RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Changing color scheme across all layers in a gif

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Changing color scheme across all layers in a gif trevard 01 Feb 23:39
  Changing color scheme across all layers in a gif Ofnuts 02 Feb 14:25
   Changing color scheme across all layers in a gif trevard 02 Feb 15:05
    Changing color scheme across all layers in a gif Ofnuts 02 Feb 18:03
     Changing color scheme across all layers in a gif trevard 02 Feb 18:39
      Changing color scheme across all layers in a gif rich2005 02 Feb 21:05
      Changing color scheme across all layers in a gif Ofnuts 03 Feb 11:34
2017-02-01 23:39:43 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

I have a gif that is a cool (blue) color scheme and I need the same exact gif but warm (red) colors.

Is there a way to convert the color scheme across all layers from cool to warm?

I have included the gif in question and an image that reflects the color scheme I am hoping to convert it to.

-Thanks

Ofnuts
2017-02-02 14:25:24 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Two ways:

Simple:

Image>Mode RGB Colors>Rotate colors

Hardcore:

Windows>Dockable dialogs>Color map Edit the color values in the color map

On 02/02/17 00:39, trevard wrote:

I have a gif that is a cool (blue) color scheme and I need the same exact gif but warm (red) colors.

Is there a way to convert the color scheme across all layers from cool to warm?

I have included the gif in question and an image that reflects the color scheme I am hoping to convert it to.

-Thanks

Attachments: * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/449/original/arrow_l_l_off.gif * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/450/original/arrow_l_l_off-Hot.png

2017-02-02 15:05:50 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

I appreciate the reply but I'm not even getting close with either of those methods.

-Thanks

Ofnuts
2017-02-02 18:03:48 UTC (about 7 years ago)

On 02/02/17 16:05, trevard wrote:

I appreciate the reply but I'm not even getting close with either of those methods.

-Thanks

Hmmm. Several layers... then only the colormap method would work. Now, "cold" and "warm" have no meaning in Gimp. What has a meaning is "this R,G,B triplet becomes this R,G,B one".

If you post a frame of your GIF, we could better understand what you want to do.

2017-02-02 18:39:17 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

Hmmm. Several layers... then only the colormap method would work. Now, "cold" and "warm" have no meaning in Gimp. What has a meaning is "this R,G,B triplet becomes this R,G,B one".

If you post a frame of your GIF, we could better understand what you want to do.

Sure thing I obviously have near no experience with GIMP and I truly do appreciate your efforts to help me. I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "frame" but I included a screen shot and the GIF itself hope that helps.

rich2005
2017-02-02 21:05:18 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Sure thing I obviously have near no experience with GIMP and I truly do appreciate your efforts to help me. I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "frame" but I included a screen shot and the GIF itself hope that helps.

A frame is a layer, it even shows that in your screenshot.

The color-map is too complicated to easily edit so change the gif color mode to RGB Image -> Mode -> RGB

The gif is optimized so un optimize it Filters -> Animation -> Unoptimize

One way (there will be others) is make a color mask of the arrow (incl border pixels) in red.

That is then merged as an overlay with layer mode = color and reduced opacity (75%) for each of the 21 layers in turn.

Very tedious but there are plugins to help. Ofnuts has one 'interleave-layers' see:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-tools/files/scripts/

about 30 entries down

In practice looks like the attached screenshot

then the result has to be re-optimized and exported as an animated gif.

To be honest, not that easy for a beginner.

Ofnuts
2017-02-03 11:34:13 UTC (about 7 years ago)

On 02/02/17 19:39, trevard wrote:

Attachments: * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/451/original/arrow.PNG * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/452/original/arrow_r_r_on.gif

A layer in the GImp image becomes a "frame" in the GIF animation.

So, there could be a fast an easy solution:

- Get the interleave-layers script from here: http://gimp-tools.sourceforge.net/animationtools.shtml

- Add a layer to your image, fill it with required hue, then make it invisible

- Using Interleave-layers in "title" mode, interleave/merge it using the "Hue" blend mode

For more control:

- Instead of filling the whole layer, fill just the shape of the arrow, leave the rest transparent

- Using Interleave-layers in "title" mode, interleave/merge it using the "Color" blend mode

The script just uses the standard blend mode, so before calling the script you can make a test by changing the blend mode of the added layer, and adjusting the color for the required results.