RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

pasted layers absorbed into background(newbie)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

pasted layers absorbed into background(newbie) John Minson 13 May 18:22
  pasted layers absorbed into background(newbie) Vytautas P. 13 May 20:37
  pasted layers absorbed into background(newbie) Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 14 May 01:12
John Minson
2006-05-13 18:22:36 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

If I

1) create a new image
2) open an existing photo
3) copy/paste some of the photo into the new image

The pasted layer gets 'absorbed' into the background of the new image and I am unable to select the pasted photo portion . Any other pasted photo portions get 'absorbed' as well . I can create multiple text layers and they may be manipulated individually .

What am I doing wrong ? Gimp 2.0.5 on Linux

Vytautas P.
2006-05-13 20:37:52 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

2006.05.13 19:22, John Minson paraš?:

If I

1) create a new image

The pasted layer gets 'absorbed' into the background of the new image and I am unable to select the pasted photo portion . Any other pasted photo portions get 'absorbed' as well . I can create multiple text layers and they may be manipulated individually

Gimp 2.0.5 on Linux

File>Open as new layer
should work

or

Do you anchor pasted photo? You can not manipulate floating layer. Call layers window:
Ctrl+L

Highlight floating layer

Click New layer button

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2006-05-14 01:12:35 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On Saturday 13 May 2006 01:22 pm, John Minson wrote:

If I

1) create a new image

The pasted layer gets 'absorbed' into the background of the new image and I am unable to select the pasted photo portion . Any other pasted photo portions get 'absorbed' as well . I can create multiple text layers and they may be manipulated individually .

When yopu paste anything into a gimp image, it becomes a "floating selection".

If you jsut click outside of it, it is anchored on the layer (or other drawable) that was selected when it was pasted in first place. This anchoring is what you are calling "absortion".

What you have to do is to click in the new layer button, on the layers dialog (dialogs->layers - that window, leftmost button bellow the list). Then your floating selection is promoted into a full layer - which is what you want.

In short: paste, go to the layers dialog, click on the new layer button.

What am I doing wrong ?
Gimp 2.0.5 on Linux

Oh my...this is old...
gimp 2.2 is much nicer - see what you can do about upgrading

Regards, JS
->