RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

modular GIMP

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

modular GIMP delriaan@elite-fantasy-graphx.150m.com 06 May 05:07
  modular GIMP David Marrs 08 May 03:28
   modular GIMP Sven Neumann 09 May 09:59
    modular GIMP Olivier Ripoll 10 May 10:12
     modular GIMP Sven Neumann 11 May 22:26
      modular GIMP Olivier Ripoll 12 May 09:21
       modular GIMP Alexander Rabtchevich 12 May 09:29
       modular GIMP Sven Neumann 12 May 15:48
    modular GIMP David Marrs 10 May 23:04
modular GIMP Michael Schumacher 12 May 10:06
delriaan@elite-fantasy-graphx.150m.com
2005-05-06 05:07:15 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

modular GIMP

Just a general question to throw out there: Is it feasible to have GIMP be modular in it's filters and image tools (basically all of the image processing stuff outside of painting)? I've worked in 3D with apps that have such an approach, where each module can be added / removed and the object(s) update accordingly. This would make image editing even more flexible, professional, and sexy (hehehe). This way, one doesn't worry as much about having to go thru a lot of undos when something goes wrong or the artist has a flash of inspiration that's on a totally different track than he/she was on before. I've been using GIMP for quite a while now, and I believe such functionality would really enhance the GIMP experience.

I realize doing such a thing would be a significant change in the inner workings of the app. But it's an idea, and that's what's great about the open-source world: that ideas are exchanged and acted upon (or discarded) without sitting in board rooms talking about demographics and cost-effectiveness and all that drab rubbish! L8rz!

David Marrs
2005-05-08 03:28:01 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

modular GIMP

delriaan@elite-fantasy-graphx.150m.com wrote:

Just a general question to throw out there: Is it feasible to have GIMP be modular in it's filters and image tools (basically all of the image processing stuff outside of painting)? I've worked in 3D with apps that have such an approach, where each module can be added / removed and the object(s) update accordingly. This would make image editing even more flexible, professional, and sexy (hehehe). This way, one doesn't worry as much about having to go thru a lot of undos when something goes wrong or the artist has a flash of inspiration that's on a totally different track than he/she was on before. I've been using GIMP for quite a while now, and I believe such functionality would really enhance the GIMP experience.

Are you thinking of something like Blender's object viewer?

I quite like the idea of seeing the signal path laid out in a modular form. You can see the channels flowing through the layers, which layers have filters operating on them and how this affects the signal. It would certainly be useful from the point of view of understanding how an image gets processed in the GIMP. I don't know how useful it would be as a tool in its own right, though. Perhaps you could use it to highlight problems you're having.

Sven Neumann
2005-05-09 09:59:27 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

modular GIMP

Hi,

David Marrs writes:

I quite like the idea of seeing the signal path laid out in a modular form. You can see the channels flowing through the layers, which layers have filters operating on them and how this affects the signal. It would certainly be useful from the point of view of understanding how an image gets processed in the GIMP.

You just described the image processing graph which is the basic concept we are trying to implement with GEGL.

Sven

Olivier Ripoll
2005-05-10 10:12:03 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

modular GIMP

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

David Marrs writes:

I quite like the idea of seeing the signal path laid out in a modular form. You can see the channels flowing through the layers, which layers have filters operating on them and how this affects the signal. It would certainly be useful from the point of view of understanding how an image gets processed in the GIMP.

You just described the image processing graph which is the basic concept we are trying to implement with GEGL.

Sven

Hi Sven,

I have been following the GEGL mailing-list via the gmane.org newsgroup server and I see no real traffic in the last months (for this year actually, like if it stopped on new year's day). Is this a gmane issue or has there really been no traffic since last December ?

On a totally unrelated topic, I haven't seen any announcement on the mailing lists for gimp 2.2.7 yet ;) From the changelog, it is mainly a small-bug fixes, but there is one line with the word "memleak"

Regards,

Olivier.

David Marrs
2005-05-10 23:04:59 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

modular GIMP

Sven Neumann wrote:

Sven

Cool! :D

Sven Neumann
2005-05-11 22:26:13 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

modular GIMP

Hi,

Olivier Ripoll writes:

I have been following the GEGL mailing-list via the gmane.org newsgroup server and I see no real traffic in the last months (for this year actually, like if it stopped on new year's day). Is this a gmane issue or has there really been no traffic since last December ?

AFAIK there hasn't been much if any traffic since then.

