RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

removing backgrounds

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

removing backgrounds C. DeBerry 24 Apr 16:40
  removing backgrounds Colin Brace 24 Apr 17:30
   removing backgrounds Carol Spears 24 Apr 17:56
    removing backgrounds Rob 25 Apr 01:04
  removing backgrounds Olivier Ripoll 24 Apr 19:16
   removing backgrounds Vytautas P. 24 Apr 20:36
    removing backgrounds Olivier Ripoll 25 Apr 09:25
   removing backgrounds Vytautas P. 24 Apr 22:42
C. DeBerry
2006-04-24 16:40:04 UTC (about 18 years ago)

removing backgrounds

Hello,

I'm a fledgling gimp user. Can someone explain to me the process of removing the background color from my logo? It has this nasty white box around it, and looks horrible on colored paper/backgrounds. I have it in .tif, .gif, and .jpg formats. I know I can't do it in .jpg. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Cheryl

Colin Brace
2006-04-24 17:30:56 UTC (about 18 years ago)

removing backgrounds

On 4/24/06, C. DeBerry wrote:

Can someone explain to me the process of removing the background color from my logo? It has this nasty white box around it, and looks horrible on colored paper/backgrounds.

There are probably various ways to do this, but one way would be to use the the "select regions by color" tool (ctrl-o) . Select the background color and then just delete it.

--
Colin Brace
Amsterdam

Carol Spears
2006-04-24 17:56:41 UTC (about 18 years ago)

removing backgrounds

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 05:30:56PM +0200, Colin Brace wrote:

Can someone explain to me the process of removing the background color from my logo? It has this nasty white box around it, and looks horrible on colored paper/backgrounds.

There are probably various ways to do this, but one way would be to use the the "select regions by color" tool (ctrl-o) . Select the background color and then just delete it.

i would make the selection like this, but then i would Select-->Invert and then Image-->Crop. this little shortcut in the menu will make the croptool snap to the selection.

carol

Olivier Ripoll
2006-04-24 19:16:41 UTC (about 18 years ago)

removing backgrounds

C. DeBerry wrote:

Hello,

I'm a fledgling gimp user. Can someone explain to me the process of removing the background color from my logo? It has this nasty white box around it, and looks horrible on colored paper/backgrounds. I have it in .tif, .gif, and .jpg formats. I know I can't do it in .jpg. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

If your background is a plain colour, maybe your should simply try to use "Color to alpha" (I think it should be in "Filters->Colors" in 2.2.x, I am using 2.3.x in which it is located in "Colors").

To save it, I would advise you to use PNG format. GIF cannot really do transparency, and I do not know how well tiff handles it.

Best regards,

Olivier

Vytautas P.
2006-04-24 20:36:24 UTC (about 18 years ago)

removing backgrounds

On 2006.04.24 20:16, Olivier Ripoll wrote:

C. DeBerry wrote:

Hello,

Thank you! Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

If your background is a plain colour, maybe your should simply try to use "Color to alpha" (I think it should be in "Filters->Colors" in 2.2.x, I am using 2.3.x in which it is located in "Colors").

To save it, I would advise you to use PNG format. GIF cannot really do transparency, and I do not know how well tiff handles it.

GIF handles transparency perfectly, but it can not handle partial transparency. And it is not good at colours. When removing background, do not forget to add alpha channel Layer>Transparency>Add Alpha channell.

Vytautas P.
2006-04-24 22:42:12 UTC (about 18 years ago)

removing backgrounds

These selections are for "fine-tuning" of image. I don't bother myself with all of them Just select compression degree.

About adam 7 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam7_algorithm

adam7 "in action" http://www.schaik.com/png/adam7.html

On 2006.04.24 21:43, you wrote:

adam7

Rob
2006-04-25 01:04:34 UTC (about 18 years ago)

removing backgrounds

Like Colin said, there are a lot of ways to do this, but I'm trying to learn more ways to do the same things.

If I understand correctly, deleting should leave transparency everywhere that was the background colour. Cropping would cut the whole image down to the size of the remaining selection - the logo. Is it about the same result as the other method or is there an advantage in some cases? I'm just firing up the Gimp to see what I see...

Carol Spears wrote:

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 05:30:56PM +0200, Colin Brace wrote:

i would make the selection like this, but then i would Select-->Invert and then Image-->Crop. this little shortcut in the menu will make the croptool snap to the selection.

carol

_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

Olivier Ripoll
2006-04-25 09:25:45 UTC (about 18 years ago)

removing backgrounds

Vytautas P. wrote:

GIF handles transparency perfectly, but it can not handle partial transparency. And it is not good at colours. When removing background, do not forget to add alpha channel Layer>Transparency>Add Alpha channell.

Hi Vytautas,

This really is a subjective point:

Imagine an opaque door. It can be opened or closed. When it is closed, you see nothing through. When it is opened you see totally through the door opening. No one would ever pretend that this door is transparent when opened.
On the contrary, a window is transparent. It means you see through, although you lose some light in the process, especially if the window is dirty or tinted.

As a physicist (optician), to me, transparency is not a binary property. Transparency is a complex property containing amplitude and phase (and often depends on the spectrum). GIF in my view does not support transparency, just some "cut through" property. You just can say "cut a hole in the image" like you would with scissors and a sheet of paper, you do not say "make this pixel transparent", which you can do with PNG.

But this is my perspective, and you are allowed to disagree ;)

Best regards,

Olivier.