RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp2.2 and Copy & Paste to OpenOffice

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp2.2 and Copy & Paste to OpenOffice Duarte Oliveira 31 Dec 04:18
  Gimp2.2 and Copy & Paste to OpenOffice Sven Neumann 31 Dec 15:42
  Gimp2.2 and Copy & Paste to OpenOffice David Neary 31 Dec 16:29
   Gimp2.2 and Copy & Paste to OpenOffice Sven Neumann 31 Dec 19:41
Gimp2.2 and Copy & Paste to OpenOffice Bob Long 31 Dec 08:58
  Gimp2.2 and Copy & Paste to OpenOffice Sven Neumann 31 Dec 15:52
Duarte Oliveira
2004-12-31 04:18:24 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hello All!

The What's New list of gimp 2.2 says this version has a better copy&paste from gimp to other application (like OpenOffice) but i can't copy&paste from gimp2.2 to OpenOffice 1.1.3

I compiled gimp 2.2 under Suse 9.2 with the default options.

Thanks in advance.

Bob Long
2004-12-31 08:58:38 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Friday, December 31, 2004 1:18 PM [GMT+1=CET], Duarte Oliveira wrote:

The What's New list of gimp 2.2 says this version has a better copy&paste from gimp to other application (like OpenOffice) but i can't copy&paste from gimp2.2 to OpenOffice 1.1.3

I compiled gimp 2.2 under Suse 9.2 with the default options.

I use Windows, so just guessing here. In the GIMP for Windows, Edit|Copy will not paste to other applications. But Edit |Copy to Clipboard does. See if you have that option.

Bob Long

Sven Neumann
2004-12-31 15:42:24 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Duarte Oliveira writes:

That's a problem in OpenOffice, it works fine with Abiword for example. I don't recall what exactly was the problem with copy and pasting to OOo but I recall that it needs to be fixed in OpenOffice.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-12-31 15:52:48 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

"Bob Long" writes:

I use Windows, so just guessing here. In the GIMP for Windows, Edit|Copy will not paste to other applications. But Edit |Copy to Clipboard does. See if you have that option.

That's specific to the Win32 platform. On X11, using GIMP 2.2, Edit->Copy and Edit->Paste work between applications. Of course only if the other application supports passing image data over the X11 clipboard. Not many apps do and those that do don't necessarily do it correctly.

Sven

David Neary
2004-12-31 16:29:32 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi Duarte,

Duarte Oliveira wrote:

OpenOffice doesn't yet support the various drops which the GIMP provides.

A short explanation will help:

When an application puts something on the clipboard, it does so by registering a number of mime types that it can handle - thus, when you select part of a web page in Firefox, the CLIPBOARD clipboard is taken by Firefox, and it registers a number of mime types - text/plain and text/html for example. Then when you drag & drop the selection to another application, the application chooses the format in which it wants the source data, and requests it (via X) from the source application.

The GIMP now supports the following mime types for copy & paste and drag & drop data:

Drops & pastes: file
text/plain
text/uri-list
image/png
image/jpeg

A bunch more image/*s

image/svg+xml

Drags & copies: image/svg+xml (from paths dock)
image/png
image/jpeg
A bunch more image/*s (from layers, selections, bunch of other stuff).

So if OOo supports image/png or image/svg+xml from the clipboard, it'll automatically work with the GIMP.

Cheers, Dave.

Sven Neumann
2004-12-31 19:41:30 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

David Neary writes:

So if OOo supports image/png or image/svg+xml from the clipboard, it'll automatically work with the GIMP.

GIMP doesn't announce the clipboard as image/svg+xml. If we ever introduce a vectors clipboard, we would probably use image/svg+xml. For image copy-and-paste, the other apps needs to be able to deal with one of the available formats that GdkPixbuf is able to write. To get a list of these formats, start gimp with the --verbose option. It will output something like:

GimpClipboard: writable pixbuf format: image/png GimpClipboard: writable pixbuf format: image/x-icon GimpClipboard: writable pixbuf format: image/jpeg

That's the list of mime types that we announce for image data in the clipboard.

Sven