RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Odd tool behavior: pencil, eraser, and airbrush

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Odd tool behavior: pencil, eraser, and airbrush Ross Martinek 15 Apr 19:14
  Odd tool behavior: pencil, eraser, and airbrush Ofnuts 15 Apr 19:52
   DDE6C993-35BF-4853-A876-6BE... 17 Apr 13:24
    Odd tool behavior: pencil, eraser, and airbrush Ofnuts 17 Apr 13:23
Ross Martinek
2017-04-15 19:14:34 UTC (about 7 years ago)

OS 10.11.6, GIMP 2.8.18, Huion Tablet Driver 11.0.8.

Problem 1: I have several custom pencils and erasers. The erasers are 1 pixel wide, 3 pixels wide, and 10 pixels wide. All the pencils are 1 pixel wide, but different colors, one of which is the default black.

When I switch from pencil to eraser, everything is fine. If I switch back without changing the eraser, I get the same pencil with the same color. However, if I switch erasers before returning to the pencil, the pencil always switches to the default black color, rather than the color of the previously used pencil. This does not happen with any other tools.

Any ideas why this occurs and how to fix it?

Problem 2: When switching tools the program sometimes doesn’t take the first click on a different tool. May take several. Occasionally it will seem to select the proper tool, but when I move onto the work area, the previous tool remains selected.

Is this possibly a tablet driver problem, or something else?

Problem 3: When I first start using the tablet (not when first connected), GIMP switches to the airbrush tool, regardless of which tool was previously selected. It can take several tries to get the proper tool selected.

Ross

Ofnuts
2017-04-15 19:52:35 UTC (about 7 years ago)

On 15/04/17 21:14, Ross Martinek wrote:

Problem 1: I have several custom pencils and erasers. The erasers are 1 pixel wide, 3 pixels wide, and 10 pixels wide. All the pencils are 1 pixel wide, but different colors, one of which is the default black.

When I switch from pencil to eraser, everything is fine. If I switch back without changing the eraser, I get the same pencil with the same color. However, if I switch erasers before returning to the pencil, the pencil always switches to the default black color, rather than the color of the previously used pencil. This does not happen with any other tools.

Problem 2: When switching tools the program sometimes doesn’t take the first click on a different tool. May take several. Occasionally it will seem to select the proper tool, but when I move onto the work area, the previous tool remains selected.

Problem 3: When I first start using the tablet (not when first connected), GIMP switches to the airbrush tool, regardless of which tool was previously selected. It can take several tries to get the proper tool selected.

Ross

What are the setting in Edit/Preferences:

* Tool options: "Save options on exit" or not? Any paint potions shared between tools?
* Input devices: "Save input device settings on exit" or not?

If you have Windows>Dockable dialogs>Status, are the displayed tool options (and active pointing device) coherent with what you experience?

Ofnuts
2017-04-17 13:23:57 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Not an OSX user... I'm surprised you have three devices for you tablet... Also, according to the device status, one end of you stylus as the eraser attached to it, while the other has the brush. And even with this display you get the airbrush?

On 15/04/17 22:10, Ross Martinek wrote:

Ross

On Apr 15, 2017, at 2:52 PM, Ofnuts > wrote:

On 15/04/17 21:14, Ross Martinek wrote:

Ross

What are the setting in Edit/Preferences:

* Tool options: "Save options on exit" or not? Any paint potions shared between tools?

Save options on exit is checked.
Shared between tools: Dynamics and Pattern.

* Input devices: "Save input device settings on exit" or not?

Not checked.

If you have Windows>Dockable dialogs>Status, are the displayed tool options (and active pointing device) coherent with what you experience?

Here is a picture of the Device status window. When I follow the steps I outlined, Core pointer changes from this brown to the default black when I switch erasers, then go back to the pen.

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list