RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Text input difficulties in GIMP dialogue boxes - please help

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Text input difficulties in GIMP dialogue boxes - please help Stephen Tame2 10 Mar 11:01
  Text input difficulties in GIMP dialogue boxes - please help Michael Schumacher 10 Mar 21:47
   Text input difficulties in GIMP dialogue boxes - please help Laurieb 09 Apr 11:10
    Text input difficulties in GIMP dialogue boxes - please help Carol Spears 10 Apr 19:50
Stephen Tame2
2017-03-10 11:01:42 UTC (about 7 years ago)

I'm using GIMP 2.8.4 on OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

When I input text into GIMP, for example into a text layer, or changing the contents of filename in 'save as' box, the text is treated as a keyboard shortcut, rather than as input into the text.

For example; In an open GIMP document I double click on a text layer, select the text tool and click in the existing text. I can select existing text, I can delete existing text, but if I type, then typing 'a' opens the airbrush, 'f' opens the free select tool etc
If I 'save as' and try to change the filename, I cannot type into the box, but when I try, I can see changes happening behind the dialogue box, which suggest that, again, it is being read as a keyboard shortcut.

I've had some success with a workaround by pasting text from openoffice into the text editor, but it's pretty clunky - I have to go back to that external application, and also create a new text layer if I want to change part of an existing text layer.

I'm quite confused by this, and grateful for any suggestions as to how to fix it, many thanks.

I had the same problem with a previous version of GIMP - updating has made no difference.
I don't have this problem with any other software

Michael Schumacher
2017-03-10 21:47:16 UTC (about 7 years ago)

On 03/10/2017 12:01 PM, Stephen Tame2 wrote:

I'm using GIMP 2.8.4 on OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

The current version is 2.8.20.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
2017-04-09 11:10:05 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

I am having the same problem
I’m using Gimp 2.8.2 on macOS Sierra 10.12.4

When I try to input text using the text tool, if I type an A the airbrush tool is selected, if I type an R the rectangle select tool is selected, if I type an E the Ellipse select tool is selected S selects the smudge tool, etc.
I think you get the idea from those examples. Whatever I type it does not appear in the text area selected.

Carol Spears
2017-04-10 19:50:59 UTC (about 7 years ago)

T

Carol Spears

On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 7:10 AM, Laurieb wrote:

I am having the same problem
I’m using Gimp 2.8.2 on macOS Sierra 10.12.4

When I try to input text using the text tool, if I type an A the airbrush tool is selected,
if I type an R the rectangle select tool is selected, if I type an E the Ellipse select tool is selected S selects the smudge tool, etc.
I think you get the idea from those examples. Whatever I type it does not appear in the text area selected.

--
Laurieb (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list