RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Q's & Help from you all for me (Pat Hammons)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Q's & Help from you all for me (Pat Hammons) Patricia Hammons 22 Feb 00:03
  Q's & Help from you all for me (Pat Hammons) Steve Kinney 23 Feb 11:54
Patricia Hammons
2017-02-22 00:03:11 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Hello, my name is Pat Hammons & I live in Louisville, KY. I am a senior grad student & senior (age 61) at U of L. I have been working on a 1-year grad project that will become due at the end of April or 1st of May, that has been extended into this year also. I started this project last year & my class is an IS/RP (Independent Study/Research Project) so I am working on this solo project myself & check in with my teacher either by phone, 1 monthly on-campus meeting or SKYPE.

My project is all the Homicides & Shootings that have happened in Chicago, IL., that seen over 750+ Homicides & over 4000 Shootings last year alone. What I am doing for a project is a massive Power-Point presentation that the minimum is 50 slides & Max is 80 slides & will be presenting it to 2 classes, 1 undergrad & 1 grad class, plus getting a final grade.

I have amassed a lot of photos on either Homicides or Shootings in the last year by using 2 main sources: CT-Chicago Tribune or CST-Chicago Sun Times that I receive online thru their e-newspaper each day thru my e-mail. I also have been following both of their web pages for Homicides & Shootings where they will track this by numbers & where I can tap onto it that talks about a specific story.

What I have done is saved many of these images by doing a "Save Picture As" under such things as: Crime Scenes, Homicides, Shootings, etc., and want to incorporate them into my PP under different titles for each category(ies). So at school, U of L, one of the people I talk to on a regular basis asked me if I had Photoshop - I do not. So then they said, well you can "download" GIMP & I had no clue what they were talking about. Since I sometimes get a discount on software, I had to have them tell me a little bit about it. So now I'm turning to you all for a better understanding of GIMP & if you think I can use it at all for my grad school PP presentation I am getting ready to start putting together.

What I do have that may be similar to this is for my camera using EasyShare Software when I download my pictures that I can resize, crop, red-eye out, etc. **But I do have to advise you of a medical condition I have that may help you to understand why I need some extra help. As I said, I am 61, senior grad student - but I also have MD-D which is Macular Degeneration-Dry, which is an inherited eye disease I got diagnosed with 2.5-3 years ago. My mother had it for the last 15 years of her life & she died in 2012 at age 95. They thought I had beaten the odds on not getting it & it was misdiagnosed as being part of my migraines I have had since my early 20's. Come to find out it was not & that is why I was having trouble reading my textbooks or taking tests, I could & cannot see stuff clearly anymore. My mother had the "wet" version & never "dry" and she went Legally Blind, which what I have is 1 step below going Legally Blind. So I am taking (4) horse pills a day & (2) Fish Oil pills trying to save my sight & going to the eye doctor every 6 months. I have to read my textbooks now as a PDF. So everything in my life has changed & I need to see if your program would be worth download & will I be able to learn it & see if big enough?

I know this is a lot to unload on you guys here, but school suggested it thru my counselor at the DRC-Disability Resource Center that helps me with a lot of my schoolwork on getting things like my textbooks (now PDF's) or taking tests to where say a 30-minute test online for me is extended to 1-hour because it takes me long to read the Q. I don't get extra help on tests, I just get extra time, since I either know it or I don't kind of thing.

So in closing, if you can please get back with me, I would deeply appreciate it very much. I have a lot of ideas in my head on how I want to do this massive project, but I want to make things "pop" in a way so that the class is not bored looking at all numbers & spice it up a bit using extra stuff if I can or like using animation icons, etc., but all dealing with police themes that use Arrests, Homicides(chalk outline, crime scene tape), Shootings (guns, etc.) and stuff like this. So I know it is a challenge but I just need some extra help. **I have Windows7 on my laptop which is an HP Pavilion G7-2017 Notebook PC if this helps you in any way. Otherwise, I don't know what else to do to maybe help me & someone suggested that I download your program. So I thank you in advance & hope that you can help me in some way. Thanks, Pat Hammons.

Steve Kinney
2017-02-23 11:54:49 UTC (about 7 years ago)

On 02/21/2017 07:03 PM, Patricia Hammons wrote:

[...]

What I do have that may be similar to this is for my camera using EasyShare Software when I download my pictures that I can resize, crop, red-eye out, etc. **But I do have to advise you of a medical condition I have that may help you to understand why I need some extra help. As I said, I am 61, senior grad student - but I also have MD-D which is Macular Degeneration-Dry, which is an inherited eye disease I got diagnosed with 2.5-3 years ago. My mother had it for the last 15 years of her life & she died in 2012 at age 95. They thought I had beaten the odds on not getting it & it was misdiagnosed as being part of my migraines I have had since my early 20's. Come to find out it was not & that is why I was having trouble reading my textbooks or taking tests, I could & cannot see stuff clearly anymore. My mother had the "wet" version & never "dry" and she went Legally Blind, which what I have is 1 step below going Legally Blind. So I am taking (4) horse pills a day & (2) Fish Oil pills trying to save my sight & going to the eye doctor every 6 months. I have to read my textbooks now as a PDF. So everything in my life has changed & I need to see if your program would be worth download & will I be able to learn it & see if big enough?

[...]

Hi Particia,

The first thing I would suggest is, get a larger monitor. The biggest one you can afford - and if price is a problem, scout around for used ones. You can plug a monitor right into your laptop, tweak the resolution and viola: World of problems solved, across /all/ the things you use a computer for. This is especially important for photo editing, since you need to be able to see the "big picture" as well as details as clearly as possible. You will also want both your image /and/ the GIMP's toolbox on the screen at the same time.

The GIMP itself is here: https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

It's Free Software, no fees, no ads, no BS.

You can also install a GIMP theme with larger than normal icons; giving up a little screen space for easier to find buttons sounds like a good trade off in your situation:

http://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-GIMP-2-8-Large-size-Icons-Themes

Other than that, I suggest the "usual stuff" for beginners:

* There are a LOT of good tutorials on the Interent for doing specific tasks in the GIMP - seek and ye shall find.

* Don't neglect to search YouTube for tutorials on how to do things in the GIMP - there are a LOT of them, they vary in quality but the better ones are excellent.

* When you get stuck, ask here. The Gimp-user list is the closest thing to a help desk we have.

I have a tutorial up that you might find useful now /and/ later, as it briefly covers a lot of concepts about setting up the GIMP, "tricky new ideas" like the difference between "saving" and "exporting" a file, what layers and masks are, some custom setup ideas that you might find useful /after/ you have the very very basics under control, and links to other resources.

http://pilobilus.net/gimp_tutorial.html

The GIMP is a /huge/ tool that does /tons/ of things. The good news is, you don't need to understand more than maybe 5% of those things to get it to do everything you need for your project. Don't let it overwhelm you; DO play with it just to see what this or that thingy is/does/means etc.

:o)

Steve