RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

problem running GIMP on remote machine

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

problem running GIMP on remote machine Rob van Riel 12 Jun 22:47
  problem running GIMP on remote machine Manish Singh 13 Jun 05:51
Rob van Riel
2005-06-12 22:47:06 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

I'm trying to get GIMP to work over remote X. All other programs I try to use on the same setup work, but GIMP is stubbornly refusing.

I log in on the server using

ssh -X jarl

If I simply fire up xterm, it starts and displays on my local system. However, GIMP gives the following output:

INIT: gimp_load_config Parsing '/etc/gimp/2.0/gimprc'
Parsing '/home/rob/.gimp-2.2/gimprc' gimp_composite: use=yes, verbose=no
Processor instruction sets: -mmx -sse -sse2 -3dnow -altivec -vis Adding theme 'Small' (/usr/share/gimp/2.0/themes/Small) Adding theme 'Default' (/usr/share/gimp/2.0/themes/Default) Writing '/home/rob/.gimp-2.2/themerc' The program 'gimp' received an X Window System error. This probably reflects a bug in the program. The error was 'BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)'. (Details: serial 150 error_code 3 request_code 38 minor_code 0) (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously; that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it. To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

Does this make any sense to anyone out there?

Rob

Manish Singh
2005-06-13 05:51:45 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 03:47:06PM -0500, Rob van Riel wrote:

I'm trying to get GIMP to work over remote X. All other programs I try to use on the same setup work, but GIMP is stubbornly refusing.

I log in on the server using

ssh -X jarl

If I simply fire up xterm, it starts and displays on my local system. However, GIMP gives the following output:

INIT: gimp_load_config Parsing '/etc/gimp/2.0/gimprc'
Parsing '/home/rob/.gimp-2.2/gimprc' gimp_composite: use=yes, verbose=no
Processor instruction sets: -mmx -sse -sse2 -3dnow -altivec -vis Adding theme 'Small' (/usr/share/gimp/2.0/themes/Small) Adding theme 'Default' (/usr/share/gimp/2.0/themes/Default) Writing '/home/rob/.gimp-2.2/themerc' The program 'gimp' received an X Window System error. This probably reflects a bug in the program. The error was 'BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)'. (Details: serial 150 error_code 3 request_code 38 minor_code 0) (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously; that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it. To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

Does this make any sense to anyone out there?

http://www.openssh.org/faq.html#3.13

OpenSSH stupidly uses untrusted X11 forwarding by default. It uses an extension that was speced 10 years ago, and badly needs revisiting for modern times.

If ssh -Y works for you, that's your problem.

Most vendors turn ForwardX11Trusted on, so complain to your vendor (if that's where you got ssh from) if this isn't the case.

-Yosh