RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

installation directories

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

installation directories Bill W. 15 Feb 00:16
  installation directories Carol Spears 15 Feb 06:29
000001c513d8$2820d070$2600a... 07 Oct 20:17
  installation directories Carol Spears 16 Feb 05:19
000901c513e9$e57895c0$2600a... 07 Oct 20:17
  installation directories Carol Spears 16 Feb 06:53
Bill W.
2005-02-15 00:16:53 UTC (about 19 years ago)

installation directories

Hi,
I just introduced a friend to Gimp (win32). We used the GTK installer first and the Gimp2 installer second. I noticed that the installer says that we were installing version 2.2. Anyway Gimp would not run citing an error that it could not find a bunch of dll's.
I checked on my machine (I dual boot) and found them in C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\bin. That's where they were installed on my friend machine, as well. The error message said it was looking for those dll's in C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins. So we just copied all the dll's from the bin directory to the appropriate plugins directory. Not the most elegant fix but the Gimp now works.

Is this an issue with the installer? I guess this might be a bug report but I'm not sure where to report it.

Anyway, Thanks and regards,
Bill W.

Carol Spears
2005-02-15 06:29:14 UTC (about 19 years ago)

installation directories

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 03:16:53PM -0800, Bill W. wrote:

Hi,
I just introduced a friend to Gimp (win32). We used the GTK installer first and the Gimp2 installer second. I noticed that the installer says that we were installing version 2.2. Anyway Gimp would not run citing an error that it could not find a bunch of dll's.
I checked on my machine (I dual boot) and found them in C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\bin. That's where they were installed on my friend machine, as well. The error message said it was looking for those dll's in C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins. So we just copied all the dll's from the bin directory to the appropriate plugins directory. Not the most elegant fix but the Gimp now works.

Is this an issue with the installer? I guess this might be a bug report but I'm not sure where to report it.

which installer? also, i think that the dll's that gimp cited would be important to this discussion.

i use gimp on linux so, i don't think i will be able to help you that much -- but it should be helpful to others to know which installer and which dlls gimp couldn't find. you would need to know this much before we let you know the secret location of the bug reporting device anyways.

carol

Carol Spears
2005-02-16 05:19:14 UTC (about 19 years ago)

installation directories

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 11:51:22AM -0800, Bill W. wrote:

Hi Carol,
Thanks for the advice.
The installers were....
installed first..... gtk+-2.4.14-setup.zip > gtk+-2.4.14-setup.exe installed second.... gimp-2.2.3-i586-setup.zip > gimp-2.2.3-i586-setup.exe

indicates extracted package

Also, I use Gimp on linux as my primary workstation but I also use in on my secondary windows xp workstation.
Also, I'm getting pretty excited as I get closer to the discovery of the 'secret location'..........

heh, well -- you should have more of a clue of how to bug report then ;)

there are several installers sometimes -- some that are free and you get to them via the gimp web site or other means that people take to find installers for free windows software. others that you pay for and also get promised phone help and you get to trust them forever with your credit card info and such. some that are available off and on via ebay, but there is a chance those people dont use the gimp bug reporting apparatus.

can you remember *where* you got your installer from and did this thing tell you where they installed those files on your computer? it would be the windows equivalent of the linux path, at least i think it would. a list of the files that were misplaced by the installer and the location they were misplaced at and the location that you moved them to that caused gimp to start to work.

i will warn you, just because gimp can work on windows does not mean that it likes it. AND, the way things are going, it is liking macintosh less and less.

carol

Carol Spears
2005-02-16 06:53:58 UTC (about 19 years ago)

installation directories

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 09:39:34PM -0800, Bill W. wrote:

Hi,
Thanks for following this thread.... I went to the Gimp.org
website.....http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html and followed the download links. The files were downloaded from http://puzzle.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/gimp-win/ which is the first available mirror listed from the original site. I believe that it is located in Switzerland. If I understand the distribution system of Gimp files, this would be considered an 'official' release version. Now as far as the installation glitch (as indicated in the original email starting this thread) I installed the prerequisite gtk modules to the default directory offered during the install and the gimp files to their default directories.
When I tried to run the Gimp executable it complained that it could not find a required dll. I searched for the missing dll and found it in C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\bin. The error message said that it was searching in C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins ..... so I copied it and all dll files from the first directory into the second. Now the Gimp works. I have been using Gimp for years in both linux and windows. My original intent was merely to give the packager (whoever she or he might be) a heads up on the fact that the installer is placing dll's in one (default) directory and the Gimp executable is expecting to find them in another.

I hope this clarifies the issue.

yes, it does very well.

i think you should file the bug report. limit the report to just that you used the installer from the sourceforge site and just to the part about the plug-ins being installed into the wrong location.

http://bugs.gimp.org is the "secret location" and is actually just a cover for an even more secret site. there are several menus, the most important one for this report is to make certain the component you cite is the "Installer".

the developers are not nearly as fun or as patient as i am, so you have been warned.

better to use gimp on linux any day ....

carol