RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GAP opacity transitions not working

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GAP opacity transitions not working Scott Bicknell 02 Jun 20:09
  GAP opacity transitions not working VytautasP 03 Jun 09:45
  GAP opacity transitions not working Sven Neumann 04 Jun 18:55
GAP opacity transitions not working adly mabro 02 Jun 23:59
GAP opacity transitions not working adly mabro 03 Jun 18:41
Scott Bicknell
2006-06-02 20:09:22 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

I have GIMP 2.2.8 and GAP 2.0.2.whatever running on SUSE 10.0 (32 bit). I have tried GIMP 2.2.11 on SUSE 10.1 (32 and AMD64) with GAP 2.0.2... and have gotten the same results.

The problem is that when creating animations that transition either from full opacity to full transparency or vice versa, everything seems fine while creating the animation, but my transitions disappear in the final product (animated GIF). If going from full opacity to transparent, the layer remains fully opaque until the last frame and then disappears. Similarly, it remains hidden until it reaches full opacity.

I'm using xcf source images in rgb mode and xcf frames in rgb mode. This is maddening, as I have spent several hours creating what I thought was a working image, only to have my animation transformed into a mess after performing a frames to image, optimize for GIF, and saving as animation.

What am I missing?

adly mabro
2006-06-02 23:59:09 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

That sounds very similar to the message I posted concerning my question with regards to "playback contour feathering". Adly

VytautasP
2006-06-03 09:45:29 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Scott Bicknell wrote:

I have GIMP 2.2.8 and GAP 2.0.2.whatever running on SUSE 10.0 (32 bit). I have tried GIMP 2.2.11 on SUSE 10.1 (32 and AMD64) with GAP 2.0.2... and have gotten the same results.

The problem is that when creating animations that transition either from full opacity to full transparency or vice versa, everything seems fine while creating the animation, but my transitions disappear in the final product (animated GIF). If going from full opacity to transparent, the layer remains fully opaque until the last frame and then disappears. Similarly, it remains hidden until it reaches full opacity.

I'm using xcf source images in rgb mode and xcf frames in rgb mode. This is maddening, as I have spent several hours creating what I thought was a working image, only to have my animation transformed into a mess after performing a frames to image, optimize for GIF, and saving as animation.

What am I missing?

You're missing, that gif DOES NOT support partial opacity. You can try this workaround:
Insert white layers below each existing layer in sequence. Then merge down each layer to inserted white layer. And then save as gif animation. That worked for me. Every shadow looked as it should.

adly mabro
2006-06-03 18:41:20 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

The workaround is fine for the inner parts of the image. At the contour the image is opaque again.

If not gif, what then? Adly

Sven Neumann
2006-06-04 18:55:00 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Hi,

On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 11:09 -0700, Scott Bicknell wrote:

Any particular reason for not using the latest stable gap release which is version 2.2.0?

Sven