On a totally unrelated topic, I haven't seen any announcement on the mailing lists for gimp 2.2.7 yet ;) From the changelog, it is mainly a small-bug fixes, but there is one line with the word "memleak"

What are you trying to tell us with these vague statements?

Sven

Olivier Ripoll
2005-05-12 09:21:56 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

modular GIMP

Sven Neumann wrote:

Sven

That 1) an announcement of Gimp 2.2.7 would be welcome on the gimp-devel and gimp-user mailing lists. I do not usually check the web site.

And that 2) if the announcement could contain some explanations on what is new and or what important bugs were corrected, it would be also nice :) Is it highly recommended to upgrade ? Here is what I could gather from the changelog:

fixes for bugs #303371 (tile-cache-size > 4GB causes warnings) #303379 (Typo in description of gimp_image_scale) #164281 ("Resize window on Zoom" feature is overzealous) #164061 (lighten only (layer mode))
#302400 (close dialog's labels included in focus chain) #302075 (Lightning Effects plugin - artifacts in transparent background) #151767 (File descriptor leak in egg_recent_model_add_full) #301557 (Saving of grayscale TIFF fails ("Bits/sample must be 1 for Group 3/4 encoding/decoding"))
#301523 (Thumbnail of filters preview is not selection aware) #301524 ("reload gradients" in gflare) #301432 (New PDF files have large gap at top of image) #301028 (.xcf text layers no longer editable as text on re-open) #301033 (Layer previews do not update if colormap is changed)

other changes without bug numbers * plug-ins/pygimp/plug-ins/clothify.py: don't reset the passed parameters to default values. Spotted by Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris. * tools/pdbgen/pdb/image.pdb: plugged a small memleak. * plug-ins/common/mail.c (create_headers): set charset to UTF-8. * plug-ins/common/newsprint.c: Redo comment for spot_PSsquare and spot_PSdiamonds, since the code was not a derived work in the copyright sense. It is a C implementation of the same algorithm.
* libgimp/gimpdrawable.[ch] (gimp_drawable_get_tile) (gimp_drawable_get_tile2): cleanup gint/gboolean confusion (spotted by Maurits Rijk).
* app/app_procs.c: register handler for the "GimpPaint" log domain.

Of course, I would not have had to go and dig in bugzilla if the web site annoucement had contained a link to this: http://developer.gimp.org/NEWS-2.2

Regards,

Olivier

Alexander Rabtchevich
2005-05-12 09:29:48 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

modular GIMP

I'm second to that - the user list is the right place where the new releases are to be announced :).

Olivier Ripoll wrote:

That 1) an announcement of Gimp 2.2.7 would be welcome on the gimp-devel and gimp-user mailing lists. I do not usually check the web site.

Michael Schumacher
2005-05-12 10:06:26 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

modular GIMP

--- Ursprüngliche Nachricht ---
Von: Olivier Ripoll
An: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Betreff: [Gimp-user] Re: modular GIMP Datum: Thu, 12 May 2005 09:21:56 +0200

Sven Neumann wrote:

Sven

And that 2) if the announcement could contain some explanations on what is new and or what important bugs were corrected, it would be also nice :) Is it highly recommended to upgrade ? Here is what I could gather from the changelog:

So it seems like we have found someone who is able to do such announcements for future releases :)

Add gimpwin-users and comp.graphics.apps.gimp to the list of places that have to be notified. There's also some websites out there that should be updated at this time (Freshmeat, GNOMEfiles, ...)

Michael

Sven Neumann
2005-05-12 15:48:19 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

modular GIMP

Hi,

Olivier Ripoll writes:

You could subscribe to my weblog instead ;)

And that 2) if the announcement could contain some explanations on what is new and or what important bugs were corrected, it would be also nice :)

I didn't have the impression that anyone would have ever cared about release announcement mails but perhaps that was a wrong impression. But since those mails take a considerable amount of time to write, I would prefer to only do that for major releases? Perhaps someone else wants to write the mails instead? Or prepare the mail and give it to me so I can review and send it?

Is it highly recommended to upgrade ?

GIMP 2.2.7 only features a number of smaller bugfixes. The most important fix (bug #301028) only affects the Win32 platform.

Of course, I would not have had to go and dig in bugzilla if the web site annoucement had contained a link to this: http://developer.gimp.org/NEWS-2.2

Oh, doesn't it? I usually try to include a link to the NEWS file when announcing the release on the web-site.

Sven