RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: how to rotate ?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

how to rotate ? Michael_Hoeller@hugoboss.com 29 Jun 15:48
  how to rotate ? Jeffrey Brent McBeth 29 Jun 16:02
   Antwort: Re: how to rotate ? Michael_Hoeller@hugoboss.com 29 Jun 16:50
  how to rotate ? T F 29 Jun 17:54
  how to rotate ? Olivier Ripoll 30 Jun 10:25
   Antwort: Re: how to rotate ? Michael_Hoeller@hugoboss.com 30 Jun 11:13
    Antwort: Re: how to rotate ? Olivier Ripoll 30 Jun 11:50
     Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: how to rotate ? Michael_Hoeller@hugoboss.com 30 Jun 12:48
      Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: how to rotate ? VytautasP 30 Jun 14:28
Michael_Hoeller@hugoboss.com
2006-06-29 15:48:48 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

how to rotate ?

Hello,

I have a little rectangle which I like to rotate / animate. The rotation should give a kind of 3D impression -> the backward going part is shrinking and the forward comming is growing relative to the middle axis which goes noth / south.
I checked the GIMP help and asked google but I did not find a way to do this under linux with GIMP, just some expensive MS Windows solutions. Any hint how to do this are very wellcome. :-)

I hope this is not too bad expained, my English leaves room for improvement - which I am working on.

Thanks a lot Michael

This e-mail (and/or attachments) is confidential and may be privileged. Use or disclosure of it by anyone other than a designated addressee is unauthorized. If you are not an intended recipient, please delete this e-mail from the computer on which you received it. We thank you for notifying us immediately.

Jeffrey Brent McBeth
2006-06-29 16:02:16 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

how to rotate ?

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 03:48:48PM +0200, Michael_Hoeller@hugoboss.com wrote:

Hello,

I have a little rectangle which I like to rotate / animate. The rotation should give a kind of 3D impression -> the backward going part is shrinking and the forward comming is growing relative to the middle axis which goes noth / south.
I checked the GIMP help and asked google but I did not find a way to do this under linux with GIMP, just some expensive MS Windows solutions. Any hint how to do this are very wellcome. :-)

I hope this is not too bad expained, my English leaves room for improvement - which I am working on.

I used to do this all the time with

Filter -> Map Object

Select box, you can rotate it at will, you'll need a bunch of layers (one for each frame), and you are mapping your image to the 3d object, so make sure it is something interesting (I just tested again with a simple pure red image, looked great as it span.

Jeff

2006-06-29 16:50:44 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Antwort: Re: how to rotate ?

Hello Jeff,

thanks a lot - I am not sure if I got all. Will try soon. I have a German GIMP 2.2
and I am not sure what mad Object in the filter Menu can be no seem me right..
the filter menu is spilt in 5 parts, which of these is it? And will this be selfe explaining : "you'll need a bunch of layers (one > for each frame), and you are
mapping your image to the 3d object" when I come to the right place? I am not sure if i understand, at
this point in time, what you mean - that mighht change when I find the correct menu.

THanks again
Michael

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 03:48:48PM +0200, Michael_Hoeller@hugoboss.com

wrote:

I have a little rectangle which I like to rotate / animate. The

rotation

should give a kind of 3D impression -> the backward going part is shrinking and the forward comming is growing relative to the middle

axis

which goes noth / south.

I used to do this all the time with

Filter -> Map Object

Select box, you can rotate it at will, you'll need a bunch of layers

(one

for each frame), and you are mapping your image to the 3d object, so

make

sure it is something interesting (I just tested again with a simple pure

red

image, looked great as it span.

Jeff

This e-mail (and/or attachments) is confidential and may be privileged. Use or disclosure of it by anyone other than a designated addressee is unauthorized. If you are not an intended recipient, please delete this e-mail from the computer on which you received it. We thank you for notifying us immediately.

T F
2006-06-29 17:54:38 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

how to rotate ?

I have a little rectangle which I like to rotate / animate. The rotation should give a kind of 3D impression

blender.org is an awesome package to do things like this. for example, create a cube, then apply a jpg photo to one or more faces, then use automatic rotation/zoom and scene record. this approach is possibly a bit of overkill for your particular project, but it will open open up a world of possibilities.

hth

mike

Olivier Ripoll
2006-06-30 10:25:52 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

how to rotate ?

