RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Text rendering

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Text rendering zylstra 27 May 02:13
  Text rendering Michael Schumacher 27 May 06:47
   Text rendering zylstra 27 May 18:40
    Text rendering Michael Schumacher 27 May 20:15
     Text rendering zylstra 28 May 00:38
      Text rendering Steve Kinney 03 Jun 20:38
       Text rendering zylstra 04 Jun 07:35
   Text rendering zylstra 27 May 18:45
    Text rendering Michael Schumacher 27 May 22:11
2017-05-27 02:13:30 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Text rendering

Hi, as you can see from my attached graphic comparing text rendering, GIMP renders text significantly smaller than other programs, including Paint.net, Image Composer, and MS Word. (Oddly GIMP calls the font Impact Condensed, whereas all the other programs call it Impact. However, I compared renderings with Courier New and got the same results.) Why is this? Can this be fixed?

Michael Schumacher
2017-05-27 06:47:14 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Text rendering

Am 27.05.2017 um 04:13 schrieb zylstra:

Hi, as you can see from my attached graphic comparing text rendering, GIMP renders text significantly smaller than other programs, including Paint.net, Image Composer, and MS Word. (Oddly GIMP calls the font Impact Condensed, whereas all the other programs call it Impact. However, I compared renderings with Courier New and got the same results.) Why is this? Can this be fixed?

Did you use the same unit and the same value for the font size?

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/592/original/text_rendering_comparison.png

If you have e.g. used pixels in GIMP, and point in the other applications, then the results may vary.

Modern Points are defined as 1/72th of an inch, and thus depend on the image's ppi value - in GIMP 2.8, the PPI value is 72 ppi by default, so it can be hard to notice a difference because one 1px equals 1 pt for this value (we're changing it to 300 PPI for 2.10, btw).

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
2017-05-27 18:40:52 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Text rendering

Am 27.05.2017 um 04:13 schrieb zylstra: Did you use the same unit and the same value for the font size?

I thought I used 30 pt font for all examples, but I just tried GIMP again see that the font is 99 pixels high - much bigger that the other ones. I must have set the value first then changed the unit, which changes the value again. This, combined with the fact that the text must be highlighted to change it, made it difficult to determine what size I was creating. But the size is still much different than the other programs, only much larger now.

If you have e.g. used pixels in GIMP, and point in the other applications, then the results may vary.

Modern Points are defined as 1/72th of an inch, and thus depend on the image's ppi value - in GIMP 2.8, the PPI value is 72 ppi by default, so
it can be hard to notice a difference because one 1px equals 1 pt for this value (we're changing it to 300 PPI for 2.10, btw).

Good info. Thanks.

2017-05-27 18:45:34 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Text rendering

By the way, the fact that the text must be highlighted makes sense. I was just coming from Image Composer, where all text in a selected box changes together.

Michael Schumacher
2017-05-27 20:15:43 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Text rendering

Am 27.05.2017 um 20:40 schrieb zylstra:

Am 27.05.2017 um 04:13 schrieb zylstra: Did you use the same unit and the same value for the font size?

I thought I used 30 pt font for all examples, but I just tried GIMP again see that the font is 99 pixels high - much bigger that the other ones. I must have set the value first then changed the unit, which changes the value again. This, combined with the fact that the text must be highlighted to change it, made it difficult to determine what size I was creating. But the size is still much different than the other programs, only much larger now.

Did you make sure to use the same PPI value for the image in all applications?

Regards,
Michael
Michael Schumacher
2017-05-27 22:11:02 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Text rendering

Am 27.05.2017 um 20:45 schrieb zylstra:

By the way, the fact that the text must be highlighted makes sense. I was just coming from Image Composer, where all text in a selected box changes together.

It doesn't have to be highlighted if you only change the settings for the whole text layer in the text tool options.

This does not work if you have created at least one span of text by selecting it and changing its format with the on-canvas controls, though.

We know that this can feel weird: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=631934

We also know that highlighting is getting in the way: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=682764

Suggestions and/or patches for overcoming both issues are welcome.

Regards,
Michael
2017-05-28 00:38:37 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Text rendering

What do those programs use for PPI? I think Paint.net uses 96 PPI. And how do I change the PPI in GIMP?

It doesn't have to be highlighted if you only change the settings for the whole text layer in the text tool options.

This does not work if you have created at least one span of text by selecting it and changing its format with the on-canvas controls, though.

We know that this can feel weird: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=631934

We also know that highlighting is getting in the way: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=682764

Suggestions and/or patches for overcoming both issues are welcome.

OK, I'll definitely report back if I dig in further.

Steve Kinney
2017-06-03 20:38:10 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Text rendering

On 05/27/2017 08:38 PM, zylstra wrote:

What do those programs use for PPI? I think Paint.net uses 96 PPI. And how do I change the PPI in GIMP?

Most applications use 72 DPI as their default resolution.

One way to find the DPI resolution specified in the header of an image is to load it in the GIMP and do Image > Scale. The existing DPI value is shown in the dialog box. To change the DPI, just enter your new DPI value and "Scale" the image. All this will do - unless you entered new dimensions as well - is change the DPI specified in the file header.

If you change your image size from pixels to inches or another physical dimension in the Scale dialog, the DPI is used by the GIMP to calculate the new dimensions in pixels when actually resizing the image. This is very convenient when, for instance, exporting images for print at 300 DPI.

:o)

2017-06-04 07:35:07 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Text rendering

Is it possible to for GIMP to display (and export) text at the same size as other programs if I use the same unit and the same value for the font sizes? If so, how? What must I set in GIMP? Do you experience what I do? Or does GIMP display (and export) the same size text across programs on your computer?