RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Remove Background

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Remove Background Tom 27 Jul 15:43
  Remove Background Steve Kinney 28 Jul 21:08
   Remove Background Steve Kinney 29 Jul 21:52
    Remove Background jammartinez760 03 Aug 07:27
Tom
2017-07-27 15:43:08 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Remove Background

Hi,
I need to remove the white background from a clip art I will be using. Can GIMP software do this? Thanks
Sent from my iPad

Steve Kinney
2017-07-28 21:08:07 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Remove Background

On 07/27/2017 11:43 AM, Tom wrote:

Hi,
I need to remove the white background from a clip art I will be using. Can GIMP software do this?

If the background is the only white in the image, you can do:

Colors > Color to alpha

That will make the white background transparent in one go.

If your foreground image does have some white in it, you can select the white area(s), followed by Select > Invert. Then the above command will not affect the white bits of the foreground image.

:o)

Steve Kinney
2017-07-29 21:52:09 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Remove Background

On 07/28/2017 05:08 PM, Steve Kinney wrote:

On 07/27/2017 11:43 AM, Tom wrote:

Hi,
I need to remove the white background from a clip art I will be using. Can GIMP software do this?

If the background is the only white in the image, you can do:

Colors > Color to alpha

That will make the white background transparent in one go.

If your foreground image does have some white in it, you can select the white area(s), followed by Select > Invert. Then the above command will not affect the white bits of the foreground image.

And BTW, if that fails, right click the image thumbnail in the Layers dialog dock, and make sure the layer has an Alpha channel. That is necessary for transparency.

2017-08-03 07:27:12 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

Remove Background

And BTW, if that fails, right click the image thumbnail in the Layers dialog dock, and make sure the layer has an Alpha channel. That is necessary for transparency.

thanks for this