RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

file open with gimp 2.2.4 and AFS

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

file open with gimp 2.2.4 and AFS Reinhard Drube 07 Apr 13:22
  file open with gimp 2.2.4 and AFS Manish Singh 07 Apr 19:41
Pine.BSF.4.58L0.05040721423... 07 Oct 20:17
  file open with gimp 2.2.4 and AFS Reinhard Drube 08 Apr 13:27
   file open with gimp 2.2.4 and AFS Sven Neumann 08 Apr 22:43
   file open with gimp 2.2.4 and AFS Manish Singh 08 Apr 23:44
Reinhard Drube
2005-04-07 13:22:32 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hi,

is there a way to avoid that the whole file tree is accessed upon 'file open'? Running gimp on a unix machine with AFS client contacts every AFS cell around the world. That lasts >15 minutes for a simple file open! So I am looking for a gimmick at least to avoid access to path /afs. I think the same problems can occur with nfs mounted file systems.

Before that I operated with gimp 2.0.3 where only the path was scanned where gimp was started. This worked fine.

Thanks for help in advance! Reinhard

Manish Singh
2005-04-07 19:41:58 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 01:22:32PM +0200, Reinhard Drube wrote:

Hi,

is there a way to avoid that the whole file tree is accessed upon 'file open'? Running gimp on a unix machine with AFS client contacts every AFS cell around the world. That lasts >15 minutes for a simple file open! So I am looking for a gimmick at least to avoid access to path /afs. I think the same problems can occur with nfs mounted file systems.

Before that I operated with gimp 2.0.3 where only the path was scanned where gimp was started. This worked fine.

File a bug against gtk+. The old filesel special cased /afs and /net, the new one doesn't appear to.

-Yosh

Reinhard Drube
2005-04-08 13:27:24 UTC (about 19 years ago)

File a bug against gtk+. The old filesel special cased /afs and /net, the new one doesn't appear to.

I think this is not the fact. If I compile

gtk+-2.4.14/examples/filesel/filesel.c

this program works fast and fine. There you have a pulldown menu which contains the cwd and all supaths. But without inspecting them until I select them!

On the other hand the 'open file' of gimp 2.2.4 offers one clickable button per subpath. And as I see on the console these subpaths are inspected. That is absolutely nonsens.

So if some of you can tell me where is the source file I can change I will do.

Thanks for help!
Reinhard

Sven Neumann
2005-04-08 22:43:32 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hi,

That is the old file-selection widget, not what GIMP 2.2 is using. Please follow Yosh's advice and file a bug-report against the GtkFileChooser widget.

Sven

Manish Singh
2005-04-08 23:44:19 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 01:27:24PM +0200, Reinhard Drube wrote:

That uses GtkFileSelection, not GtkFileChooser. Like I said, GtkFileSelection (the old, deprecated widget) special cased things. GtkFileChoose does not.

this program works fast and fine. There you have a pulldown menu which contains the cwd and all supaths. But without inspecting them until I select them!

On the other hand the 'open file' of gimp 2.2.4 offers one clickable button per subpath. And as I see on the console these subpaths are inspected. That is absolutely nonsens.

The fact that the dialogs look *completely* different, as you noticed, should've been a tip off that you were testing different things.

So if some of you can tell me where is the source file I can change I will do.

If you feel like trying to fix it yourself, start with gtkfilesystemunix.c. There isn't any special casing infastructure there though, so if you were hoping for a one-line change, it's going to be more work than that.

-Yosh