RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP & RAW

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP & RAW DavidC 23 Oct 13:11
  GIMP & RAW rich404 23 Oct 14:36
2017-10-23 13:11:32 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

GIMP & RAW

I’m very new to GIMP & this forum, slowly getting to grips with it (thanks to ‘How to Gimp’ & YouTube). However I’m experiencing one problem & I’m sure that this question has probably been asked several times before; how can I connect Gimp 2.8 & UFRaw? I have 2 RAW formats, Canon (CR2) & Panasonic (RW2). I ticked the boxes that were available when I downloaded UFRaw but in GIMP when I try to open an image in the folder where there are RAW files, nothing is shown to open. Conversely, in UFRaw, I can open RAW images but it won’t pass them to GIMP! However, one I opened an image in UFRaw, changed some settings (trial & error) then closed the image. Somehow, ay a later date I found that in GIMP I had the corrected image with the suffix .ppm. I don’t remember what I did! If someone could help or point me in the right direction I would be very grateful as I don’t want to keep working in jpeg

rich404
2017-10-23 14:36:59 UTC (over 6 years ago)

GIMP & RAW

I’m very new to GIMP & this forum, slowly getting to grips with it (thanks to ‘How to Gimp’ & YouTube). However I’m experiencing one problem & I’m sure that this question has probably been asked several times before; how can I connect Gimp 2.8 & UFRaw? I have 2 RAW formats, Canon (CR2) & Panasonic (RW2). I ticked the boxes that were available when I downloaded UFRaw but in GIMP when I try to open an image in the folder where there are RAW files, nothing is shown to open. Conversely, in UFRaw, I can open RAW images but it won’t pass them to GIMP! However, one I opened an image in UFRaw, changed some settings (trial & error) then closed the image. Somehow, ay a later date I found that in GIMP I had the corrected image with the suffix .ppm. I don’t remember what I did! If someone could help or point me in the right direction I would be very grateful as I don’t want to keep working in jpeg

UFraw is now quite old and there is an updated version nUFraw. AFAIK both fail to send the opened RAW image to the Windows version of Gimp, Which you have discovered.

Then there is the version of Gimp. Gimp 2.8.x operates in 8 bit per channel, to get the best out of your RAW images, 16 bit is better. You get 16 bit with the development version Gimp 2.9.x

The next issue is operating system. For linux you can compile from code, or if using one of the 'buntus there is a ppa. Also a portable Gimp 2.9.x 'appimage' which might work.

For Windows, it is a little more difficult, again compile yourself or there is a precompiled standalone see: http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15301#p211428 which details some of the problems.

A much, much, easier way for Windows is Gimp 2.9.6 from www.partha.com which comes with nUFraw pre-installed. This will co-exist with your existing Gimp so nothing is lost.

The screenshot shows this version and a panasonic .rw2 opened. Click the 'save' and the image is sent to Gimp. Recommend going that route.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net