RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp/Graphire 3 Flakiness

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp/Graphire 3 Flakiness...Aha! Michael Edwards 01 Mar 06:08
20050226190106.AD674120AA@l... 07 Oct 20:17
  Gimp/Graphire 3 Flakiness Michael Edwards 01 Mar 05:47
   Gimp/Graphire 3 Flakiness David Herman 01 Mar 16:51
Michael Edwards
2005-03-01 05:47:07 UTC (about 19 years ago)

I have also been experiencing problems with Gimp 2.2.4 and the Wacom Graphire 3 that match exactly what a previous poster experienced.

1) At a certain point, not long after I start using the tablet in Gimp, the cursor stops changing from, say, the paint cursor to the default pointer and just stays as the paint cursor, even outside the canvas. This means that I cannot access the palettes, the windows, or the rest of the desktop. Using ALT-TAB stops working, too.

2) Once this happens, watching which device is active, I can switch from "Stylus" to "Eraser" without a problem, but it won't switch back to the Core Device once I start moving the mouse. The cursor still responds and moves around, but the active device stays locked where it was, either as "Stylus" or "Eraser".

3) If I keep this up for a while, the cursor stops interacting with the canvas completely, so I can no longer paint or do anything.

4) Eventually, the pointer regains its ability to switch back to a default pointer outside the template, and I'm able to quit Gimp.

I've tried this in Gimp 2.2.4 and Gimp 2.0, with the same problem reappearing. The thing is, I used to have this working with 2.0, no problems at all. My XFree86 setup is fine, I was once able to do everything without a problem. The only differences I can think of are that:

a) I've upgraded to the 2.6.10 kernel. No difference with just the stock drivers or with the linuxwacom drivers added to it. b) I'm using garnome, version 2.8.2.1. I THINK that it was working after I had garnome installed, but I'm not 100%.

What I definitely have in common with the previous poster is that I'm using kernel 2.6.10. Has anyone else with a Wacom tablet and 2.6.10 installed run into this issue? I'm going to switch back to 2.6.1 and see what happens.

-Mike

Michael Edwards
2005-03-01 06:08:59 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Gimp/Graphire 3 Flakiness...Aha!

Okay, I just rebooted into kernel 2.6.1, and the problem is gone! The difference, as far I can tell, is either something strictly with the kernel versions or the fact that the 2.6.1 wacom module I built completely from the linuxwacom sources and the 2.6.10 modules were originally built from the included code from the kernel tarball (though later replaced in 2.6.10 by the linuxwacom modules, to no effect).

Anyone have an idea on what might've caused something like that to happen? I'm not even sure what subsystem was acting up there. I assume something when haywire with the kernel modules, but it could easily also have been the X server drivers, too, or some combination thereof. Crrrrazy.

-Mike

David Herman
2005-03-01 16:51:13 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Monday 28 February 2005 8:47 pm, Michael Edwards wrote:

I have also been experiencing problems with Gimp 2.2.4 and the Wacom Graphire 3 that match exactly what a previous poster experienced.

1) At a certain point, not long after I start using the tablet in Gimp, the cursor stops changing from, say, the paint cursor to the default pointer and just stays as the paint cursor, even outside the canvas. This means that I cannot access the palettes, the windows, or the rest of the desktop. Using ALT-TAB stops working, too.

2) Once this happens, watching which device is active, I can switch from "Stylus" to "Eraser" without a problem, but it won't switch back to the Core Device once I start moving the mouse. The cursor still responds and moves around, but the active device stays locked where it was, either as "Stylus" or "Eraser".

3) If I keep this up for a while, the cursor stops interacting with the canvas completely, so I can no longer paint or do anything.

4) Eventually, the pointer regains its ability to switch back to a default pointer outside the template, and I'm able to quit Gimp.

I've tried this in Gimp 2.2.4 and Gimp 2.0, with the same problem reappearing. The thing is, I used to have this working with 2.0, no problems at all. My XFree86 setup is fine, I was once able to do everything without a problem. The only differences I can think of are that:

a) I've upgraded to the 2.6.10 kernel. No difference with just the stock drivers or with the linuxwacom drivers added to it. b) I'm using garnome, version 2.8.2.1. I THINK that it was working after I had garnome installed, but I'm not 100%.

What I definitely have in common with the previous poster is that I'm using kernel 2.6.10. Has anyone else with a Wacom tablet and 2.6.10 installed run into this issue? I'm going to switch back to 2.6.1 and see what happens.

Just confirming your observations, I get the same kind of anomalies w/ my graphire (version1?) tablet and the win4lin built 2.6.8-24.10 kernel for suse9.2.