RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

gimp 2.0 woes - screenshots, text, and interface

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

15 of 15 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

gimp 2.0 woes - screenshots, text, and interface Peter Jay Salzman 23 Dec 00:30
  gimp 2.0 woes - screenshots, text, and interface Carol Spears 23 Dec 01:42
   gimp 2.0 woes - screenshots, text, and interface Peter Jay Salzman 23 Dec 02:11
    gimp 2.0 woes - screenshots, text, and interface Carol Spears 23 Dec 03:31
     gimp 2.0 woes - screenshots, text, and interface Peter Jay Salzman 23 Dec 03:51
      gimp 2.0 woes - screenshots, text, and interface Carol Spears 23 Dec 05:10
       gimp 2.0 woes - screenshots, text, and interface Peter Jay Salzman 23 Dec 05:27
       gimp 2.0 woes - screenshots, text, and interface David Neary 23 Dec 08:24
      gimp 2.0 woes - screenshots, text, and interface Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 23 Dec 13:55
       gimp 2.0 woes - screenshots, text, and interface GSR - FR 23 Dec 16:44
        gimp 2.0 woes - screenshots, text, and interface Peter Jay Salzman 23 Dec 16:51
         gimp 2.0 woes - screenshots, text, and interface GSR - FR 23 Dec 17:41
          gimp 2.0 woes - screenshots, text, and interface Peter Jay Salzman 23 Dec 19:09
           gimp 2.0 woes - screenshots, text, and interface GSR - FR 24 Dec 00:20
        gimp 2.0 woes - screenshots, text, and interface Sven Neumann 23 Dec 23:13
Peter Jay Salzman
2004-12-23 00:30:05 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi all,

I'm on Debian woody (testing), using gimp 2.0.6 with the enlightenment window manager (no GNOME/KDE) and have a few problems.

1. I can't take single window screenshots. Everything looks the same as with gimp 1.3. I click on "Acquire | Screenshot" and make sure that "a Single Window" is checked.

However, when I go to take the screenshot, the screenshot is of the entire screen, not just one window.

Single window screenshots have not worked for me since the day I upgraded to gimp 2.x.

What's going on? I can't believe that single window screenshots work for the rest of the world, but not for me.... :)

2. How do you move text? Once I lay down text onto an image, I can't seem to move it around in the image like I could with gimp1.2. It's almost like the text is not on the image, but I can see it on the image.

3. GNOME2 is ugly. And it's significantly slower than GNOME1.2. Is there any way to get the GNOME1 interface back?

Thanks! Pete

Carol Spears
2004-12-23 01:42:53 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 06:30:05PM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

Hi all,

I'm on Debian woody (testing), using gimp 2.0.6 with the enlightenment window manager (no GNOME/KDE) and have a few problems.

first of all, testing is Debian sarge. it is worth it to upgrade.

1. I can't take single window screenshots. Everything looks the same as with gimp 1.3. I click on "Acquire | Screenshot" and make sure that "a Single Window" is checked.

i guess this is some argument between gimp and enlightenment. i also guess that both of these are old as well. there have been many agreements about what desktop things get named and passed back and forth since woody was testing.

What's going on? I can't believe that single window screenshots work for the rest of the world, but not for me.... :)

if you are alone it is because you are the only person at this moment running gimp 2.0 on enlightenment on woody. you might be alone there. please do not take this as pressure to change what you are doing, however.

2. How do you move text? Once I lay down text onto an image, I can't seem to move it around in the image like I could with gimp1.2. It's almost like the text is not on the image, but I can see it on the image.

you move it with the move tool still. the default action is to only move it if you are touching non alpha pixels thought. make sure the correct layer is highlighted in the layers dialog and zoom in if necessary to grap ahold of painted pixels. or fiddle with some of the things in Dialogs -->Tool Options. you can move it, it just might not be easy or done the same way.

3. GNOME2 is ugly. And it's significantly slower than GNOME1.2. Is there any way to get the GNOME1 interface back?

ask more questions like this and they will force you to shutup until you read the HIG like they did me.

if you do not find this interface attractive or intuitive, tell it to the HIG!

