RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

determining file type

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

determining file type chadmichael@excite.com 20 Apr 19:27
  determining file type Jeffrey McBeth 20 Apr 19:29
   determining file type Michael Schumacher 20 Apr 19:45
   determining file type Geoffrey 21 Apr 02:49
  determining file type Simon Budig 20 Apr 19:43
  determining file type Roel Schroeven 20 Apr 23:54
chadmichael@excite.com
2006-04-20 19:27:34 UTC (about 18 years ago)

determining file type

Hey there.

I have some image files for which the extension may have been written incorrectly, i.e. they say .jpg but i suspect they are really png's. Can GIMP tell me the file type of a file it has opened. I know it examines the magic numbers to determine how to handle it so it must know. How can I make it tell me!!!

Or if you know of an easy way to determine file type, without relying on the extension, from a non GIMP technique or tool.

Thank you, And have a great day!!!

Jeffrey McBeth
2006-04-20 19:29:21 UTC (about 18 years ago)

determining file type

I have some image files for which the extension may have been written incorrectly, i.e. they say .jpg but i suspect they are really png's. Can GIMP tell me the file type of a file it has opened. I know it examines the magic numbers to determine how to handle it so it must know. How can I make it tell me!!!

Or if you know of an easy way to determine file type, without relying on the extension, from a non GIMP technique or tool.

I sent you a message offline about how to do it using a text editor.

But, I forgot some things

If you use Linux or Mac, you can type "file filenamehere" and it will tell you a bunch of information about the file (including the type).

If you use Windows and have GIMP associated with the file, you can right click, go to properties, then advanced and it will tell you much the same stuff as the "file" command under Linux and Mac

Simon Budig
2006-04-20 19:43:25 UTC (about 18 years ago)

determining file type

chadmichael@excite.com (chadmichael@excite.com) wrote:

Imagemagick has a commandline tool called "identify". The output of this also contains the file format.

I hope this helps, Simon

Michael Schumacher
2006-04-20 19:45:06 UTC (about 18 years ago)

determining file type

Jeffrey McBeth wrote:

If you use Linux or Mac, you can type "file filenamehere" and it will tell you a bunch of information about the file (including the type).

I would use the file command on Windows as well. http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/file.htm

HTH, Michael

Roel Schroeven
2006-04-20 23:54:43 UTC (about 18 years ago)

determining file type

chadmichael@excite.com schreef:

Hey there.

In addition to the other suggestions, if you're on Windows you can open the file with IrfanView. If the file type doesn't match the extension, it will give a warning and optionally change the file extension.

Geoffrey
2006-04-21 02:49:46 UTC (about 18 years ago)

determining file type

Jeffrey McBeth wrote:

I sent you a message offline about how to do it using a text editor.

But, I forgot some things

imagemagick comes with identify, which is a great tool, particularily for image files.