RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

[ale] printing landscape on 3x5 cards

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

printing landscape on 3x5 cards Jim Philips 17 Apr 14:37
  printing landscape on 3x5 cards David Lee 17 Apr 23:10
   printing landscape on 3x5 cards Geoffrey 18 Apr 03:14
    [ale] printing landscape on 3x5 cards Jim Philips 18 Apr 04:30
    [ale] printing landscape on 3x5 cards Jim Philips 18 Apr 13:09
printing landscape on 3x5 cards Geoffrey 18 Apr 15:56
  [ale] printing landscape on 3x5 cards Jim Philips 19 Apr 04:22
Jim Philips
2006-04-17 14:37:17 UTC (about 18 years ago)

printing landscape on 3x5 cards

I have some 3x5 templates in .png format that I downloaded. I want to print them out in landscape format, because if I print them as portrait my printer bracket won't come in tight enough to hold the card in place. So, I open the .png in Gimp and flip it 90 degrees and save it. I then try to print it from Gimp, with 3x5 specified as the paper size. What gets printed is a long string of raw Postscript and nothing else. I have to kill the print job. I'm using Gimp 2.2.10 with CUPS 1.1.23 on a Slackware box. Any clues as to what is wrong? Am I using a crappy print driver? The printer is an Epson C-62 inkjet. It prints without problems otherwise, even some 3x5 cards in landscape. But those are from a Web page where formatting is enforced by CSS.

David Lee
2006-04-17 23:10:48 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 08:37:17 -0400 Jim Philips wrote:

I have some 3x5 templates in .png format that I downloaded. I want to print them out in landscape format, because if I print them as portrait my printer bracket won't come in tight enough to hold the card in place. So, I open the .png in Gimp and flip it 90 degrees and save it. I then try to print it from Gimp, with 3x5 specified as the paper size. What gets printed is a long string of raw Postscript and nothing else. I have to kill the print job. I'm using Gimp 2.2.10 with CUPS 1.1.23 on a Slackware box. Any clues as to what is wrong? Am I using a crappy print driver? The printer is an Epson C-62 inkjet. It prints without problems otherwise, even some 3x5 cards in landscape. But those are from a Web page where formatting is enforced by CSS.

I believe you will need to pick "setup printer" from the print dialog and pick the type of printer you are using. This is what did the trick for me.

Geoffrey
2006-04-18 03:14:27 UTC (about 18 years ago)

David Lee wrote:

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 08:37:17 -0400 Jim Philips wrote:

I believe you will need to pick "setup printer" from the print dialog and pick the type of printer you are using. This is what did the trick for me.

One thing I recall about the GIMP is that it wants a non compressed ppd file. What I've had to do is go to the directory where they exist and unpack the file there. Make sure you retain the gunzipped version though because other applications look for it. For example, for my Minolta laser I have the following ppd files:

/usr/share/cups/model/Minolta-magicolor_2300_DL.ppd /usr/share/cups/model/Minolta-magicolor_2300_DL.ppd.gz

You set this in the setup printer dialog of GIMP David has mentioned.

Jim Philips
2006-04-18 04:30:14 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Monday 17 April 2006 21:14, Geoffrey wrote:

David Lee wrote:

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 08:37:17 -0400 Jim Philips

wrote:

One thing I recall about the GIMP is that it wants a non compressed ppd file. What I've had to do is go to the directory where they exist and unpack the file there. Make sure you retain the gunzipped version though because other applications look for it. For example, for my Minolta laser I have the following ppd files:

/usr/share/cups/model/Minolta-magicolor_2300_DL.ppd /usr/share/cups/model/Minolta-magicolor_2300_DL.ppd.gz

OK. I went through the printer setup. Now I don't get the Postscript garbage when I print. What I do get is my printer attempting to print in portrait format even though the file is saved in landscape format. So, the next time I tried I went to the Image Output tab of the print dialog and changed it to landscape format. And voila! The garbage Postscript output returned. I don't have the ppd file, since I'm using Gimp-Print and it doesn't seem to need that. I found at least one indication in somebody else's post that this is a CUPS issue. Anyway, I'm still feeling thwarted.

Jim Philips
2006-04-18 13:09:42 UTC (about 18 years ago)

David Lee wrote:

wrote:

OK. I found the .ppd file and created an unzipped version. It made no difference.

Geoffrey
2006-04-18 15:56:00 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Jim Philips wrote:

David Lee wrote:

wrote:

OK. I found the .ppd file and created an unzipped version. It made no difference.

What distro is this? Did you use the setup printer option in gimp to make sure it's pointed to the proper ppd file?

_______________________________________________ Ale mailing list
Ale-S6NtOCTnm14@public.gmane.org
http://www.ale.org/mailman/listinfo/ale

Jim Philips
2006-04-19 04:22:20 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Tuesday 18 April 2006 09:56, Geoffrey wrote:

Jim Philips wrote:

David Lee wrote:

wrote:

What distro is this? Did you use the setup printer option in gimp to make sure it's pointed to the proper ppd file?

This is Slackware current. I went through the printer setup and pointed to the .ppd file. It makes no difference in the output. The description of the problem I found indicates a conflict between CUPS way of defining landscape orientation and Ghostscript's way of defining it. I can modify the raw Postscript after saving the file as Postscript. And this offers some slight gain...but it still doesn't print my image properly. Anyway, this doesn't appear to be a Gimp issue. I believe I could reproduce the problem with any Linux app where CUPS and Ghostscript are handling the printing.