RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Selecting all pixels with a certain color or below

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Selecting all pixels with a certain color or below Mohamed El Dawy 27 Jun 04:19
  Selecting all pixels with a certain color or below Tim Jedlicka 27 Jun 05:35
  Selecting all pixels with a certain color or below VytautasP 27 Jun 05:46
Mohamed El Dawy
2006-06-27 04:19:42 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Hi,
Is there a way to select all pixels in an image that are below certain color value, even if they are not adjacent?
Basically, I have an image that I display in an outside program. Black is the color key (displays as transparent), becuase the image contains some very dark colors that are not really black (for example R=5, G = 0, B = 5 and so on), they appear as black, whilst I want them not to appear at all.
Is there a way to select all those seemingly dark pixels (even if they are not adjacent) so that I can turn them to black?
Thank you very much in advance

---------------------------------
Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at 1¢/min.

Tim Jedlicka
2006-06-27 05:35:26 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On 6/26/06, Mohamed El Dawy wrote:

Hi,
Is there a way to select all pixels in an image that are below certain color value, even if they are not adjacent?

I would think "Select Regions By Color" (next to the magic wand) with the appropriate threshold would do it but perhaps I'm missing a nuance.

VytautasP
2006-06-27 05:46:32 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Mohamed El Dawy wrote:

Hi,
Basically, I have an image that I display in an outside program. Black is the color key (displays as transparent), becuase the image contains some very dark colors that are not really black (for example R=5, G = 0, B = 5 and so on), they appear as black, whilst I want them not to appear at all.

Is there a way to select all those seemingly dark pixels (even if they are not adjacent) so that I can turn them to black?
Thank you very much in advance

Adjust threshold and pick similar colours (Shift+O). When selected, press Ctrl+, (control plus comma) to replace selected areas' color to foreground one (black by default)
or
Layer>Colors>Level... choose top left eye-dropper („Pick black point“) and choose brightest region you want to appear black.