The mathematics of physics has become ever more abstract, rather than more complicated. The mind of God appears to be abstract but not complicated. He also appears to like group theory. -- Tony Zee's "Fearful Symmetry"

the quickest (also the dirtiest) way to fix all this:

1) apt-get remove gimp 2) change your debian sources. everywhere it says "woody" make it say "testing"
3) apt-get update
4) apt-get install gimp

then to undo it and keep everything on your computer the same continue with:
5) change the debian sources back so that it says woody 6) apt-get update

and some sort of ethical thing makes me need to note here that this is a terrible way to run your computer!

happy gimping, carol

Peter Jay Salzman
2004-12-23 02:11:39 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Wed 22 Dec 04, 4:42 PM, Carol Spears said:

Hi all,

Hrrrmm. Sorry. Right before posting, I had *just* sent an update to the Debian Jigdo HOWTO, and the last topic I wrote about was jigdo on Woody. I had Woody on the brain. :)

I run Debian testing. Sarge.

i guess this is some argument between gimp and enlightenment. i also guess that both of these are old as well.

Not really. Gimp, as I said above, is 2.0.6. Woody and sarge happen to have enlightenment packages with the same order versiontude.

I could try 2.2.x from Sid.

the quickest (also the dirtiest) way to fix all this:

1) apt-get remove gimp 2) change your debian sources. everywhere it says "woody" make it say "testing"
3) apt-get update
4) apt-get install gimp

then to undo it and keep everything on your computer the same continue with:
5) change the debian sources back so that it says woody 6) apt-get update

and some sort of ethical thing makes me need to note here that this is a terrible way to run your computer!

I would certainly agree with you! It IS a terrible way to mix and match packages. Apt-get pinning is a far superior way of doing this!

I'll try running twm and see if that works. I'm guessing that everyone knows how to talk to twm.

Thanks!
Pete

Carol Spears
2004-12-23 03:31:19 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 08:11:39PM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

Hi all,

Hrrrmm. Sorry. Right before posting, I had *just* sent an update to the Debian Jigdo HOWTO, and the last topic I wrote about was jigdo on Woody. I had Woody on the brain. :)

i am running sarge. iirc, it is fairly easy to build the new tarball on sarge. it has been fairly easy up until recently to build the cvs version and the lack of ease is not debians fault.

easy and fun, depending on how you define fun.

carol

Peter Jay Salzman
2004-12-23 03:51:53 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Wed 22 Dec 04, 6:31 PM, Carol Spears said:

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 08:11:39PM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

Hi all,

i am running sarge. iirc, it is fairly easy to build the new tarball on sarge. it has been fairly easy up until recently to build the cvs version and the lack of ease is not debians fault.

easy and fun, depending on how you define fun.

Coolness. I like fun. ;-)

Turns out that single window screenshots work on twm. Must be some kind of wierd interaction between enlightenment and gimp. So I'm going to guess that rebuilding from source isn't going work.

I don't see any bug reports under gimp or enlightenment on this issue. Wouldn't even know which package to file a bug report on. *sigh*.

Maybe I'll just switch window managers whenever I want to take a screenshot.

Kinda sucks to have to do that. But if I were on Windows facing the same conundrum, it would be kinda hard to switch explorer.exe with another GUI shell. Man, even when stuff goes wrong on GNU/Linux, there never seems to be any dead ends. I always seem to find a way around any problem... ;-)

Thanks! Pete

Carol Spears
2004-12-23 05:10:59 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 09:51:53PM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

Turns out that single window screenshots work on twm. Must be some kind of wierd interaction between enlightenment and gimp. So I'm going to guess that rebuilding from source isn't going work.

long ago, gimp got its screenshots via xwd. i have no idea if this is still the case, however, i wonder if xwd works on sarge enlightenment.

carol

Peter Jay Salzman
2004-12-23 05:27:24 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Wed 22 Dec 04, 8:10 PM, Carol Spears said:

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 09:51:53PM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

long ago, gimp got its screenshots via xwd. i have no idea if this is still the case, however, i wonder if xwd works on sarge enlightenment.

carol

Heh. Screenshots to standard out. Love it! :)

Turns out that xwd didn't work, HOWEVER, playing around with it revealed something really curious.

At first it just gave me a black thumbnail looking thing. I then switched over to the first virtual screen (I have 8 screens total) and it worked great. xwud and gimp both showed perfect single window screenshots.

I then did the same thing with gimp, and by Zeus, it worked.

