RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

file types

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

BAY107-F5DFC421E94AF4CB7652... Cliff Hanley 21 Nov 01:30
  file types michael chang 21 Nov 04:57
   file types Deva 22 Nov 09:58
  file types Steve Stavropoulos 22 Nov 14:10
michael chang
2005-11-21 04:57:22 UTC (over 18 years ago)

file types

On 11/20/05, Cliff Hanley wrote:

Since I installed Gimp, all my image files on desktop are IDed as Gimp files instead of JPG, BMP,TIFF etc. It would be useful to see these IDs before clicking on the files. Is there an option for restoring them?

Install the program that created these identifications, or restore your mime-types from a backup. (You do have a backup, don't you? ;)

Maybe also installing another program might overwrite GIMPs type settings with it's own, which are then used thereafter -- if the program restores the JPG/BMP/TIFF/etc types, then you should be fine.

It depends on the type of desktop - IIRC, different ones (GNOME, XFCE, MS Windows) use different ways of identifying file types and showing them to you.

--
~Mike
- Just my two cents
- No man is an island, and no man is unable.

Deva
2005-11-22 09:58:11 UTC (over 18 years ago)

file types

Since I installed Gimp, all my image files on desktop are IDed as Gimp

files instead of JPG, BMP,TIFF etc. It would be useful to see these

IDs before clicking on the files. Is there an option for restoring them?

* CLIFF HANLEY

Well, risking to offend someone using a posix system, I'll just assume you're using Windows... anyway, the mime types there can be edited from "Folder Options" in the file manager. That's in one of the drop down menus on the top -- I don't think you'll have trouble finding it. From there you can select specific filetypes and assign them to programs.

On the other hand, this might be the hardest of two ways out of this... as Mike suggested it might be a lot easier just to reinstall the program that you want to use the files, so it grabs them again.

The fully rational solution, (on windows) though would be to check the configurations of both the gimp and whatever program you use as a viewer and select the filetypes from there, where you'll also find a "preserve mime types" (or sth similar) button, that would check if the mime types are what you defined when the program starts up.

Ah... ok, that's all, sorry for the elementary stuff and the hardly gimp-related subject, everyone :)

Steve Stavropoulos
2005-11-22 14:10:06 UTC (over 18 years ago)

file types

On 11/21/05, Cliff Hanley wrote:

Since I installed Gimp, all my image files on desktop are IDed as Gimp files instead of JPG, BMP,TIFF etc. It would be useful to see these IDs before clicking on the files. Is there an option for restoring them?

I assume you are on windows and you just want to know the type of the file before opening it with the gimp. The easy way, is to set the file manager so it also shows the file extension (ex. 'foo.tif' instead of 'foo'). You can find this in Tools -> Options IIRC (I don't use windows to offer more specific information).