Michael_Hoeller@hugoboss.com wrote:

Hello,

I see two ways to achieve your effect:

1- The perspective tool (in the toolbox): see the manual here
http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tool-perspective.html You say you are not a native English speaker, and your name could sound German, so here is the same page in German: http://docs.gimp.org/de/gimp-tool-perspective.html As tutorial, maybe this link could be ok: http://www.gimptalk.com/forum/topic/Tutorial-How-to-create-a-3D-room-1961-last.html

This choice would be good if: - you have a good 3D perception (you are an artist) - you do not want to produce an animation with many frames.

2- A better choice would be the "Map Object..." plugin, in Filter->Map set the following settings (do not change the ones I do not mention): check "show preview wireframe"
Option tab:
Map to: plane
check "transparent background"
Light tab:
Lightsource type: no light
Orientation tab:
use the "Rotation" Z: änd set it to the angle you want

You will have to create first many copies of the image you want to spin first, and then apply the effect with different angles to each one. See the following tutorial for some similar effect: http://www.home.unix-ag.org/simon/gimp/globes.html

Best regards,

Olivier.

PS: At the moment I was going to send the message, I just

2006-06-30 11:13:17 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Hello Oliver,

great this is exactly that what I was looking for. To get a smooth rotation how many frames do I need to create? For a 360 turn via the y-axis?
After I have these many frames how do I get the animation? At the bottomline I like to get a gif file or what every is ok to be placed on a web page.

Thanks a lot again for the great help. Michael

2- A better choice would be the "Map Object..." plugin, in Filter->Map set the following settings (do not change the ones I do not mention): check "show preview wireframe"
Option tab:
Map to: plane
check "transparent background"
Light tab:
Lightsource type: no light
Orientation tab:
use the "Rotation" Z: änd set it to the angle you want

You will have to create first many copies of the image you want to spin first, and then apply the effect with different angles to each one. See the following tutorial for some similar effect: http://www.home.unix-ag.org/simon/gimp/globes.html

Best regards,

Olivier.

Olivier Ripoll
2006-06-30 11:50:11 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Hello Oliver,

great this is exactly that what I was looking for. To get a smooth rotation how many frames do I need to create? For a 360 turn via the y-axis?

It depends on the speed you want. 10 frames per second is usually enough (25-30 is video setting). You will have to try. Start with rotating every 20 or 30°.

After I have these many frames how do I get the animation? At the bottomline I like to get a gif file or what every is ok to be placed on a web page.

There are again 2 solutions. The GAP (gimp animation package) is very useful in the long term, but requires some time to learn it. There are some animation tutorials there:
http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/

The "good old way" is perfect for animations with few frames See tutorials there:
http://gug.sunsite.dk/tutorials/biggyp1 (only do the three last steps, from the moment it says "Now you can set the layer timings")
or even better:
http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/index.html?node80.html

Best regards,

Olivier

2006-06-30 12:48:20 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Hello Oliver,

I did some testing and got a great result !!! Thanks a lot. Perfect!

One final question: what size, colour depth and how many dpi is a good choice for a logo in the internet.
Mine is a little too big.

Thanks a lot, again Michael

gimp-user-bounces@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU schrieb am 30.06.2006 11:50:11:

Hello Oliver,

It depends on the speed you want. 10 frames per second is usually enough

(25-30 is video setting). You will have to try. Start with rotating every 20 or 30°.

After I have these many frames how do I get the animation? At the bottomline I like to get a gif file or what every is ok to be placed

on

a web page.

There are again 2 solutions. The GAP (gimp animation package) is very useful in the long term, but requires some time to learn it. There are some animation tutorials there:
http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/

The "good old way" is perfect for animations with few frames See tutorials there:
http://gug.sunsite.dk/tutorials/biggyp1 (only do the three last steps, from the moment it says "Now you can set the layer timings")
or even better:
http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/index.html?node80.html

Best regards,

Olivier

VytautasP
2006-06-30 14:28:00 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

One final question: what size, colour depth and how many dpi is a good choice for a logo in the internet. Mine is a little too big.

75 dpi
64x64
16 bit