RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Very few of my posts show on the list... (SOLVED!)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

17 of 17 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Very few of my posts show on the list... Rikard Johnels 24 May 23:55
  Very few of my posts show on the list... Andreas Waechter 25 May 00:40
   Very few of my posts show on the list... Rikard Johnels 25 May 01:31
    Very few of my posts show on the list... Patrick Shanahan 25 May 01:41
     Very few of my posts show on the list... Rikard Johnels 25 May 07:21
      Very few of my posts show on the list... Owen Cook 25 May 10:50
       Very few of my posts show on the list... Rikard Johnels 25 May 12:16
      Very few of my posts show on the list... Carol Spears 25 May 12:07
       Very few of my posts show on the list... Rikard Johnels 25 May 12:15
        Very few of my posts show on the list... Manish Singh 25 May 20:09
    Very few of my posts show on the list... Rikard Johnels 25 May 01:49
     Very few of my posts show on the list... (SOLVED!) Rikard Johnels 29 May 17:14
Very few of my posts show on the list... Michael Schumacher 25 May 13:36
  Very few of my posts show on the list... Carol Spears 25 May 17:07
  Very few of my posts show on the list... Marc) (A.) (Lehmann 25 May 23:01
Very few of my posts show on the list... Michael Schumacher 25 May 17:32
  Very few of my posts show on the list... Carol Spears 25 May 19:30
Rikard Johnels
2005-05-24 23:55:36 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Very few of my posts show on the list...

How come most of my posts and replies to posts doesn't end up here on the list?

Andreas Waechter
2005-05-25 00:40:54 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

When replying, make sure you reply to the list.

Default when replying is that the mail goes to the person who sent the mail, NOT to the list.

Andreas

Rikard Johnels
2005-05-25 01:31:38 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Wednesday 25 May 2005 00.40, Andreas Waechter wrote:

When replying, make sure you reply to the list.

Default when replying is that the mail goes to the person who sent the mail, NOT to the list.

Andreas _______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

I know. And thats what i do. (both originator and list)

Patrick Shanahan
2005-05-25 01:41:10 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

* Rikard Johnels [05-24-05 18:37]:

BUT, list mail, unless specifically requested, should be replied to the *list* only. Why generate an extra copy and the extra traffic by sending the author *another* copy of a post he will see on the list anyway?

Rikard Johnels
2005-05-25 01:49:00 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Wednesday 25 May 2005 01.31, Rikard Johnels wrote:

gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu

And just to prove my point this thread (of course) works like a charm... :(

Rikard Johnels
2005-05-25 07:21:15 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Wednesday 25 May 2005 01.41, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

BUT, list mail, unless specifically requested, should be replied to the *list* only. Why generate an extra copy and the extra traffic by sending the author *another* copy of a post he will see on the list anyway?

Security as this list has proved me unreliable when posting. All other lists i am on never failed..

I dont WANT to sen double, but if its the only way to be sure i get the answers through to the people i discuss with...

Owen Cook
2005-05-25 10:50:34 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Wed, 25 May 2005, Rikard Johnels wrote:

Security as this list has proved me unreliable when posting. All other lists i am on never failed..

I dont WANT to sen double, but if its the only way to be sure i get the answers through to the people i discuss with...

Your message will get through. Just that there is a delay of 2 - 8 hours before it is repropagated from the list mailer.

Owen

ps Probably the US Homeland Security mob holding it up. Certainly doesn't happen on the European lists

Carol Spears
2005-05-25 12:07:29 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 07:21:15AM +0200, Rikard Johnels wrote:

the gimp-user list is running very slowly lately. i would be curious as to how many are on the maillist....

i have not configured my mailer very much, therefore, i try to answer emails that were sent to the list back to the list and emails that i know came from an individual to the individual. the emphasis should be on the "try". i can see from the headers if the email was also sent to the list or not, whether i actually look at those is another emotionally charged question.

right now, you are making a mistake i often make -- although, i think you make it on purpose. we had quite an exchange via email and most of that i think i sent directly to you and not to the list. i relaxed and typed as if i were typing to a thinking adult since there were words in the emails that did not fit on a public mail list -- installing things can be frustrating.

can i ask that you paste some (perhaps not all) of the spew you got from when you tried to install the gimp-perl tarball? not only is the line about the cat interesting, but also the "install pdl" and "please do not install the pdl" error messages. send this to the whole list and await for the list to mail it out.

i was apologizing to you (directly) for suse, even though i had nothing to do with this distribution (to the best of my knowledge).

can i ask you personally as well as publically ... did you pay for your suse installation and what did you expect when you installed it?

carol

Rikard Johnels
2005-05-25 12:15:15 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Wednesday 25 May 2005 12.07, Carol Spears wrote:

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 07:21:15AM +0200, Rikard Johnels wrote:

the gimp-user list is running very slowly lately. i would be curious as to how many are on the maillist....

i have not configured my mailer very much, therefore, i try to answer emails that were sent to the list back to the list and emails that i know came from an individual to the individual. the emphasis should be on the "try". i can see from the headers if the email was also sent to the list or not, whether i actually look at those is another emotionally charged question.

