RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP freezing the computer for a few seconds

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP freezing the computer for a few seconds Szasz Pal 12 Apr 15:52
Szasz Pal
2006-04-12 15:52:28 UTC (about 18 years ago)

GIMP freezing the computer for a few seconds

Hi!

I have a very annoying problem with gimp, with different versions and on different computers as well.

I'm making some gfx for mobilke games as well, and for that I need to work at a pixel level. I usually use the pen tool with indexed image, with a brush size of 1. And of course zooming in a lot. The problem I'm drawing with the button pressed, or sometimes even when selecting another color from the palette, or another tool, the computer freezes for a few seconds (from 5 to 100, varying). I tried with gimp-2.2.8, 2.2.10 and today I tested 2.3 CVS. The same thing happens on my laptop (athlon 1500+, ~384MB of RAM), on a 1.7Ghz Celeron PC (512MB RAM) and an on Sempron 2200+ PC (256MB RAM).

So it's not the hardware, and it's not a temporary bug.

Btw, I'm using Gentoo. I tried also different versions of GTK+.

Also I noticed that while drawing with the pen tool (or the brush also) GIMP uses a LOT of CPU time. Is this normal?