RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Can't seem to edit brushes or save custom brushes I make.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Can't seem to edit brushes or save custom brushes I make. Wood_Goat02 09 Dec 00:23
  Can't seem to edit brushes or save custom brushes I make. rich404 09 Dec 09:52
   Can't seem to edit brushes or save custom brushes I make. Ofnuts 12 Dec 12:27
2018-12-09 00:23:06 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

woah, haven't been here in a couple years! I've been trialing Gimp versions since I first began to use Gimp at version 2.6. what a great program- I freely admit I shill the GIMP whenever I get a chance; is there a mobile GIMP by chance?

Anyway. I've recently been working on getting used to 2.10.8 and I believe I'm missing a fundamental step in saving brushes I make, or .abr brushes (from ps.cc). Nor can I modify the hardness of a brush. I can't go below .25 hardness and I prefer 0 most of the time.

I use an old crusty laptop with a touchpad, 12gb ram, 1tb hd...onboard cheapo graphics card with a sad little 2gb video ram.

It's a small cheap old laptop but has always easily run GIMP (well, some G'mic filters will trial it).

I've placed my brushes in C:/prog files/gimp2/share/gimp/2.0/brushes; I got this from a tutorial online.

but all I see are installed brushes, not the ones I make or .abr brush sets.

Please help me figure this out, I 'm pretty sure the path is wrong.

cheers

rich404
2018-12-09 09:52:46 UTC (over 5 years ago)

woah, haven't been here in a couple years! I've been trialing Gimp versions since I first began to use Gimp at version 2.6. what a great program- I freely admit I shill the GIMP whenever I get a chance; is there a mobile GIMP by chance?

There is a portable Gimp 2.10 for Windows try:

www.partha.com (64 bit only) or https://samjcreations.blogspot.com (64/32 bit) or https://portableapps.com/ (32 bit only)

Android version for a mobile - No

Anyway. I've recently been working on getting used to 2.10.8 and I believe I'm missing a fundamental step in saving brushes I make, or .abr brushes (from ps.cc).

Just shows that you should take those online tutorials with a pinch of salt.

Gimp 2.6 / 2.8 / 2.10 all the same, any resource, including brushes, goes in your Gimp profile. For Windows 2.10 this is in a hidden folder, you need to make Appdata visible in Win explorer.

C:\Users\your-name\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\brushes

Portable versions will be different, because they are portable, Look in Edit -> Preferences -> Folders > Brushes for the path.

PS .abr brushes will work providing they are not very recent, try and see.

Why can you not export (save) your brushes? ***C:/prog files/gimp2/share/gimp/2.0/brushes*** is marked as read-only. The place to export is the Gimp profile.

Nor can I modify the hardness of a brush. I can't go below .25 hardness and I prefer 0 most of the time.

I think you can, Attached screenshot of my fuzzy .vbr brush has zero hardness. A little fuzzier than the stock brushes.

Ofnuts
2018-12-12 12:27:10 UTC (over 5 years ago)

On 12/9/18 10:52 AM, rich404 wrote:

The place to
export is the Gimp profile.

Or any folder you add to Edit>Preferences>Folders>Brushes which IMHO is an even better solution (easier to manage in your file explorer, more likely to be backed up, etc...)