right now, you are making a mistake i often make -- although, i think you make it on purpose. we had quite an exchange via email and most of that i think i sent directly to you and not to the list. i relaxed and typed as if i were typing to a thinking adult since there were words in the emails that did not fit on a public mail list -- installing things can be frustrating.

can i ask that you paste some (perhaps not all) of the spew you got from when you tried to install the gimp-perl tarball? not only is the line about the cat interesting, but also the "install pdl" and "please do not install the pdl" error messages. send this to the whole list and await for the list to mail it out.

i was apologizing to you (directly) for suse, even though i had nothing to do with this distribution (to the best of my knowledge).

can i ask you personally as well as publically ... did you pay for your suse installation and what did you expect when you installed it?

carol

Thats just the point!
I send a cc to the list at all times and have done so along our conversation. And they just dont show up

Rikard Johnels
2005-05-25 12:16:53 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Wednesday 25 May 2005 10.50, Owen Cook wrote:

On Wed, 25 May 2005, Rikard Johnels wrote:

Your message will get through. Just that there is a delay of 2 - 8 hours before it is repropagated from the list mailer.

Owen

ps Probably the US Homeland Security mob holding it up. Certainly doesn't happen on the European lists

_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

It has been DAYS!
And even weeks...

Michael Schumacher
2005-05-25 13:36:09 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Von: Rikard Johnels

It has been DAYS!

I'ts not that uncommon for a mailing list to have a queue time of one or two days.

And even weeks...

This, however, can't be considered normal. IIRC, the mailing list system is slow, but not that slow. Manish Singh should be able to provide details about it (Carol, do you know anything per chance?)

Michael

Carol Spears
2005-05-25 17:07:51 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 01:36:09PM +0200, Michael Schumacher wrote:

This, however, can't be considered normal. IIRC, the mailing list system is slow, but not that slow. Manish Singh should be able to provide details about it (Carol, do you know anything per chance?)

i do not know anything.

i suggested that we attach a household window fan to the top of the computer called beta earlier this week (it was having heat problems at berkeley) when i learned that this computer has a broken motherboard.

this was interesting news as no one has touched it since i came to california. i was also told that it is common knowledge that this computer is not able to be repaired.

i would like to know if anyone else has been able to determine a computers health without touching it or plugging it in?

carol

Michael Schumacher
2005-05-25 17:32:47 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Von: Carol Spears

i suggested that we attach a household window fan to the top of the computer called beta earlier this week (it was having heat problems at berkeley) when i learned that this computer has a broken motherboard.

this was interesting news as no one has touched it since i came to california. i was also told that it is common knowledge that this computer is not able to be repaired.

Only for suitable values of "common", IMO... Well, as we don't know how to spend the donated money, I guess that we should consider to buy buying one (or two, to have some redundancy?) decent, priceworthy system for the mailing list, ftp and web servers gimp.org needs?

i would like to know if anyone else has been able to determine a computers health without touching it or plugging it in?

Telepathy - or, as it is not plugged in, necromancy(sp?)?

Michael

Carol Spears
2005-05-25 19:30:29 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 05:32:47PM +0200, Michael Schumacher wrote:

Von: Carol Spears

Only for suitable values of "common", IMO... Well, as we don't know how to spend the donated money, I guess that we should consider to buy buying one (or two, to have some redundancy?) decent, priceworthy system for the mailing list, ftp and web servers gimp.org needs?

Telepathy - or, as it is not plugged in, necromancy(sp?)?

that is what i think also -- that there should be some power applied before it can change status like that.

i rather liked the berkeley ip when i first got started with gimp. since then, it seems like there are only 1.25 gimp people who have access to hardware there.

the way my current take what sort of nightmare i am having is this, that the mozilla people around the berkeley area will never finish with gimp resources and that they might need to be physically removed from them.

i am impressed with my own ability to figure out what is going wrong with software, i wonder if the same is true for my ability to figure out what is wrong with the people making software?

carol

Manish Singh
2005-05-25 20:09:40 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 12:15:15PM +0200, Rikard Johnels wrote:

Thats just the point!
I send a cc to the list at all times and have done so along our conversation. And they just dont show up

You have nodupes turned on in your list subscription settings. Turn it off you don't like it (this isn't the default, so you must have turned it on at some point).

-Yosh

Marc) (A.) (Lehmann
2005-05-25 23:01:41 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 01:36:09PM +0200, Michael Schumacher wrote:

I'ts not that uncommon for a mailing list to have a queue time of one or two days.

And even weeks...

A possible reason is that mails with different From: addresses get held for moderation but nobody does moderation (at least, all my mails that had a different From: address than the one subscribed never reached the lists, and I don't assume they have all been deleted by the moderator).

So make sure you use the same From: that you used to subscribe (could be envelope-form, but I doubt that).

Rikard Johnels
2005-05-29 17:14:27 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Very few of my posts show on the list... (SOLVED!)

On Wednesday 25 May 2005 01.49, Rikard Johnels wrote:

On Wednesday 25 May 2005 01.31, Rikard Johnels wrote:

gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu

And just to prove my point this thread (of course) works like a charm... :(

It is with MUCH embarrassment i can report the solution of the problem;

I had a fetchmail daemon pulling mail from my POP# account as well as my ordinary KMail..
Thus a random number of mail got "lost" on the way. (I forgot to check the fetchmail queue)

Sorry to have wasted bandwidth with this...