RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp thegame2119 andrade 05 Dec 02:43
  Gimp Owen Cook 05 Dec 03:46
  Gimp Axel Wernicke 05 Dec 07:21
  Gimp JC Dill 05 Dec 18:34
Gimp Michael Schumacher 05 Dec 10:44
thegame2119 andrade
2005-12-05 02:43:57 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Gimp

Hi, I am a new user of the Gimp program and have a question about it. Hopefully I am asking in the right thing. Anyway, I have used the free trials of a number of image programs and one tool I really like is the clone brush, yet I can't seem to find one in the Gimp. Is there one? The reason I like it is because I like to make graphics and stuff out of pictures I get on the web and some of these pictures have stamps or something on them depicting the logo of the website I got the picture off of and the clone brush is a tool I find most helpful in getting rid of the stamp and also making it look like I haven't touched the picture. If there is no clone brush in the Gimp, can someone recommend a good way to get rid of these website stamps on pictures without doing too much damage to the picture like cutting it up or cropping it and stuff like that? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Owen Cook
2005-12-05 03:46:52 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Gimp

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005, thegame2119 andrade wrote:

Hi, I am a new user of the Gimp program and have a question about it. Hopefully I am asking in the right thing. Anyway, I have used the free trials of a number of image programs and one tool I really like is the clone brush, yet I can't seem to find one in the Gimp. Is there one? The reason I like it is because I like to make graphics and stuff out of pictures I get on the web and some of these pictures have stamps or something on them depicting the logo of the website I got the picture off of and the clone brush is a tool I find most helpful in getting rid of the stamp and also making it look like I haven't touched the picture. If there is no clone brush in the Gimp, can someone recommend a good way to get rid of these website stamps on pictures without doing too much damage to the picture like cutting it up or cropping it and stuff like that? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,

You may wish to experiment with the 'Clone Tool'

it looks like a rubber stamp

Owen

Axel Wernicke
2005-12-05 07:21:50 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Gimp

Hi,

Am 05.12.2005 um 02:43 schrieb thegame2119 andrade:

like that? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Please try the clone tool. You can find a description at http:// docs.gimp.org/en/ch07s03s10.html.

Greetings, lexa

Michael Schumacher
2005-12-05 10:44:04 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Gimp

Von: "thegame2119 andrade"

The reason I like it is because I like to make graphics and stuff out of pictures I get on the web and some of these pictures have stamps or something on them depicting the logo of the website I got the picture off [...]

The best way is to ask them to provide you with unmodified images. You did already ask them for the permission to use them, didn't you?

HTH, Michael

JC Dill
2005-12-05 18:34:51 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Gimp

thegame2119 andrade wrote:

Hi, I am a new user of the Gimp program and have a question about it. Hopefully I am asking in the right thing. Anyway, I have used the free trials of a number of image programs and one tool I really like is the clone brush, yet I can't seem to find one in the Gimp. Is there one? The reason I like it is because I like to make graphics and stuff out of pictures I get on the web and some of these pictures have stamps or something on them depicting the logo of the website I got the picture off of and the clone brush is a tool I find most helpful in getting rid of the stamp and also making it look like I haven't touched the picture.

Just because a photo is displayed on the web doesn't mean it is legal to take it and use it for your own purposes. Copyright law exists for a purpose. People who make copyright-protected art can only make a living if their copyright is respected. Stealing their art for your own purposes is illegal and rude. You wouldn't like it if I went into your home and took something that belonged to you and used it for my own purposes without your permission and without compensating you. Please don't do that to others.

There are SO many works given freely for use that it is not difficult to find those works and use them instead. Or ask the artist for permission.

Removing the copyright imprint and then using the image anyway is a serious offense. If the artist discovers that you have done this and sues you, here in the US the law provides for over $100,000 in statutory damages for copyright infringement per image. You can't plead ignorance when you have gone thru the effort of removing the copyright imprint on the image! You can be held liable for these damages even when your use is non-commercial (for your non-commercial site etc.).

jc