RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Non printable colors

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Non printable colors Gilles Maltais 15 Nov 23:21
  Non printable colors John R. Culleton 15 Nov 23:24
   Non printable colors Alexandre Prokoudine 15 Nov 23:43
  Non printable colors Sven Neumann 16 Nov 14:54
Non printable colors cedric GEMY 16 Nov 22:35
  Non printable colors Alexandre Prokoudine 16 Nov 22:44
   Non printable colors Sven Neumann 19 Nov 12:56
Gilles Maltais
2005-11-15 23:21:44 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Non printable colors

Is there a function in GIMP that shows which colors are printable and which are not ?

If there is no such feature, where could I find info on this topic ?

Thanks !

Gilles Maltais

John R. Culleton
2005-11-15 23:24:01 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Non printable colors

On Tuesday 15 November 2005 05:21 pm, Gilles Maltais wrote:

Is there a function in GIMP that shows which colors are printable and which are not ?

If there is no such feature, where could I find info on this topic ?

Thanks !

Gilles Maltais

While the gamut of CMYK is smaller than the gamut of RGB I don't know how you can define it except by example. There are color charts, or you can generate the same, that will show a range of colors available from your inkjet printer. I have such a printout. Of course every possible combination of C M Y and K would create a book larger than the Manhattan White Pages.

Not all the world of color printing depends on the four color process. The book of Pantone colors shows swatches of specific ink colors that are available as spot colors.

HTH

John Culleton

Alexandre Prokoudine
2005-11-15 23:43:49 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Non printable colors

On 11/16/05, John R. Culleton wrote:

While the gamut of CMYK is smaller than the gamut of RGB I don't know how you can define it except by example.

In prepress world this is called "Mark colors out of gamut" and is implemented e.g. in Scribus

Alexandre

Sven Neumann
2005-11-16 14:54:22 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Non printable colors

Hi,

Gilles Maltais writes:

No, not yet. But it might be added with the color management features in GIMP 2.4 or at a later point.

Sven

cedric GEMY
2005-11-16 22:35:55 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Non printable colors

We can understand the question if we imagine that some user still use Photoshop. Alexandre is right to say that in in Free DTP Software process, Gimp don't need mark out of gamut colors. It is the same for Color management. But in Adobe's process, all these steps are taken in charge by Photoshop. So if you use GIMP+InDesign, you miss this functionnality somewhere.

But i've atthis time no solution for that.

Cedric pygmee

Alexandre Prokoudine
2005-11-16 22:44:03 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Non printable colors

On 11/17/05, cedric GEMY wrote:

We can understand the question if we imagine that some user still use Photoshop. Alexandre is right to say that in in Free DTP Software process, Gimp don't need mark out of gamut colors.

If I told that, I probably wouldn't be right. But I am right anyway, because I never said that :))

And, quite in contrary to your words, it would be helpful to see colors out of gamut by softproofing.

Alexandre

Sven Neumann
2005-11-19 12:56:07 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Non printable colors

Hi,

Alexandre Prokoudine writes:

And, quite in contrary to your words, it would be helpful to see colors out of gamut by softproofing.

It would be trivial to change the color management display filter to provide this functionality. I hope that we can have this in GIMP 2.4.

Sven