So it appears that gimp and xwd screenshots work on the first virtual desktop. Doesn't work on any additional desktops (I think Enlightenment comes with 2 by default as shipped with Debian). Each virtual desktop has 2 "screens".

OK. Problem solved. Thank you very much for suggesting that. I don't think I would've found that if you hadn't made that suggestion. And it makes it perfectly clear what package deserves the bug report. :)

Now I'll just sit back and let Google index this thread for future generations. :) Thanks, Carol. You're awesome!

Pete

David Neary
2004-12-23 08:24:47 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Carol Spears wrote:

No, brix fixed this in 1.3.x.

Cheers, Dave.

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2004-12-23 13:55:42 UTC (over 19 years ago)

D'oh!
Is not it faster and easier to take a screenshot of the whole sreen and crop the result?
You will have the screenshot loaded on the GIMP not on some dummy viewer after all.

Kinda sucks to have to do that. But if I were on Windows facing the same conundrum, it would be kinda hard to switch explorer.exe with another GUI shell. Man, even when stuff goes wrong on GNU/Linux, there never seems to be any dead ends. I always seem to find a way around any problem... ;-)

Thanks! Pete

Regards,
Joao

GSR - FR
2004-12-23 16:44:56 UTC (over 19 years ago)

gwidion@mpc.com.br (2004-12-23 at 1055.42 -0200):

Is not it faster and easier to take a screenshot of the whole sreen and crop the result?
You will have the screenshot loaded on the GIMP not on some dummy viewer after all.

I wonder how having to crop, specially if you want it pixel perfect, is faster.

GSR

Peter Jay Salzman
2004-12-23 16:51:59 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Thu 23 Dec 04, 4:44 PM, GSR - FR said:

gwidion@mpc.com.br (2004-12-23 at 1055.42 -0200):

GSR

Well, cropping is prolly much faster than killing the wm, editing .xinitrc, restarting the wm, etc. for a casual screenshot.

But you're right about the pixel perfect part. It would be *seriously* inconvenient getting it absolutely perfect.

Thankfully, the problem was solved! :-)

Pete

GSR - FR
2004-12-23 17:41:58 UTC (over 19 years ago)

p@dirac.org (2004-12-23 at 1051.59 -0500):

Well, cropping is prolly much faster than killing the wm, editing .xinitrc, restarting the wm, etc. for a casual screenshot.

Tried E-ScreenShoot (an epplet)? E based app if what you want is casual screenshots.

GSR

Peter Jay Salzman
2004-12-23 19:09:48 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Thu 23 Dec 04, 5:41 PM, GSR - FR said:

p@dirac.org (2004-12-23 at 1051.59 -0500):

Tried E-ScreenShoot (an epplet)? E based app if what you want is casual screenshots.

GSR

Holy moley. I was only vaguely aware that enlightenment had epplets, but didn't know much about them.

What's really wierd is that the Debian epplet package is simply called "epplets", and anything to denote its relationship to enlightenment, like "enlightenment-epplets", so 'dpkg -l "*enlightenment*"' won't show its existence.

Worse, the enlightenment package neither recommends nor suggests epplets.

How wierd! Thanks for the suggestion!

Pete (waaaay off topic, so I'll just be quiet now) ;)

Sven Neumann
2004-12-23 23:13:20 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

GSR - FR writes:

Use a solid colored background and autocrop?!

Sven

GSR - FR
2004-12-24 00:20:45 UTC (over 19 years ago)

p@dirac.org (2004-12-23 at 1309.48 -0500):

Holy moley. I was only vaguely aware that enlightenment had epplets, but didn't know much about them.

I thought it shipped with some directly or as related package.

What's really wierd is that the Debian epplet package is simply called "epplets", and anything to denote its relationship to enlightenment, like "enlightenment-epplets", so 'dpkg -l "*enlightenment*"' won't show its existence.

apt-cache search enlightenment reports epplets. ;] But yeah, it could be listed in suggestions or recommendations.

On a side note #e did not seem really colaborative about what is going on inside E to cause that side effect. I found some old posts about other apps having issues capturing while E is running, so it does not seem to have catched enough interest on their side: http://www.swarm.org/pipermail/support/2001-June/010688.html

Maybe you could fill a bug in debian about this and hope that gets more attention (or an explanation about why fails, E should be EWMH compliant by now, but all the "some workspaces work" sounds rare).

GSR