RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Wilber

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Wilber Gilberto 19 May 17:26
  Wilber Olivier Ripoll 20 May 09:12
   Wilber Michael Schumacher 21 May 01:57
Wilber Gilberto 19 May 19:27
  Wilber Olivier Ripoll 20 May 19:17
  Wilber Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 20 May 19:27
Wilber Erica 20 May 10:07
  Wilber Sven Neumann 21 May 15:37
Gilberto
2005-05-19 17:26:11 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Wilber

Hi

I live in Brasil
I´m planning to sell mugs with Wilber decoration. Is this legal?

Gilberto

Gilberto
2005-05-19 19:27:51 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Wilber

Hi

I live in Brasil

Gilberto

Olivier Ripoll
2005-05-20 09:12:54 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Wilber

Gilberto wrote:

Hi

I live in Brasil

Gilberto

Wilber logo is GPLed. So as long as you provide the source code of your mug and carve the complete GPL licence on the bottom face of the mug, there is no problem.

Olivier.

Erica
2005-05-20 10:07:16 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Wilber

--- Gilberto wrote:

Hi

I live in Brasil

Gilberto

Yeah, I think it is. If it is legal to sell GIMP, it might be legal to sell mugs with Wilber. Refer to this page: http://gimp.org/about/selling.html Hope I helped.

___________________________________________________________ Yahoo! Messenger - want a free and easy way to contact your friends online? http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

Olivier Ripoll
2005-05-20 19:17:02 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Wilber

Gilberto wrote:

Hi

I live in Brasil

Gilberto

Hi Gilberto,

I think Wilber's logo was made by an artist known as Tigert (google for it). If you have doubts the GPL is compatible with your work, you can ask him for permission.

Regards,

Olivier.

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2005-05-20 19:27:21 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Wilber

On Thursday 19 May 2005 14:27, Gilberto wrote:

Hi

I live in Brasil

Gilberto

Hi Gilberto!

Yes, it is legal to do your all artworks, for profit or not, based on the GIMP art.

AFAIK all artwork that is officially related to the GIMP is licensed under the GPL, so, if possible, you could attach a text in a label with the mugs stating that the artwork can be reproduced, as far as the GPL terms are satisfied. Most people do not do that - and no one will be sued for nto doing so, certainly.

However, I personally consider a "copyleft" label on stuff that is indeed copyleft a good thing, in a sense that people that do not realize that most other things are "copyright" begin to do so.

If you need any further help, yo may contact me in portuguese.

Regards, JS
->

Michael Schumacher
2005-05-21 01:57:14 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Wilber

Olivier Ripoll wrote:

Gilberto wrote:

I live in Brasil

Wilber logo is GPLed. So as long as you provide the source code of your mug and carve the complete GPL licence on the bottom face of the mug, there is no problem.

Hm, I'll try to give a more serious answer:

Basically, Olivier is right (if the Wilber is really GPLed). But you don't have to carve the GPL into the mug (/me slaps Olivier).

What would be nice if each cup came with a short note explaining what GIMP is and an offer from you to provide the source of the mug to your customers (in this case, this would be the image ready for printing on cups). IMO you don't have to provide the sources for the mug itself, because this can be considered the platform Wilber is used on.

HTH, Michael

Sven Neumann
2005-05-21 15:37:27 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Wilber

Hi,

Erica writes:

I live in Brasil

Gilberto

Yeah, I think it is. If it is legal to sell GIMP, it might be legal to sell mugs with Wilber. Refer to this page: http://gimp.org/about/selling.html

I'd be very careful about this. I am not a lawyer, but IMO it is wrong to assume that selling things with the GIMP logo is legal without a written agreement with the author of the artwork. But it is probably safe to assume that noone is going to sue you if you donate a fair share of your bargain to the GIMP project (http://gimp.org/donating/).

The page you referred to clearly only deals with selling the software.

Sven