RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Coloring questions

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Coloring questions Andrew Robinson 25 Apr 06:17
  Coloring questions Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 25 Apr 16:17
Andrew Robinson
2005-04-25 06:17:50 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Coloring questions

I'm trying to build menus for DVDs which are sensitive to the number of colors in the pgn files. I've got two related (I think) questions concerning coloring in The Gimp.

I want to create a layer with text on it that will be used as labels for buttons. I want the text to be in a single color and the layer to have a transparent background. That should total to two colors in the layer. When I create the layer and then save it as a png file, it winds up with about 10 colors. I assume this is because of antialiasing, but I'm not experienced enough with The Gimp to know. How would I create the text in a single color?

Second, I want to change the color of text on the first layer to generate a png file that will be used to indicate highlighted buttons. How do I change all the non-transparent pixels in a layer from one color to another? I've tried painting and bucket-fill of each character, but that is tedious and generates yet more colors per layer, I suppose because of feathering. There seems like there should be a simpler way.

Thanks!

Andrew Robinson

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2005-04-25 16:17:27 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Coloring questions

On Monday 25 April 2005 01:17, Andrew Robinson wrote:

I'm trying to build menus for DVDs which are sensitive to the number of colors in the pgn files. I've got two related (I think) questions concerning coloring in The Gimp.

I want to create a layer with text on it that will be used as labels for buttons. I want the text to be in a single color and the layer to have a transparent background. That should total to two colors in the layer. When I create the layer and then save it as a png file, it winds up with about 10 colors. I assume this is because of antialiasing, but I'm not experienced enough with The Gimp to know. How would I create the text in a single color?

Second, I want to change the color of text on the first layer to generate a png file that will be used to indicate highlighted buttons. How do I change all the non-transparent pixels in a layer from one color to another? I've tried painting and bucket-fill of each character, but that is tedious and generates yet more colors per layer, I suppose because of feathering. There seems like there should be a simpler way.

Thanks!

You have to work with an indexed image to have absolute control over color.
COnvert your image do indexed (Image->mode->indexed), pick two colors, and no dithering.

Aftwerwards, open the Color Map dialog (Dialogs->colormap), within which you can easily replace a color on the whole image at once.

If you prefer otherwise, work on RGB mode, and use teh "Select by color" tool, changing the threshold, to replace a color on the image - and before you save, do the indexing of the image.

Regards, JS
->

Andrew Robinson