RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Smoothing Brush Strokes

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Smoothing Brush Strokes Matthew Whitlock 27 Jan 00:56
  Smoothing Brush Strokes Carol Spears 27 Jan 01:10
Smoothing Brush Strokes Matthew Whitlock 27 Jan 02:05
  Smoothing Brush Strokes Akkana Peck 27 Jan 07:09
Smoothing Brush Strokes Matthew Whitlock 27 Jan 08:57
  Smoothing Brush Strokes Olivier Ripoll 27 Jan 09:18
  Smoothing Brush Strokes Rikard Johnels 27 Jan 10:23
  Smoothing Brush Strokes GSR - FR 27 Jan 23:40
Matthew Whitlock
2006-01-27 00:56:56 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Smoothing Brush Strokes

When I do a quick mark with any brush (be it a pen, pencil, airbrush, paint brush, etc.) the line becomes facetted. I know in photoshop that this happens too, but there is a check box that applies a smoothing to the line. Is there something similar to that in GIMP? Work around?

Also are there any keyboard shortcuts to adjusting brush size?

I searched the documentation, but didn't find anything that addressed these to issues.
*prays he isn't RTFM-ed*

Many Thanks

Matthew

Carol Spears
2006-01-27 01:10:45 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Smoothing Brush Strokes

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 05:56:56PM -0600, Matthew Whitlock wrote:

When I do a quick mark with any brush (be it a pen, pencil, airbrush, paint brush, etc.) the line becomes facetted. I know in photoshop that this happens too, but there is a check box that applies a smoothing to the line. Is there something similar to that in GIMP? Work around?

Also are there any keyboard shortcuts to adjusting brush size?

I searched the documentation, but didn't find anything that addressed these to issues.
*prays he isn't RTFM-ed*

make sure that the image is not indexed.

Image/Mode/RGB

carol

Matthew Whitlock
2006-01-27 02:05:31 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Smoothing Brush Strokes

Carol, I tried looking at indexing. Doesn't seem to effect it.

Attached is a small image of a quickly drawn cirle that shows the facetting that I am experiencing.

Matthew

Akkana Peck
2006-01-27 07:09:43 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Smoothing Brush Strokes

Matthew Whitlock writes:

Carol, I tried looking at indexing. Doesn't seem to effect it.

Attached is a small image of a quickly drawn cirle that shows the facetting that I am experiencing.

It looks like your system isn't reading all the mouse positions, only getting some of the mouse motion events.

There's a configuration option in the gimprc man page that might be related:

| (perfect-mouse yes) |
| When enabled, the X server is queried for the mouse's current | position on each motion event, rather than relying on the posi- | tion hint. This means painting with large brushes should be | more accurate, but it may be slower. Perversely, on some X | servers enabling this option results in faster painting. Possi- | ble values are yes and no.

I don't remember whether you said what platform you were on, but it might be worth adding a line to your gimprc (that's a text file located in your GIMP profile directory -- just edit it when gimp is not running, and add the line) and try both settings to see if one of them makes it better.

...Akkana

Matthew Whitlock
2006-01-27 08:57:03 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Smoothing Brush Strokes

Akkana - Good lead, although it didn't result in any solutions. Changed the file and it read it, but still faceted lines.

I'm running GIMP 2.2.10 on XP. I don't think it is a device problem on account of the fact that I have duplicated my problem with both my mouse and tablet, as well as on other machines.

I'm surprised that no one else has run into this. Can anyone duplicate my problem? Just draw a circle or arc with a paintbrush really quickly and you will VERY clearly see that it is comprised of strait lines.

I scoured the rest of the *rc files without seeing anything of promise.

Other leads?

Olivier Ripoll
2006-01-27 09:18:18 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Smoothing Brush Strokes

Matthew Whitlock wrote:

Akkana - Good lead, although it didn't result in any solutions. Changed the file and it read it, but still faceted lines.

I'm running GIMP 2.2.10 on XP. I don't think it is a device problem on account of the fact that I have duplicated my problem with both my mouse and tablet, as well as on other machines.

I'm surprised that no one else has run into this. Can anyone duplicate my problem? Just draw a circle or arc with a paintbrush really quickly and you will VERY clearly see that it is comprised of strait lines.

Other leads?

Well, I am also running 2.2.10 on XP here, and the only way I can see straight lines is to move my mouse so fast that I am no more able to stay within the limit of the image window... When I do the circle at normal speed, I have absolutely no problem.

Try to slow down your mouse speed settings, maybe. And click the "enhance pointer precision" in the Windows "Mouse Properties" window (in the "Pointer Options" tab).

Regards,

Olivier

Rikard Johnels
2006-01-27 10:23:47 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Smoothing Brush Strokes

On Friday 27 January 2006 08:57, Matthew Whitlock wrote:

Other leads?
_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

What system do you use? It sounds to me it's to slow for the load.. It looks like the mousedriver gets stressed, and thus only gives you a few points. (Polling to slow)
Either that or you and your mouse is way to fast.. :)

Does the same problem occur if you draw the circle slower? Does the same problem occur in another drawing program? Do you experience jerky movement elsewhere?

GSR - FR
2006-01-27 23:40:47 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Smoothing Brush Strokes

Hi,
mwhitloc@uiuc.edu (2006-01-27 at 0157.03 -0600):

Other leads?

Are the images zoomed out or at 1:1? I remember issues with that, at least with mouses.

GSR