RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Logarithmic gradient

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Logarithmic gradient Vytautas P. 13 Feb 21:48
  Logarithmic gradient Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 14 Feb 14:15
   Logarithmic gradient Vytautas P. 14 Feb 15:20
  Logarithmic gradient Olivier Ripoll 14 Feb 15:15
   Logarithmic gradient Vytautas P. 14 Feb 16:01
    Logarithmic gradient Olivier Ripoll 14 Feb 16:09
    Logarithmic gradient Carol Spears 14 Feb 19:18
Vytautas P.
2006-02-13 21:48:56 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Logarithmic gradient

Is there a way to make not linear but logarithmic gradient in GIMP?

GIMP version 2.2.6 OS Xandros 3.0.2

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2006-02-14 14:15:52 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Logarithmic gradient

On Monday 13 February 2006 06:48 pm, Vytautas P. wrote:

There are curved gradient segments in the GIMP, but none of the curves is logarithmic
I think you have spheric and sinuidal curves, besides linear.

If that is nto enough, I'd like you to say what is the use for logarithimic gradients. It won ? be hard to provide a patch for it, if it is usefull.

Olivier Ripoll
2006-02-14 15:15:49 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Logarithmic gradient

Vytautas P. wrote:

GIMP version 2.2.6

OS Xandros 3.0.2

If you are talking about the blend tool gradients, then see Joao's answer. If you are talking about the gradients which can be edited and saved (such as "golden", "german flag", "FG to BG"), then you have the possibility to generate the gardient approxiamtely from an external script (using e.g. octave, scilab, matlab). Thomas Lotze did some Gaussian, exponential and power gradients which are useful for science. See
http://www.thomas-lotze.de/en/software/gimp/gradients.html for examples of the old ggr format. The old format is also described in this 2002 discussion:
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/lists/gimp-developer/2002-May/007044.html

Recent gimp such as yours are supposed to be able to work with SVG gradients additionally (I never tried, but it should work). SVG gradient is described at w3c page:
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/pservers.html

From a user point of view, I think the old format is much easier to use from a script.

I hope that helps,

Regards,

Olivier

Vytautas P.
2006-02-14 15:20:24 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Logarithmic gradient

On 2006.02.14 15:15, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

On Monday 13 February 2006 06:48 pm, Vytautas P. wrote:

There are curved gradient segments in the GIMP, but none of the curves is logarithmic
I think you have spheric and sinuidal curves, besides linear.

If that is nto enough, I'd like you to say what is the use for logarithimic gradients. It won ? be hard to provide a patch for it, if it is usefull.

Well, it is nothing special, just it would make nice effect, I think. Parabolic and hyperbolic gradients would be nice too. It would make impression of "deeper" depth. It would be nice if GIMP had possibility of making such gradients like y=x^p, where p would mean optional power to which x should be raised.

Vytautas P.
2006-02-14 16:01:24 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Logarithmic gradient

And where all these gradients stored? ~/.gimp-2.2/gradients contains no files at all.

Olivier Ripoll
2006-02-14 16:09:30 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Logarithmic gradient

Vytautas P. wrote:

And where all these gradients stored? ~/.gimp-2.2/gradients contains no files at all.

This is the location of your own gradients. That is where you will put the ones you have designed. The ones that come by default with gimp are available for all users. They are thus somewhere in /usr/share/gimp I do not have my linux system at hand, so I cannot tell you the exact location, but you should find it by typing something like: locate gradients | grep gimp
in a terminal.
Probably /usr/share/gimp/2.0/gradients

Best regards,

Olivier

PS: On my gimp installation (windows), all the gradients are still in .ggr, so I guess this format is here to stay and you can safely use it.

Carol Spears
2006-02-14 19:18:47 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Logarithmic gradient

On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 05:01:24PM +0200, Vytautas P. wrote:

copy any existing gradient (use the button on the Gradients Dialog) and the gradient editor should appear.

in the gradient editor dialog, right click where the color is and there is quite a list of things you can do there. changing the gradient from linear to something else is an option there.

if you save your gradient copy (there is a button on the editor to do this) you will have a gradient in your personal directory.

the gradient editor is very robust. i did not see anything like it in photoshop5 or photoshop7 or in paintshop pro5 or 6.

carol