RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

new splash

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

new splash Carol Spears 20 Apr 21:58
  new splash Matthew H. Plough 21 Apr 00:53
   new splash Carol Spears 21 Apr 03:09
Carol Spears
2005-04-20 21:58:39 UTC (about 19 years ago)

new splash

hi,

some of the developers keep saying things about a new gimp release and needing a new splash.

should we have another contest?

i admit, i have been avoiding treading on the success of the last one, however there seems to be need of both new development and stable splashes ....

any thoughts?

carol

Matthew H. Plough
2005-04-21 00:53:55 UTC (about 19 years ago)

new splash

Carol Spears wrote:

hi,

some of the developers keep saying things about a new gimp release and needing a new splash.

i admit, i have been avoiding treading on the success of the last one, however there seems to be need of both new development and stable splashes ....

any thoughts?

Blender has been holding a splash contest before every release, and it gets some pretty impressive stuff. So yeah, go ahead and have another one! Make it a tradition to have a contest, but make sure that the accepted submissions not only look great but also maintain a consistent GIMP "brand," rather than vacillating and recreating the brand with every release. There is no cohesion between the 1.2, 2.0, and 2.2 splashes, and this makes the GIMP look more like a beta-type work in progress than the mature program that it really is.

Matt

Carol Spears
2005-04-21 03:09:51 UTC (about 19 years ago)

new splash

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 06:53:55PM -0400, Matthew H. Plough wrote:

Carol Spears wrote:

any thoughts?

Blender has been holding a splash contest before every release, and it gets some pretty impressive stuff. So yeah, go ahead and have another one! Make it a tradition to have a contest, but make sure that the accepted submissions not only look great but also maintain a consistent GIMP "brand," rather than vacillating and recreating the brand with every release. There is no cohesion between the 1.2, 2.0, and 2.2 splashes, and this makes the GIMP look more like a beta-type work in progress than the mature program that it really is.

well, i had nothing to do with the selection of the splash. ever, if i remember correctly. and i can make no promises about that.

i am still smiling about the 600+ entries in the first contest. i am only concerned with getting the submissions from everyone and showing them to everyone else, including the developers. at least making them available to be seen.

whenever you get a bunch of images together, you can get a bunch of opinions; getting the images is the important thing.

beyond getting the contest up again, i can probably be around for the next few releases to get it going right before -- i can read developer sign also for when it might be time for a new contest ....

you should tell your opinions about which splash is picked to the people who do the chosing, what you are saying makes sense to me.

carol