLY well? ...............................
Then ... how to turn that into a mask ...

I would suggest that you go through "Grokking the Gimp" at http://www.gimp-savvy.com/ - that's an excellent book even though some of the material is rather old. Secondly, I would suggest that you read Graphics articles at http://www.webreference.com by Wendy Peck and others. Though those articles are mostly about other tools (no Gimp stuff) but you will certainly get an idea as to what the graphics stuff like feathers, masks, etc. is all about. Also, go through the Gimp Tutorials on Gimp's website.

-- Best,

Asif