RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Patterns

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Patterns Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 28 Dec 19:12
  Patterns Carol Spears 28 Dec 20:17
   Patterns Owen 28 Dec 22:17
    Patterns Carol Spears 28 Dec 22:54
     Patterns Eric P 09 Jan 04:36
Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2005-12-28 19:12:15 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Patterns

I was looking at the patterns that come with the GIMP.

They might have been nice for 320x240 web images that everyone edited a few years ago.

But in a world of 7 MP cameras, all patterns that come with the GIMP are nearly useless.

there are a few pending features for patterns on the program itself - like categorization, possibly scaling, and so on.

That aside, these patterns are in urgent need for an update. Even if not on the patterns that come along with the GIMP itself, nice pattern collections would be nice - perhaps some that could be packaged in a "gimp-data-extras" module, or something like that.

Even updates of the existing patterns so that they do no look a silly square repetition when covering a surface more than 400px wide would be a nice thing.

So - developers, what do you think might be the best approach? To update the patterns that come with the program thenselves or make additional collections available?

And everybody - let's start building some nice patterns - one way or the other we have to collect then all an make then available for all the GIMP users.

Carol Spears
2005-12-28 20:17:57 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Patterns

On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 04:12:15PM -0200, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

I was looking at the patterns that come with the GIMP.

They might have been nice for 320x240 web images that everyone edited a few years ago.

But in a world of 7 MP cameras, all patterns that come with the GIMP are nearly useless.

there are a few pending features for patterns on the program itself - like categorization, possibly scaling, and so on.

it would be interesting to find out what resolutions and what catagories of patterns the users of gimp would find useful.

That aside, these patterns are in urgent need for an update. Even if not on the patterns that come along with the GIMP itself, nice pattern collections would be nice - perhaps some that could be packaged in a "gimp-data-extras" module, or something like that.

maybe. it is almost like an antique museum though and there are so many tutorials that involve those patterns. another nice thing about them is that they are so small and they keep the initial download of gimp smaller.

Even updates of the existing patterns so that they do no look a silly square repetition when covering a surface more than 400px wide would be a nice thing.

probably the ones that did not work did not get included in tutorials.

And everybody - let's start building some nice patterns - one way or the other we have to collect then all an make then available for all the GIMP users.

it would be good to know useful catagories and resolutions....

carol

Owen
2005-12-28 22:17:31 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Patterns

Carol Spears wrote:

it would be interesting to find out what resolutions and what catagories of patterns the users of gimp would find useful.

I don't have 7MP camera, but I assume if you want to fill a selection of a 7MP image with a Gimp pattern it would come out all clunky?

What happens if I have a low res image and want to fill it with a hi-res pattern, will it be obscured?

Perhaps (as usual) I do not understand.

Anyway additions to the pattern collection would no doubt be welcome. Perhaps an upload area on the Gimp site (like the GUG site) to allow patterns to be contributed.

Owen

Carol Spears
2005-12-28 22:54:11 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Patterns

On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 08:17:31AM +1100, Owen wrote:

Carol Spears wrote:

I don't have 7MP camera, but I assume if you want to fill a selection of a 7MP image with a Gimp pattern it would come out all clunky?

well, larger resolution for larger images. i really do work at many different sizes. print needs a lot and web stuff needs a little. sometimes things scale nicely just by making them smaller, but sometimes it is not the case.

it might be good to discuss what a useful upper limit would be for image size.

What happens if I have a low res image and want to fill it with a hi-res pattern, will it be obscured?

you will get a small portion of a pattern instead of a repeating image.

Anyway additions to the pattern collection would no doubt be welcome. Perhaps an upload area on the Gimp site (like the GUG site) to allow patterns to be contributed.

i have been thinking about this some. it seems like such a site would be very popular at first and then lose its appeal and interest. at least there is the threat of that.

the gimp wiki has been suggested. i do not keep much of an eye on that. i wonder if there might not already be a pattern collection there even....

carol

Eric P
2006-01-09 04:36:17 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Patterns

Carol Spears wrote:

On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 08:17:31AM +1100, Owen wrote:

Carol Spears wrote:

well, larger resolution for larger images. i really do work at many different sizes. print needs a lot and web stuff needs a little. sometimes things scale nicely just by making them smaller, but sometimes it is not the case.

it might be good to discuss what a useful upper limit would be for image size.

you will get a small portion of a pattern instead of a repeating image.

i have been thinking about this some. it seems like such a site would be very popular at first and then lose its appeal and interest. at least there is the threat of that.

the gimp wiki has been suggested. i do not keep much of an eye on that. i wonder if there might not already be a pattern collection there even....

carol

I'm not sure what the license is for these patterns, but they showed up around 1 year ago (?) and gave my pattern collection a much needed breath of fresh air.

http://artcamilla.dk/vaultage/cornucopia/gimp-patterns/

They're larger in pixel size than the default gimp patterns, and extremely tasteful in my (er... extremely subjective) opinion.

Of course, as Carol mentioned, they will add significant bloat to the file size of Gimp. Oh, here's an idea! What if the Gimp (like Firefox, etc.) had a prominent button in the patterns dialog like "click here to d/l more patterns", and the user is automatically whisked to a webpage containing extra patterns? Now, that'd be cool! You could do it for brushes, scripts, etc! That'd be spiffy!

Eric P