RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

gui

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

gui Rhys Sage 23 Mar 18:12
  gui Michael Schumacher 23 Mar 19:50
   gui Aaron Luptak 23 Mar 19:52
   gui John R. Culleton 25 Mar 14:57
    gui Alan Horkan 25 Mar 21:41
  gui Colin Brace 23 Mar 20:24
Rhys Sage
2006-03-23 18:12:04 UTC (about 18 years ago)

gui

Ok. So Ubuntu is recommended. How about a GUI? I can't say I really care for either KDE or Gnome. I did see one called Athene that looked pretty nice but I don't know what it'd run on.

___________________________________________________________ Win a BlackBerry device from O2 with Yahoo!. Enter now. http://www.yahoo.co.uk/blackberry

Michael Schumacher
2006-03-23 19:50:27 UTC (about 18 years ago)

gui

Rhys Sage wrote:

Ok. So Ubuntu is recommended. How about a GUI? I can't say I really care for either KDE or Gnome. I did see one called Athene that looked pretty nice but I don't know what it'd run on.

Could it be that the person who's answering you is sending mails in private? From the point of view of the list, only the half of the conversation seems to be getting here.

Michael

Aaron Luptak
2006-03-23 19:52:55 UTC (about 18 years ago)

gui

On 3/23/06, Michael Schumacher wrote:

Rhys Sage wrote:

Could it be that the person who's answering you is sending mails in private? From the point of view of the list, only the half of the conversation seems to be getting here.

Sorry, that was me. I figured that discussion wasn't particularly relevant to the gimp, so I'd keep it off the list.

Colin Brace
2006-03-23 20:24:10 UTC (about 18 years ago)

gui

On 3/23/06, Rhys Sage wrote:

Discussions like this quickly become pointless, since KDE vs Gnome vs whatever is largely a matter of personal preference (provided you are using modern hardware). In many cases you can switch between environments without even rebooting, so the best thing to do is to simply *use* one for awhile...

-- Colin Brace
Amsterdam

John R. Culleton
2006-03-25 14:57:21 UTC (about 18 years ago)

gui

On Thursday 23 March 2006 13:50, Michael Schumacher wrote:

Rhys Sage wrote:

Michael

GUIs are tools just like any other software. What they look like should be subordinate to what they do. I find that sticking with KDE is a safe bet. I use Slack and Patrick Volkerding has already kicked Gnome off the island.

If "look pretty nice" is a biggie with the other person I suggest that here are plenty of themes for him to play with on either KDE or Gnome.

Alan Horkan
2006-03-25 21:41:16 UTC (about 18 years ago)

gui

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, John R. Culleton wrote:

Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 08:57:21 -0500 From: John R. Culleton
To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] gui

On Thursday 23 March 2006 13:50, Michael Schumacher wrote:

Rhys Sage wrote:

Michael

GUIs are tools just like any other software. What they look like should be subordinate to what they do. I find that sticking with KDE is a safe bet. I use Slack and Patrick Volkerding has already kicked Gnome off the island.

If "look pretty nice" is a biggie with the other person I suggest that here are plenty of themes for him to play with on either KDE or Gnome.

To be clear, he has chosen not to include Gnome because it is a lot of maintaince work, I believe it wasn't a case of kicking Gnome or anything like that. KDE is already the default in slackware and the Dropline team provide Gnome for Slackware so it wasn't unreasonable for him to simply let them be the ones who do Gnome for Slackware and save himself some work.